What's new

Adding thumb to backhoe.

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
So unless if someone can look at this:

Click image for larger version Name:	20200909_182431.jpg Views:	9 Size:	315.5 KB ID:	127531

And can tell me I can plug and play in a hydraulic thumb, I'm stuck with a mechanical.

That being said, there's 24", 32" and 36".

They say that the thumb should extend beyond the bucket teeth.

Click image for larger version Name:	20200909_181131.jpg Views:	9 Size:	356.6 KB ID:	127532

Its pretty much 24".

Now if I go 32":

Click image for larger version Name:	20200909_181431.jpg Views:	9 Size:	325.5 KB ID:	127533

I think that's going to stick way too far out. Its also probably going to interfere with the boom when its all the way in the up position.

I'm thinking 24" is going to be the way to go, correct?

I would love to have a hydraulic, but I don't know the first thing about rigging something up. Last time I did was on my samurai, and we all know how that turned out. :laughing:

Last edited:
That manifold will work. Just find who made it and toss another valve with lever in the stack. Should’ve cost more than 100 150$. Please take a picture of the backhoe. By your pictures it looks tiny. Imo a thumb would be pretty useless on something that small. The thumb would be interfering with the boom most of the time. You want the thumb to pivot about the pin on the bucket and be 4-5” longer than bucket.

Last edited:
By using a diverter valve, you can tap into any one of those circuits and a power beyond. The best would be the circuit that operates the left outrigger (sitting in the backhoe), so that you still have operation on the boom and curl functions in operation.

I too have a tractor with a backhoe and wanted a thumb, as I do a lot of tree cutting at my cabin and getting the log off the ground is prefered. I just went with a mechanical that I can pin out of the way. Honestly, it works pretty good. I have never had a problem not being able to lift things.

I have a mechanical set up on mine. For around the house use it is fine, yes hydro would be nicer, but eh I am cheap and don't have the time to dick with it right now. Mine is slightly longer than the bucket, but not 8", that would be too much. I think I wanted a 32, but got a 36" bc that was all that was available. I love mine, but I am also running it on a full size machine.

That manifold will work. Just find who made it and toss another valve with lever in the stack. Should’ve cost more than 100 150$.

So. Wait. Each of those valves is like a Lego? That's not all one unit?

So. Wait. Each of those valves is like a Lego? That's not all one unit?

Yes, just be sure to get a valve block that does what you want it to do, extend and retract, I would plumb in a relief valve too so I didn't bend anything when you over clamp to it. If you go fixed you have to be careful you don't over clamp to it also.

Yes, just be sure to get a valve block that does what you want it to do, extend and retract, I would plumb in a relief valve too so I didn't bend anything when you over clamp to it. If you go fixed you have to be careful you don't over clamp to it also.

See, I was hoping to run a valve that I could control with my foot.

Iunno. I don't see this going very well. Perhaps I'll just do the mechanical. :homer:

I think the 24" will work. After the plate gets welded on and the mounting holes bringing the arm out further, it should clear the teeth.

Iunno. I don't see this going very well. Perhaps I'll just do the mechanical. :homer:

I mean you could run a foot valve, still need the body, it would just be controlled by the foot valve....

Maybe mechanical is the way to go :flipoff2:

I mean you could run a foot valve, still need the body, it would just be controlled by the foot valve....

Maybe mechanical is the way to go :flipoff2:

Yea...I don't see this ending very well. :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7CCcVMfQQ

Around 16min he plumbs in the foot control valve for the thumb.

Duane

oh wow. I thought that entire valve unit was all one piece. So you can just break it off and add onto it. huh. never knew that. I'll have to see who makes the manifold. See if I can get a foot valve. I'm still leaning onto the mechanical, but hydraulic I'm still leaving on the table.

oh wow. I thought that entire valve unit was all one piece. So you can just break it off and add onto it. huh. never knew that. I'll have to see who makes the manifold. See if I can get a foot valve. I'm still leaning onto the mechanical, but hydraulic I'm still leaving on the table.

nope
Pressure in and pressure out the rest is fucking legos.

