What's new

Aftermarket cruise control

Murse

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Leadville, OK
My stepdaughter has a Pontiac that remarkably does not have cruise control. I even had to go out and look for myself and, nope. This is her only bitch about it.
I've looked on Amazon and all I see is Chinese kits with questionable reviews.

Anybody have any experience with this?

download (2).jpeg

[486 said:
;n231342]

this
on anything drive by wire it is generally just the different steering wheel with the buttons on it

So you're saying all I need to do is get a steering wheel from the same model and the rest will be there to plug into?

probably
they aren't going to design/make/catalog/stock a different harness for the 2% of vehicles that they make without cruise control

On
So you're saying all I need to do is get a steering wheel from the same model and the rest will be there to plug into?

on my in-laws '14 cruze it was as simple as buying a steering wheel with the button in it and installing. Then had to take it to the dealer to flash the ecu to make it work. $100 or so.

[486 said:
;n231354]probably
they aren't going to design/make/catalog/stock a different harness for the 2% of vehicles that they make without cruise control

I'm smelling what you're you're stepping in.

On

on my in-laws '14 cruze it was as simple as buying a steering wheel with the button in it and installing. Then had to take it to the dealer to flash the ecu to make it work. $100 or so.

That's good news.

[486 said:
;n231354]probably

I would not be so sure about that. I built BMWs for a year and each car certainly had its own custom harness based on its options.

My mom has a Ferd Fistiva or something. I call it her little rental car. It has no options at all, no cruise, crank windows.

My friend at the Ferd dealer said cruise can not be added onto it by just putting a steering wheel control on. He said it is not even hardwired to have cruise if it didnt come with it.

I used one of the Dakota Digital ones on my rv. It sucked for the rv since it needs to hold it wide open for so long without letting off at all. It cant handle that and continually loses speed. It might work ok on a car that does not take full throttle 99percent of the time.

I would not push that mess on anyone. She might as well be driving a green Saturn.

Sounds like fun, I'm free tonight. I'll set the cruise and show her all the neat features.

I've heard rumor 90s GM CC modules can easily be wired standalone. Not sure howd that work with DBW though

I used one of the Dakota Digital ones on my rv. It sucked for the rv since it needs to hold it wide open for so long without letting off at all. It cant handle that and continually loses speed. It might work ok on a car that does not take full throttle 99percent of the time.

either grab a late 90s ford electric motor based cruise control unit, or a vacuum pump from the junkyard

That's good news.

Might be able to call the dealer and ask what it would take, even if you source junkyard parts. They bought their car new and to get cruise they would have have to gone to a +$2000 trim package. $300 for a wheel was much better. All the plugs were right there. 15 min install.
They ran into the same thing on their caviler but went with a rosta unit that was a pos. Always overshooting the setpoint.
Factory cruise control is worth it.

[486 said:
;n231435]

either grab a late 90s ford electric motor based cruise control unit, or a vacuum pump from the junkyard

I have a 97or98 f1fucky with a 4.2v6 out in the tree row. Would that have the answer? How would I wire it up. Maybe with a reluctor wheel or something and a regular generic cruise switch.

Might be able to call the dealer and ask what it would take, even if you source junkyard parts. They bought their car new and to get cruise they would have have to gone to a +$2000 trim package. $300 for a wheel was much better. All the plugs were right there. 15 min install.
They ran into the same thing on their caviler but went with a rosta unit that was a pos. Always overshooting the setpoint.
Factory cruise control is worth it.

The Dakota Digital is just a rostra in different package. It even still says rostra on it. I thought I was getting something quality for how much I paid and was very disappointed.

I have a 97or98 f1fucky with a 4.2v6 out in the tree row. Would that have the answer? How would I wire it up. Maybe with a reluctor wheel or something and a regular generic cruise switch.

possibly
they just use a 2-wire sensor for VSS so you could probably grab one of the ABS sensors
then grab the buttons off the steering wheel, or use some pushbuttons with the right value resistors

You might also need a different steering wheel clock-spring; that incorporates the cruise control feature. Mine has cruise / non cruise option for clock-spring.

I would not be so sure about that. I built BMWs for a year and each car certainly had its own custom harness based on its options.

Germans are weird. Every Sprinter has a different set of fuses in box #2 because they only have the fuse positions (sequentially) for the options on the vehicle and the harness to support only the options. This means you could have fuses 1-7 under the seat, or 1-27... and no two are the same unless ordered with the exact same option set.

Looks like it's an 08 G6.

Looking into salvaged ones now.

stop before you waste more time in junkyards. Check the wiring under the steering column cover to see whether it’s wired from factory or not. My ‘06 G6 didn’t and didn’t want to spend lot of time running new wires (or harness swap in a pos)
And replacing whole steering wheel for buttons.

I got this kit and the install is super easy. Buttons is basically a wireless remote. Hook up module’s 3 wires to the car (BCM, power, ground). I know, seem a lot at almost $200 but it work just as expected and fast & easy to install.

Rostra 250-1775 Complete Cruise Control Kit for Chevy Cobalt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046HGC5...HK6GS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=91812054244-20

No cruise is character building.

that way she learns she can work and buy something nicer. My first 3 cars didn’t have cruise or power windows...

Top Back Refresh