What's new

Adding boost and efi to an older engine?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
Long story short, I have a samurai that obviously needs more power. Turbo is the obvious and best answer. :laughing:

My buddies cousin did it, and used a factory tbi, with mega squirt system. It's definitely a piece together deal. I kinda wondered, with how affordable aftermarket efi kits are getting, why not just go with something like the holley sniper?

They even make 1 and 2 barrel kits for smaller engines.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-552

The nice thing is that's its ultra simple. Just need a fuel pump and high pressure lines, ect. I think it would actually be the same or cheaper than using a microsquirt by the time I buy every individual part.

Anyone use ever use an aftermarket efi kit?

I’ve been doing my homework on AMR500 supercharges with the intention of installing one on my samurai. There has been at least one person to set up Holley EFI as a draw through setup with good results.

I think some kits from Holley come boost ready and some do not, it’s been a minute since I read that part.

I’ve been doing my homework on AMR500 supercharges with the intention of installing one on my samurai. There has been at least one person to set up Holley EFI as a draw through setup with good results.

I think some kits from Holley come boost ready and some do not, it’s been a minute since I read that part.

The problem with those roots type is that they're only like 70% efficient. So instead of 7 lbs getting you 120 hp, it gets you 85. I'm being broad here, but you know what I'm getting at.

If you look at the Miata guys, most of them who went SC over turbo, regret it. The only benefit is no lag, but I don't see that as an issue. Either way, it will still be more than 50 :laughing:

The problem with those roots type is that they're only like 70% efficient. So instead of 7 lbs getting you 120 hp, it gets you 85. I'm being broad here, but you know what I'm getting at.

If you look at the Miata guys, most of them who went SC over turbo, regret it. The only benefit is no lag, but I don't see that as an issue. Either way, it will still be more than 50 :laughing:

The Miata guys regret it because they drive gutless shitboxes in the the first place. :flipoff2: Instant boost from a supercharger is awesome. Being able to stab the gas at 55 and have the tires break lose on you is a wonderful thing. :usa:

This^^^. Building boost is fine for a car. But having it on tap seems more of what a wheeler needs. That said my
buddy put a root systems on a B7 RS4 Audi and holy fuck me hang on. No matter where in the band its dumb when you hit the loud pedal and its flat out scary for about 3-4k RPM’s at the top. Total fear boner material the first time I drove it after the root system was installed.

My buddy was always they are not efficient enough like you Op, until he drove 2 cars back to back as close as possible to being the same beside the trubo/root systems. And he as sold on the spot.

This^^^. Building boost is fine for a car. But having it on tap seems more of what a wheeler needs. That said my
buddy put a root systems on a B7 RS4 Audi and holy fuck me hang on. No matter where in the band its dumb when you hit the loud pedal and its flat out scary for about 3-4k RPM’s at the top. Total fear boner material the first time I drove it after the root system was installed.

My buddy was always they are not efficient enough like you Op, until he drove 2 cars back to back as close as possible to being the same beside the trubo/root systems. And he as sold on the spot.

Yup. While you are building boost I’m putting bus lengths on your shitbox. :laughing:

CE6A235F-9F83-4D45-8904-DFF239DAF402.jpeg

I'm talking small 4cyl with 5 lbs of boost. A larger displacement engine like a V8 is way different.

Even then turbos are awesome :flipoff2:

I’ve fucked around with several turbo cars. 400 horsepower didn’t impress me in the least. My blown 5.4 made close to 750 horsepower. The twin screw I had was bigger than most of my friends engines. It was 2.4 liters. :lmao:

I’ve fucked around with several turbo cars. 400 horsepower didn’t impress me in the least. My blown 5.4 made close to 750 horsepower. The twin screw I had was bigger than most of my friends engines. It was 2.4 liters. :lmao:

Yet now when ford wants to make big power they use turbos on a V6. :laughing:

Yet now when ford wants to make big power they use turbos on a V6. :laughing:

This was 17 years ago. I built that thing in 2003/2004. Things are a bit different.

The 2 dyno numbers I've heard were 75 and 99 hp to the wheels :flipoff2:​​​​​​

That blower probably uses more than that :laughing:

My post wasn’t to derail the thread and debate what’s better anyways. I am curious to hear from someone with actual Holley EFI experience either blow through or draw through.

the AMR500 pretty much needs to be draw through to cool the charger based on a lot of the reading I’ve done.

