What's new

Adding thumb to backhoe.

So I'm back this this mess. Snow is melting and I've got firewood to do.

So the original Titan thumb didn't last long. The eyelets tore right out. I mean, I wasn't easy on it, but I wasn't expecting to actually rip apart 3/8 steel.

Last year I called a steel supplier a bit of a drive away and its was going to be something like $1500 for the steel alone- just stupid.

Now, I can see about trailering the tractor down to a weld shop and seeing what he can do.

But, what's to say I buy another unit from Titan, and weld up grommets to the eyelets and gussets to the weaker areas?

122992_02.jpg

I'd have to get longer pins or whatever those things are called. I've got a sheet of 3/16 I could double up with and weld that on.

Any reason that wouldn't work?

If you tore up the original one that fast it tells me that reinforcement won’t do shit.

It’s just completely under built and undersized, material wise.

If you tore up the original one that fast it tells me that reinforcement won’t do shit.

It’s just completely under built and undersized, material wise.
It was the side to side movement that ripped out the eyes. A tree got stuck in another tree and I kept hocking the downed tree side to side to yank it out. I was swinging the boom hard left and right trying to remove the stuck tree. Wasn't really using it the way its was intended. :homer: :laughing:

Get some 1/2 stock (you could just buy drops of flat stock on eBay), cover the areas where the old holes tore out. Add some extra material so that the hole is farther from the material edge than the OE design Drill new holes in it. Buy 1" longer pins. Call it good. Now that you know what not to do you'll probably be fine.

Get some 1/2 stock (you could just buy drops of flat stock on eBay), cover the areas where the old holes tore out. Add some extra material so that the hole is farther from the material edge than the OE design Drill new holes in it. Buy 1" longer pins. Call it good. Now that you know what not to do you'll probably be fine.
Sort of what I was thinking of doing.

Top Back Refresh