What's new

Adding Waterproof 12v outlets

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Wanting to add a waterproof 12v power outlet to the RZR. There is the factory 12v port but it gets used to charge phones and the tablet for navigation. Anyone have a recommended 12v marine grade outlet that you like? Just find one on amazon and roll with it? 12v outlet I am going to mount it in the trans tunnel cover in my RZR so wife can plug in a 12v heated blanket for the winter wheeling and CO trip in a couple months. I'll wire it direct to the battery with a inline fuse so I don't run into any issues of pulling too much juice for the factory accessory fuses.

I used these from Amazon with good results:
Amazon.com

The second outlet has usb power delivery to fast charge newer phones or tablets.

Just used both of these. The key is too use a good waterproof locking male plug too.

I out the Blue Sea on the outside of the RV, it ran my 95L cooler 24/7 no problem.
51AE-MketfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I removed this one from the mount and located it separately from the USB charger.
It worked as well as the Blue Sea version that I putr outside.
71i8Rpkx9aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The male plug I used.
41pDe-zeNTL._AC_.jpg

It looks like those are only water resistant when the covers are on. Why not an actual connector like these

And did you ever get your cab enclosed?. Why not dress appropriately for the weather? Wind seems to be the big issue for us. Especially since you never know when you might not have the heater available.
Granted that my furnace runs much hotter than my wife's, but I can run my open cab skid steer for hours plowing snow. I wear either Sorels or insulated Keens, Carhardt bibs and a hoodie. I can add a rain coat and or pants, as needed over the top. I have Grundens bib & coat that are large enough to go over the top although I usually use a mil-surp Gortex jacket instead

Last edited:
Just used both of these. The key is too use a good waterproof locking male plug too.

I out the Blue Sea on the outside of the RV, it ran my 95L cooler 24/7 no problem.
51AE-MketfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I removed this one from the mount and located it separately from the USB charger.
It worked as well as the Blue Sea version that I putr outside.
71i8Rpkx9aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The male plug I used.
41pDe-zeNTL._AC_.jpg
I have used the Blue Sea Marine stuff before and it's good stuff.

Looks like Amazon has this male and female locking plug in a package a little cheaper.

I may replace the factory dash 12v socket with this dual USB port charger with voltage read out as well.

It looks like those are only water resistant when the covers are on. Why not an actual connector like these

And did you ever get your cab enclosed?. Why not dress appropriately for the weather? Wind seems to be the big issue for us. Especially since you never know when you might not have the heater available.
Granted that my furnace runs much hotter than my wife's, but I can run my open cab skid steer for hours plowing snow. I wear either Sorels or insulated Keens, Carhardt bibs and a hoodie. I can add a rain coat and or pants, as needed over the top. I have Grundens bib & coat that are large enough to go over the top although I usually use a mil-surp Gortex jacket instead
I do have a soft cab that I run in the winter. I don't care for the side windows but it does keep the wind and rain off. I installed the Inferno heater last fall as well and it's pretty damn nice. :smokin: The side windows don't trailer very well though so if i take them with us I will install once we get to CO then remove for the trip home. otherwise the wind with probably shred them.

I thought I mentioned it in the OP but I guess I was thinking it and not typing. We do carry rain gear, and other warm clothes. Wife will have a 12v heated blanket, plus a stadium blanket to keep the wind/rain off her as well.

I have used the Blue Sea Marine stuff before and it's good stuff.

Looks like Amazon has this male and female locking plug in a package a little cheaper.

I may replace the factory dash 12v socket with this dual USB port charger with voltage read out as well.
My suggestion on the dash is to not get rid of the 12v socket, just add the charger next to it.
on my wifes I did that and the USB charger was dead this trip, it looked like it was working but it actually drained my battery instead of charging it.
The fix was easy, grab a 12v USB charger plug from the RV and stick it in the 12v socket. If I would have replaced it I wouldn't likely had a spare and its sort of a bitch to change.

My suggestion on the dash is to not get rid of the 12v socket, just add the charger next to it.
on my wifes I did that and the USB charger was dead this trip, it looked like it was working but it actually drained my battery instead of charging it.
The fix was easy, grab a 12v USB charger plug from the RV and stick it in the 12v socket. If I would have replaced it I wouldn't likely had a spare and its sort of a bitch to change.
hmmm good point.

I ended up getting the Blue Sea locking outlet and plug added before we left for CO. Worked well for the wife's 12v electric blanket that she rode with in her lap. She does not take being cold and if it helps her be more comfy then so be it.

I still haven't added the USB plug port that Carter linked. I am running out of places in the dash to add switches and outlets.

Top Back Refresh