What's new

Adventures in dirt track racing...roundy roundy...

My fav RR pattern just some long diagonals to increase side bite. I also diagonal sipe all the way across and straight sipe half. Can’t really see it on that tire, it’s shot, practice only.

5707B732-7741-4026-95C8-2CFD9E33CD68.jpeg

I’m going to wait and see what the 2021 rules will be but I will probably build a tire prep stand, hell I may just buy one. They make grinding and siping much quicker and you can get a needling attachment too. IMHO tire prep makes a huge difference in our class.

What is the average entry cost for something like this?

And thank you for sharing, went to a few races this year at dixie in woodstock, ga. Been to a few at south ga motorsports park as well. Trying to learn about these seems very similar to 7.3 powerstroke tuning, everything is hush hush.

What is the average entry cost for something like this?

And thank you for sharing, went to a few races this year at dixie in woodstock, ga. Been to a few at south ga motorsports park as well. Trying to learn about these seems very similar to 7.3 powerstroke tuning, everything is hush hush.

You can easily be racing for $10k or less depending on class.

Still early but so far there are 73 mods signed in here at the DTWC. Made it through tech and ready for hot laps. Gonna be dry slick which will be sweet cause this longhorn is fast as hell in the slick.

EE153DB7-5D04-489C-A962-AC7C732F5C9F.jpeg

2nd quick in hot lap group and 7th fast in qualifying group 1, waiting for heat race line ups

81030111-7BD6-4B5B-94BB-DE15CB2FD3D0.jpeg

Rained out last night so back at it this morning. Group 1 qualifying stands, group 2 and 3 qualify this morning. We start 3rd in heat one.

We ran a 99 grand marquis in a 24 hour enduro last year. I put a mini spool in it and we had a blast. 4 person team, stock car no glass. We still had ac and the radio. Ended up finishing 9th and was the only RWD car still running at the end. I think we did 2300+ laps on a dirt oval :eek::laughing::laughing: I was questioning my life decisions about an hour in.

Not surprising. The Panther routinely kicks ass at LeMons.

Finished 3rd so we are locked in the big show.

Our bud Chad didn’t fare so well. This ones going to the scrap yard.

4A74AEC0-2354-4ECA-8A77-D8ABD23391B7.jpeg

Broke the RF bilstein off on lap 17. Faded and pulled off not even sure where we finished. Mechanicals suck but it’s just part of racing. Back today to watch the Lucas oil $100k to win Dirt track world championship. Bloomquist actually looked good in the heats last night.T Mac on another level and Kyle Larson missed the set up bad. Larson will have to try to make it from a B main.

two of our locals made the show from the heats, Tim Dohm 6T and his son Zach Dohm 17. Zachs longhorn was really good and he shines in the 100 lap races. Should be a good show.

another local and owner of Kryptonite race cars is running a back the blue wrap.

E696624D-EEE2-47AC-AF6F-443ED4762D8F.jpeg

I just drop this here
Jim Croce; Rapid Roy that stock car boy

Then there is
Marty Robbins; 20th Century Drifter

I started the winter tear down. Ill post a bunch of suspension pics before I yank the quick change out.
The body is off, well the deck is on but its much easier to see whats going on under it.

Dad is parting his out so I will pick up his motor and have it built over the winter.

Let's continue this
Charlie Daniels;
Stroker Ace

The Intimidator
Love him or hate the man could drive fucking car

Last edited:
Jackson Ohio planned a Sunday day race with no fans so we loaded up and headed west. A new car on a new track in the dry slick. Hell I spun out in hot laps. The car was way too loose and not responding to changes. I switched out the 6.18 gears to 6.27’s to try to keep it up on the bars more but I couldn’t get the car to stay planted on entry.

after that race and upon further inspection I had broken two Bolts on the LR lower shock mount and I had too much drop on the LR chain limiter. The damn shock mount was just pivoting so I had no damping when trying to sit the car, then it would immediately jump up on the bars and chain. It made it VERY hard to drive. I hit at least to infield tractor tires but managed to squeak out a 7th in the feature.

you ever make it to wayne or mansfield in Ohio?
if so, I'll come watch and wrench.

you ever make it to wayne or mansfield in Ohio?
if so, I'll come watch and wrench.

I havent yet but we plan on running more tracks next season. Ill have to check the Wayne site to see if they run our class.

well those are my locals.
but if you make it to chillicothe or anywhere near columbus that's less than a hundred miles from me and I like racing.

well those are my locals.
but if you make it to chillicothe or anywhere near columbus that's less than a hundred miles from me and I like racing.

we will definitely hit Atomic and probably 35 Raceway next year.
Atomic is just a few minutes south of Chillicothe, 35 is just outside Chillicothe too.