I could be talked into a blow through turbo setup if Holley makes this relatively easy to do with their smaller throttle bodies.

My post wasn’t to derail the thread and debate what’s better anyways. I am curious to hear from someone with actual Holley EFI experience either blow through or draw through.

the AMR500 pretty much needs to be draw through to cool the charger based on a lot of the reading I’ve done.

I could be talked into a blow through turbo setup if Holley makes this relatively easy to do with their smaller throttle bodies.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with draw through?

Long story short, I have a samurai that obviously needs more power. Turbo is the obvious and best answer. :laughing:

My buddies cousin did it, and used a factory tbi, with mega squirt system. It's definitely a piece together deal. I kinda wondered, with how affordable aftermarket efi kits are getting, why not just go with something like the holley sniper?

They even make 1 and 2 barrel kits for smaller engines.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-552

The nice thing is that's its ultra simple. Just need a fuel pump and high pressure lines, ect. I think it would actually be the same or cheaper than using a microsquirt by the time I buy every individual part.

Anyone use ever use an aftermarket efi kit?

put a 2rz in that thing, simpler and cheaper than turboing that motor, plus if you decide you want more power you can run 7psi or so without having to fart around with the tune.

You think a Samurai is bad? My buddy has a bone stock Suzuki Jimney with a 1000cc 3 cylinder with a turbo. It’s the epitome of a turd. :lmao:

put a 2rz in that thing, simpler and cheaper than turboing that motor, plus if you decide you want more power you can run 7psi or so without having to fart around with the tune.

No

Sami motor is ~150 lbs. Trans is like 40 Tcase is like 20 axles are light enough I can just pick them up. I could probably do a curl or 2 with the rear. :laughing:

Even a 2/3rz is ~400 lbs, trans is probably 100, tcase/s are whatever, and way too long for a samurai, then I need toyota axles. Now all of a sudden the tracks are overloaded and will have issues, plus won't work as well.

If I swapped it would be a 2.0/2.3 suzuki. Only a little heavier at ~200 lbs. Bolts to the trans I have. 2.3 makes more hp that the 2rz. They also like boost.

3sgte swap!

Such a badass engine. My buddy had a 450 hp mr2 :grinpimp:​​​​​​

When they ran it in WRC it was 300 hp (limited) 600 ft/lbs :eek:

Another little know fact. The Infamous Castrol Tom's supra actually had the 2JZ pulled for a 3sgte. It could make the needed power, but was half the weight.

No

Sami motor is ~150 lbs. Trans is like 40 Tcase is like 20 axles are light enough I can just pick them up. I could probably do a curl or 2 with the rear. :laughing:

Even a 2/3rz is ~400 lbs, trans is probably 100, tcase/s are whatever, and way too long for a samurai, then I need toyota axles. Now all of a sudden the tracks are overloaded and will have issues, plus won't work as well.

If I swapped it would be a 2.0/2.3 suzuki. Only a little heavier at ~200 lbs. Bolts to the trans I have. 2.3 makes more hp that the 2rz. They also like boost.

My buddy Richard put a complete Toyota 22R drivetrain and axles into his samurai. He cut into the firewall.

Oh, I called holley today. He said no problem. He recommended the 2300 series kit. He gave me the part number, but I forgot :laughing: there is a 4 injector system good for 650 hp and a 2 injector system good for 350. Can't imagine why you'd need the bigger one.

Don’t let anyone talk you into a swap! The 1.3 on boost is fine. I’m really interested in the Holley stuff too.....

but I love my propane boosted sami. <3 :)

Don’t let anyone talk you into a swap! The 1.3 on boost is fine. I’m really interested in the Holley stuff too.....

but I love my propane boosted sami. <3 :)

Ya, I think it will be perfect. It would be easy too get carried away with HP. I think ~125 hp will be about right.

Have you considered a ZOR tubo kit with a MYSide ?

Have you considered a ZOR tubo kit with a MYSide ?

Not really, I've seen it. But I don't think it would work well for me with lots of elevation and temp change. I'm running the 3k Rolla carb now and it seems to work really well. But I've only had it up to ~5k feet. I'd hate to ad a turbo to the mix and have issues at 7k+

Top Back Refresh