What's new

Active shooter situation in Louisville, KY.

Though the deputy chief was unable to confirm the status of those injured at the time, ABC News had since reported the officer had been shot in the head. Employees of the bank were included among the victims and, though identities were not yet publicly reported, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D) told the press that a number of victims were friends.

This is awful. I have a very close friend who didn’t make it today, and I have another close friend who didn’t either, and one who is at the hospital that I hope is gonna make it through,” he said before turning to his expectation from the public. “So when we talk about praying, I hope people will for those that we are hoping can make it through the surgeries that they’re going through. And then we’ve gotta do what we’ve done these past three years after everything — we’ve gotta wrap our arms around these families. And everybody who needs us, don’t be afraid to get some help.”

Does it seem odd that the governor knew 3 out of the 11 people killed or injured?

Nope. Their advice, you don't any of that stuff. You need to know the people who come every day. You need to know what is going on with them, how they are doing mentally, and you need to create good, positive relationships with the people you are around every day. That is how it stops.

agreed, the long play is redeveloping our society, from the inside out. there is a portion of the population is trying to do this, but it collect labels and resentment.

From press briefing.

"This is the only time that I will mention the suspect name in this case: Connor Sturgeon, white male, 23 years of age, who was employed at Old National Bank."

Awesome, they should not even mention his name. People can find it if they want to. Don't glorify this piece of crap.

I wish they never named the shooter. Give them a number and call them IT.

Evil has no gender.

look at the TN shooter. It said it felt like killing people was the only way to be seen. The news made that dying wish come true and they showed every other nut job out there that yes, you will get your 15 minutes of fame if you kill innocent people.

Every news agency running that name and information is granting evils dying wish and should be punished for it.

towards the middle it says

"And then we’ve gotta do what we’ve done these past three years after everything — we’ve gotta wrap our arms around these families."

whats with the 3 years? what did I miss?
Fucked with employees, customers, covid, job cuts, repo ing peoples house because they cant pay their morgage because theyre not allpwed to go to work.

Push and fuck with some one enough and theyll punch you.

From press briefing.

"This is the only time that I will mention the suspect name in this case: Connor Sturgeon, white male, 23 years of age, who was employed at Old National Bank."

Awesome, they should not even mention his name. People can find it if they want to. Don't glorify this piece of crap.

I wish they never named the shooter. Give them a number and call them IT.

Evil has no gender.

look at the TN shooter. It said it felt like killing people was the only way to be seen. The news made that dying wish come true and they showed every other nut job out there that yes, you will get your 15 minutes of fame if you kill innocent people.

Every news agency running that name and information is granting evils dying wish and should be punished for it.
Eh, this was clearly workplace violence and if most of the people shot were known to the governor then it was even less random.

Does it seem odd that the governor knew 3 out of the 11 people killed or injured?

i had mentioned earlier how I didn't like the way it was written

thats one of the things i noticed the author wasn't straight on.. the writer was quoting different people but at times and he/she clearly put the wrong quote next to the wrong name at least twice

I think if we want to stop this stuff... people at places where we spend our day (school, home, stores, work) need to start treating each other better OR at least reset expectations for how things are going to be.

People get supremely butthurt at these locations and when things don't go well, they think that there will be some kind of reflection on the environment they have been living, working, learning in and there never is.

People respond to this stuff with simple answers like ban guns or arm everyone. The answer is we need to treat each other better and not be so awful to each other and we need to lower our expectations for our companies and institutions so that people don't expect them to solve every single issue and that most people are mostly okay except for people who need treatment.

More complicated but a better way to solve it.

I went to training for the active shooter stuff (how to prevent it) by the best group out there working on this problem. From their experience and background, you'd think they'd recommend a bunch of SRO's or weapons, metal detectors or cameras or that kind of stuff.

Nope. Their advice, you don't any of that stuff. You need to know the people who come every day. You need to know what is going on with them, how they are doing mentally, and you need to create good, positive relationships with the people you are around every day. That is how it stops.

Now, watch the reactions to this and you'll see. We don't have any intention of doing that (it doesn't cost anything) and people will cling to their one syllable solution because people just want to fight, they only want to feel aggrieved and offended and whoever they blame for how things are is as varied as there are people on the planet. (its the russians, its trump, its biden, its schools, its pge, its liberals, its whoever)

I suspect this will just go on for a long time. On the radio this morning I heard about the Louisville shooting and I thought: 'I have known two people who were either involved in the place or were victims (of a sort) in shootings (two different events) which brought home to me (made personal) the impact of what happened. Even with that 'connection' to the events, it is hard to know what to say to them. It has been a long time since the first event, but i know the person involved (the principal) and he never got his life back at all. The second is super recent, but, I'm pretty sure it will be part of that person's life forever.

We could fix this, I just don't think the will is there.
:lmao:

Name one problem that thoughtful consideration of other people wouldn't solve.

Like communism, it's a great idea that doesn't apply to humans.

