What's new

Adjustable triangulated 4 link calculatior

cerial

Member Number
There is some great tech on here on 4 links. I have a 4 link question that is diffrent so I hoping guys with way more experence then me with triangulated setups can give some advise.

I have a mid engine 2wd pile with a 81" wb using rear leafs and currently a IFS front.

I am cutting out the IFS for a 2wd cherokee axle. The axle will be double triangulated.

Frame to axle inward 60 degrees uppers
Frame to axle outward 20 degrees lowers both 18" ish long heim eye to heim eye.

23.44 tire with the upper link at 22 Off the ground frame and 18 off the ground axle. 0 offset with axle tube center.

The upper links will be fixed with a extension going behind the upper link/heim to an airbag. Think teeter totter.

The lower links are where things need to be adjustable.

Now I have played with the free calculatiors. But I am really helping there is something like performance trends 4 link calculatoor that can also do triangulated setups.

Worst case I just calculate every setting for every hole in the lower brackets. Then adjust and fine tune making up diffrent brackets. Then calculating more and more.

But maybe there is a better way before I go through all that fun.

I guess I don't get what your after? The current 4 link calculator on here does triangulated 4 links and is adjustable for any suspension length, width, etc.... Just plug the numbers in. Are you looking to input specific roll center and anti-squat values and have it spit out that geometry?

Not really sure what you are after either. The current calc solves for 1 point, if you need to know multiple, save screenshots in a word doc or something. Or is Ghetto Fab right about you wanting a calculator that works in reverse?

Never checked how it does with a shock mounted on the opposite side of the frame pivot. So that might be interesting if you use that functionality.

Are you putting the airbag under the extension? Putting it above the extension would force the suspension lower with pressure I would think.

I want multiple holes in the lower brackets.

So having the lower brackets at 11" at the frame and 6" at the axle

Moving from 11" to 9" is going to change the angle and will require a diffrent hole position to try and split the diffrence to avoid running out of threads or changing the camber.

Going extremes like 11 and 5 will have even more drastic implications.
There is alot of unknown in this build. Its not typical with around 65% rear on the 2800lbs estimated weight. I will need to do some real world testing. I am just trying to get somewhat close so I dont need to build 6 or 8 diffrent setups.

I have an extension that bolts(three 5/8") to the top of the upper links going behind the frame mounted heim to the top of the bag.

The frame mounted heims are the fulcrum point.

I can leghten or shorten this extension to allow a bit of airbag leverage adjustment on top of adjusting the bag height itself via spacers.

I want multiple holes in the lower brackets.

So having the lower brackets at 11" at the frame and 6" at the axle

Moving from 11" to 9" is going to change the angle and will require a diffrent hole position to try and split the diffrence to avoid running out of threads or changing the camber.

Going extremes like 11 and 5 will have even more drastic implications.
There is alot of unknown in this build. Its not typical with around 65% rear on the 2800lbs estimated weight. I will need to do some real world testing. I am just trying to get somewhat close so I dont need to build 6 or 8 diffrent setups.

I have an extension that bolts(three 5/8") to the top of the upper links going behind the frame mounted heim to the top of the bag.

The frame mounted heims are the fulcrum point.

I can leghten or shorten this extension to allow a bit of airbag leverage adjustment on top of adjusting the bag height itself via spacers.
So what are you trying to get out of the 4 link calc that it isn't already doing?

Multiple hole locations and mapping.

Basically performance trends calculatior. But one with triangulated settings.

Things like roll center and dive are big things. With the 81" wheelbase and the weight mostly rear I need to be careful about oversteer due to compression changing things when lifting off the throttle in a turn etc.

I can make your great 4 link calculatior work. But if I want to move all the holes 1/2" down I will need to change and record all those numbers vs just moving them all.

I also love the feature of adding compression. Once again I can go through and change/record everything under X" compression.

Before I do all that. Is there a program that will do it easier that also will work with a double triangulated 4 link?

Multiple hole locations and mapping.

Basically performance trends calculatior. But one with triangulated settings.

Things like roll center and dive are big things. With the 81" wheelbase and the weight mostly rear I need to be careful about oversteer due to compression changing things when lifting off the throttle in a turn etc.

I can make your great 4 link calculatior work. But if I want to move all the holes 1/2" down I will need to change and record all those numbers vs just moving them all.

I also love the feature of adding compression. Once again I can go through and change/record everything under X" compression.

Before I do all that. Is there a program that will do it easier that also will work with a double triangulated 4 link?
I don't know of any other software, maybe some rc stuff. Capturing screen shots and putting them in a word doc is probably the easiest way. If you have a nominal location, you can set up excel as nominal + change and have change linked to a box on the side. May make things a little faster to do.

Or you can write your own calculator that does it. The hardest math is a bit of trig. Documentation of the math starts on post 105 in the 4 link calculator thread. I recommend doing it in code versus excel.

Thank you for the nominal trick.

If nothing is out then I will just go about it the long way.

I just did not want to find out after the fact that there was software out for $250 etc that could save hours/days.

I will read through the thread a few more times then go about recording, tweaking, checking.

Thank you guys for the great help.

Thank you for the nominal trick.

If nothing is out then I will just go about it the long way.

I just did not want to find out after the fact that there was software out for $250 etc that could save hours/days.

I will read through the thread a few more times then go about recording, tweaking, checking.

Thank you guys for the great help.
Make sure to change the drive bias if you are doing a 2wd.

Top Back Refresh