In your photo the two end blocks are your pressure in and out, the rest are just sandwiched in with orings between the blocks. Secured with all thread through the entire assembly

add valve, extend lever to where foot can reach
simple, like a tcase shifter

ETA: which is to say, fuck piloted valves unless they happen to be damn near free on ebay

I'm looking at Surplus Center now and can't really find the valve I need.

Why did they say it has to extend beyond the teeth?

i bought mine for the mini ex from a guy on eBay. Going out of idaho- Runser Custom Machine.

good quality work. Unfortunately, I had to modify mine because I have a TAG quick attach bucket, which I should have known ahead of time. My bad. He offered to refund, even though it was my fault.

Why did they say it has to extend beyond the teeth?

i bought mine for the mini ex from a guy on eBay. Going out of idaho- Runser Custom Machine.

good quality work. Unfortunately, I had to modify mine because I have a TAG quick attach bucket, which I should have known ahead of time. My bad. He offered to refund, even though it was my fault.

The one I'm looking at:

https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...-weld-on-backhoe-thumb-attachment/122992.html

". A mismatched thumb will result in damage to your backhoe, as larger backhoes have more bucket force. For example: if you mount a 25” thumb on a hoe that requires a 31” one, you will probably bend or break your equipment. Make sure that this thumb is at least the length of your bucket when measured from boom to the teeth or the warranty may voided if damage occurs."

Got a mechanical on my hoe. I ended up plasma cutting bigger teeth for it and welding them on. It’s dark now. I’ll take a pic tomorrow and posting it.

i make and install a decent amount of thumbs. i usually make them equal or 1" max, so far. have never heard an operator want longer.

i dont deal with the hydraulics much but i do know that you wan the bucket to be able to over power the thumb function.

i make and install a decent amount of thumbs. i usually make them equal or 1" max, so far. have never heard an operator want longer.

i dont deal with the hydraulics much but i do know that you wan the bucket to be able to over power the thumb function.

Cool beans. The 24" is going to work just fine I think. I'll order up the mechanical today. The hydraulic is going to be opening a can of worms, I know it.

My mini-ex has a mechanical thumb, used to have a hydraulic thumb it looks like but the cylinder was removed for some reason. I thought I would be needing to get it back to hydraulic ASAP but now that I've run it for a while I don't think it would be worth the effort for now. A thumb is an absolute requirement of you're digging roots, culvert, larger rocks, scrap, or trying to grab anything but clean dirt IMHO. Hydro would be nice, but not a must have for me.

My mini-ex has a mechanical thumb, used to have a hydraulic thumb it looks like but the cylinder was removed for some reason. I thought I would be needing to get it back to hydraulic ASAP but now that I've run it for a while I don't think it would be worth the effort for now. A thumb is an absolute requirement of you're digging roots, culvert, larger rocks, scrap, or trying to grab anything but clean dirt IMHO. Hydro would be nice, but not a must have for me.

I've got a chunk of land that I'll eventually be stumping out. BEfore that I need to finish the pile of firewood I have. I'm tired of cutting the wood on the ground. I was hoping I'd get away with picking up the log, holding it in the air with the thumb, and bucking it up with the saw.

I've got a chunk of land that I'll eventually be stumping out. BEfore that I need to finish the pile of firewood I have. I'm tired of cutting the wood on the ground. I was hoping I'd get away with picking up the log, holding it in the air with the thumb, and bucking it up with the saw.

Buy yourself a couple big wood threaded eye bolts and a chain.

Buy yourself a couple big wood threaded eye bolts and a chain.

A what now?

I have a set of those logging jaw clamp tong dealios, but the log just swings around unbalanced. Good dragging the tree out, but not for holding in place.

If you have forks for the bucket you can lift the logs up and place them in a better position to cut. I am probably going to build a PT wood frame with some small notches to help the log stay settled. Lift it up roll it on and then cut. I have used an Ex to hold the logs and its the best way I have found. But if I can get the log on a platform at a comfortable cutting height then thats a win in my book.

I want to add a thumb to my 480C but I have other backhoe projects like brakes to do before I work on a thumb. Until then I am going to buy some forks and try my technique.

Thread the eye bolt into the log, stick the chain on the eye bolt and hang it up at a convenient working height using your machine.

Ah, I gotcha.

This thing with that, it still sways. I need like a fixed, solid clamp.

Top Back Refresh