If you ever make the trip to Atomic make sure they are running 410 sprints. I know Wayne is a big sprint track but Atomic is fassssstttt.
They never lift when the track is prepped well. If its an All Stars race its even better. You get Tony Stewart, Kyle Larsen, Christopher bell, Rico, Blaney, etc during Ohio Sprint Speedweek. Its usually some of the best racing we see all year. Endless slide jobs on the fastest 3/8s oval in the states. Shoot its 90+ miles each way and I am considering making that our regular Saturday night track. Our class averaged 30+ cars every week at Atomic.

We do run Midway which is Crooksville and I want to hit Muskigum (spelled that wrong) too. Both near Zanesville.

Rico a couple years ago
https://youtu.be/rUwkE6E8jDE

I literally don't know track names, just where they're at.

I had a boss that ran late models for a few years.
lots of fun, but he acted like he was a sponsored race team and bought 20K engines, and then his money ran out.

I literally don't know track names, just where they're at.

I had a boss that ran late models for a few years.
lots of fun, but he acted like he was a sponsored race team and bought 20K engines, and then his money ran out.

late models are a great way to go broke. Now a 20K engine is a lapper engine. Top late model and sprint engines are 50-60K+

We lost a local racing legend Saturday. 4B Jackie Boggs from Grayson KY. Had a heart attack on the way to a race. The Boggs family is a staple in dirt track family. His dad Black Jack Boggs won multiple DTWCs. Jackie had WoO wins and countless cardboard checks. I’ve seen them race my whole life.

I did get some suspension pics tonight. I’ll try to load them up from a PC tomorrow so the damn things aren’t all sideways.

C6D25F7A-AD3B-48F3-AC3E-AD9798533112.jpeg

Everything about that picture (except LF + camber) looks wrong in my paved circle track thinking head. :laughing:

I'm looking forward to the suspension pictures and setup details.

please excuse the mess in the shop, i have a lot of organizing and cleaning to do.

ok here are some pics at static ride height.
Pic a couple of posts up is the front at ride height. LF is 8.375 RF is 8. Thats from the ground to the center of the Lower A arm bolt.
9.jpg

This is a Chevelle clip. LF is stock length lower and custom upper. RF is a +1" lower and +1" upper with +1" lower balljoint and +1.5" Upper ball joint. Ill have to go through my notes for exact caster/camber numbers. RF is about -6 degrees Camber, LF is about +4 degrees. This a 2016 and front end geometry has changed the last couple of years. newer cars run about -8 and +7.

I run 2" back space rims on both fronts. We can only run beadlocks on the right side. I also run a front mount caliper on the RF to keep the caliper out of the shock body and full bump/full right lock.

Here is the rear at static ride heigh. Tire pressures are off a little but you get the idea.
11.jpg

LR ride height is 11.5 RR is 10.5. Thats from the top of the axle to the bottom of the chassis.

Rear set up is a 4 bar. There are 3 links, trailing arm, Z bar, etc... Shoot there are still some leaf spring cars out there.
The 4 bar gives you endless adjustments.

LR pictured here.
10.jpg

Rear end is a winters quick change. 3" tubes, full floater with Grand national hubs (big bearings).
The 4 bar attachment is called a Birdcage. I run Keyser welded birdcages, they are middle of the market but are full bearing cages. I will step up to Wehrs modular cages this winter. They offer more adjustments and bolt together so each part is replaceable. I will also go with a heavy LR cage, that option adds about 14lbs to that side.

LR shock is forward of the axle, spring is on a spring slider behind the axle. All shock and slider mounts pivot and swivel. Shock is a 9" travel sealed with 8 compression and 2 rebound. Spring is a 16" 200lb.

There is also an adjustable chain limiter mounted there. Caliper mount is a floater. Thats what the other bar is for, makes braking more progressive under throttle/load.

RR is a little more simple.
Its a fixed caliper mount and forward mount shock with a coilover set up. We have to run welded shocks and 5" diameter springs.
Shock is 9" travel with 4Comp/4reb. Im going to switch to a 4/6 next year.
12.jpg

You can also see the pull bar and 5th shock in this pic. Pull bar is a "torque link". Shock is a 7" with 9 Comp/1 reb.

4.jpg

The pull bar is adjustable in length and angle, plus left/right. , its also how you set pinion angle. DIfferent angles apply the power different and effect forward bite.

Panhard in this world is called the J-Bar. I have quick adjust climbing mounts on the pinion and frame side.

Oh yea i forgot the front shocks, they are both 7" travel. RF is a 3comp/12 reb, LF is a 4/4.

Top Back Refresh