What's new

@Add

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
EF32481C-2819-4976-8453-EDA5505B88CE.jpeg

Pool with a hot tub that’s also a water fall into the pool.

If you want the water fall and pool to heat (also making the hot tub the same temp) you turn the two black valves in the bottom middle one way.

If you want just the hottub to heat with no waterfall and no pool heat you turn the black valves the other way.

But they turn hard and my parents can’t do it. Is there an electric option or better way so they can use the hot tub at will?

As for another way to set it up I dont know. But you should be able to use some shorter chunks of pipe to slip over the ends of those black handles for leverage but not too long or you can have to much force and break shit. For the red handle ball valves I have seen similar but a piece of wood with a “U” cut out so it can slip over the ends. Again too much leverage and you break shit.

Interested to hear how a pro solves this.

For whatever reason it didn't inform me of this thread until I just happened to stumble upon it. Never popped up in my notifications

EF32481C-2819-4976-8453-EDA5505B88CE.jpeg

Pool with a hot tub that’s also a water fall into the pool.

If you want the water fall and pool to heat (also making the hot tub the same temp) you turn the two black valves in the bottom middle one way.

If you want just the hottub to heat with no waterfall and no pool heat you turn the black valves the other way.

But they turn hard and my parents can’t do it. Is there an electric option or better way so they can use the hot tub at will?
Yes you can put actuators on them to do it electronically, but you would need some sort of automation to tell them to turn and when to do so. Is there any on it now or is it simple intermatic timers?

I can also send you rebuild kits for those valves. Make them easy to turn again

There is no automation system. Just the timer and manual temp setting. On the heater you pick spa or pool. So I’d guess the heater could handle automation.

I’ve only turned the valves when the pump was on. They might go easy when it’s off.

There is no automation system. Just the timer and manual temp setting. On the heater you pick spa or pool. So I’d guess the heater could handle automation.

I’ve only turned the valves when the pump was on. They might go easy when it’s off.
Take his advice and rebuild the Jandy valves. Its easy.

This might be the issue.

Try turning the when the pump is off. Makes all the difference on my shitty old hot tub. When the jet pump is on the knob is so hard to turn that I'm afraid the linkage is going to break, with the pump off it turns easy.

Without automation, there are no relays. Without relays there is nothing to tell the actuated valves to turn and when to do so and when to stop.

You would need to add an automation system of some sort and even the cheapest one is still 1500 ish ( don't quote me)

Try turning the when the pump is off. Makes all the difference on my shitty old hot tub. When the jet pump is on the knob is so hard to turn that I'm afraid the linkage is going to break, with the pump off it turns easy.
I mentioned that because I think it was part of the issue. But with the timer going, you have to over ride the timer, turn vavles, change heat settings, then turn timer on. And when your done with a 10-30 min hot tub, go do it all again.

No ideal for my aging parents

Without automation, there are no relays. Without relays there is nothing to tell the actuated valves to turn and when to do so and when to stop.

You would need to add an automation system of some sort and even the cheapest one is still 1500 ish ( don't quote me)
I just told my parents you would do it for 1499. Thx

Cheapest option id to make a little cheater "handle"

To automate you need actuators, and switches.

I can envision an actuator and a small box directly above it with a switch that energizes that actuator.

it would be kind of a hybrid system. , as in , no central switch panel, still manually picking the valves, just the valves handles no longer are manual.

Edit: A company like Belimo may have an actuator with a switch integrated into the actuator case

Cheapest option id to make a little cheater "handle"

To automate you need actuators, and switches.

I can envision an actuator and a small box directly above it with a switch that energizes that actuator.

it would be kind of a hybrid system. , as in , no central switch panel, still manually picking the valves, just the valves handles no longer are manual.

Edit: A company like Belimo may have an actuator with a switch integrated into the actuator case
4424-01.jpg

It already has a toggle switch on it to do it manually. They all do
Then you're good. Put power to it and trip the switch when you want to change the valve orientation.

Check the voltage there is a 60% chance it's 24VDC so you'll need a power supply.

Then you're good. Put power to it and trip the switch when you want to change the valve orientation.

Check the voltage there is a 60% chance it's 24VDC so you'll need a power supply.
Yeah they're low voltage. 24v

By not having a board of some sort to tell it what "mode" it's in (pool or spa) they will cycle back and forth between the cam stops once you applied power. So you would probably have to keep the toggle in the neutral position all the time then toggle back and forth to see which mode the valve will go

Top Back Refresh