What's new

Adjustable Coupler/Hitch Height Settings

jhama78

nice roach.
Member Number
Loc
ESVA
Picked up new 10k trailer yesterday and this is the first one I have owned with an adjustable coupler. Wondering if there is any preferred height setting for either hitch or coupler, or if it matters at all? As you can see from pic, I have all kind of adjustment available on hitch for the various trailers I end up dragging around. I always attempt to get the trailer as level as possible with the hitch (maybe slightly up with unloaded trailer). Main question is with the setup I have, is there any adjustment I should make or just use it as is?

In before my safety chains arent crossed...:flipoff2::flipoff2: I have a couple of extensions that I left at home when I picked up the trailer that will add a few inches to compensate for the added length the hitch adds.

Hitch.jpg

Pic of overall setup to kinda show 'levelness'

356837722_781308257026447_3652549660415794416_n.jpg

Trailer specs: 5" c-channel, 18+2, dexter 6k axles, rub rails, adjustable demco coupler, side wind jack, 60" slide in ramps

356856024_781308310359775_5222238851749320506_n.jpg

I’d set the ball mount to put its ball inline to receiver hitch. Then adjust trailer’s coupler, probably 1 holes down, to match.

That way there’s less leverage, less wear and tear on your ball mount and receiver hitch.

Or just set it to match your other commonly used trailer, one less adjustment you’ll need to do between them.

I would set the ball mount at whichever height is appropriate for your trailer that is NOT adjustable. Then adjust the adjustable trailer to match that. The leverage thing as it comes to height only applies to pulling and braking forces, not to the vertical weight axis. And both the ball mount and the trailer coupler look well designed for those, anway.

all my hitches are about knee height, call it 20-22" at the top of the ball
they're pintle-balls so they are bolted straight to the bumper and do not adjust any

How about one of these?

No I've never used one just the easy lift type with the bars.

Last edited:
How about one of these?

No I've never used one just the easy lift type with the bars.

View attachment 722289
That things a 9-12" further away from the truck than it needs to be. 100% form over function. 100% designed for Instagram likes.

Op, I prefer my trailers adjusted so I can run a hitch with as little drop as possible. Most of my stuff is pintle and I prefer using the straight hitch, not the one where the hook bolts on to a plate.

Ive never really put much thought into it and usually hook onto whatever and go.... but if I were id probably set the tounge an inch or 2 high of level so that when my truck is sacked out with tounge weight the trailer rides level.

Quick update to the thread, adjusted the hitch and coupler heights a little bit and ended up back at the same place I posted in the original post. Truck only sagged @ 1/4" with ~1500lbs of quads and ~ 2k lbs of sxs loaded on the trailer. Towed like this for 300+ miles a couple of weekends ago with zero problems/sway.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

Cheers

-j-rod

Trailer Loaded.jpg

Top Back Refresh