1426752717-QOTW_Toni_642.jpg

if I am tracking
a guy decided to engage in pre meditated murder (fairly confident this had been deemed illegal)
starts shooting the un armed public (Lets call these people victims)

and you are telling me that a good guy that is carrying ANOTHER scary gun actually stopped the problem right there??

The gunman who killed five people and injured eight in a shooting in downtown Louisville on Monday legally purchased the AR-15 rifle six days before carrying out the attack, authorities said Tuesday.
The assault occurred over the course of nine minutes, with police arriving three minutes after the first 911 call and killing the gunman three minutes after that, Lt. Colonel Aaron Crowell said at a news conference.

The police department on Tuesday afternoon will release body-camera footage from the officers who responded to the mass killing at the Old National Bank, Louisville interim police chief Jacquelyn Gwinn-Villaroel said. Authorities also plan to release audio from 911 calls, Kevin Trager, a spokesman for Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg, told The Washington Post.

The shooter, whom police identified as 25-year-old Connor Sturgeon, was a full-time employee of the bank and carried out a targeted attack, Trager said. The gunman “was targeting co-workers,” Trager told The Post. He said the mayor’s office had seen footage that the shooter had live-streamed on Instagram during his attack. The footage was no longer on Instagram, he said.

“The mayor is saying that this was a targeted attack, and he’s saying that because the shooter, we believe, specifically targeted the people that he worked with in that building,” Trager said. “He worked there every day and … he was aware that those people would be in the office.”
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...itid=mc_magnet-louisville_inline_collection_6
Sturgeon had contacted at least one person, saying he was suicidal and contemplating doing harm, he and had left a note behind, Rep. Morgan McGarvey (D-Ky.) said at the news conference. Answering a follow-up question from a reporter, Gwinn-Villaroel declined to confirm the existence of the note.

Crowell confirmed that the gunman used an AR-15-style rifle. He said authorities would not provide other details about the shooting while the investigation was ongoing.
Though police swiftly stopped the gunman, he had already shot more than a dozen people. There were “a lot” of people in the building during the shooting whose lives probably were saved by the police response, Trager said. Police fatally shot Sturgeon at the scene.

Greenberg made a plea for Kentucky lawmakers to allow Louisville to make its own city laws governing guns as he, the city’s hospital chief and the congressman called on policymakers to implement more gun restrictions. They noted Louisville’s rate of gun violence, saying 40 people have been fatally shot in the city since 2023 began.

Four patients were still being treated at University of Louisville Hospital on Tuesday, the hospital said in an update. One of the victims, Officer Nickolas Wilt, was in critical condition, and three were stable in fair condition. One of the patients in critical condition Monday was stable Tuesday, the hospital said, and four others injured had been discharged.
Wilt, 23, underwent brain surgery after being shot in the head when responding to the shooting. Wilt was on his fourth-ever shift as a police officer, McGarvey said. He had made “some positive progress” from medical treatment by Monday evening, Greenberg told CBS News on Tuesday.

The five, not including the gunman, who were killed in the shooting were: Thomas Elliott, 63; Joshua Barrick, 40; Juliana Farmer, 45; James Tutt, 64; and Deana Eckert, 57.

It was the 15th mass killing in the United States in which four or more people were killed in 2023, according to a database maintained by Northeastern University, the Associated Press and USA Today.
Lives were saved by blood banked by the American Red Cross and provided to the hospital Monday, authorities said, urging people to donate blood. Far more blood was needed for the shooting victims than the hospital had on hand, said Jason T. Smith, University of Louisville Health’s chief medical officer.
“Donating blood now helps us in the future,” Smith said. “The lives that were saved yesterday were because of the American Red Cross and the blood that they had on the shelves.”

In Kentucky, the shooting ignited the familiar debate over gun laws that frequently occurs after mass killings. Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D) was close friends with Elliott. Greenberg, who survived a shooting at his campaign office last year, was friends with Elliott and Eckert. In Nashville, two victims of a school shooting two weeks earlier were friends with Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) and his family. Tennessee lawmakers have not taken any clear action related to guns, except to expel two Black legislators from the House of Representatives for interrupting a legislative session to join a pro-gun-control demonstration.
The city’s mayor, hospital chief and congressman all made impassioned pleas for policy change, noting the regularity of both mass killings and everyday gun violence.
Greenberg called on Kentucky lawmakers to allow Louisville to make its own gun laws and to change a state law that governs what happens to guns used in crimes.

“Under current Kentucky law, the assault rifle that was used to murder five of our neighbors and shoot at rescuing police officers will one day be auctioned off,” Greenberg said. “Think about that. That murder weapon will be back on the streets one day.”
He said he wanted to work with state lawmakers, saying that “if you support police officers like Officer Wilt and Officer Galloway, who heroically ran into a barrage of fire from a waiting assailant with an assault rifle, if you support local decision-making to address local issues … please give Louisville the autonomy to deal with our unique gun violence epidemic.
Under a policy known as preemption, some states, including Kentucky, don’t allow municipalities to make gun laws stricter than the state’s.

“The laws we have now are enabling violence and murder,” Greenburg said. “It’s time to change those laws to save lives.”

McGarvey said the tragedy had hit close to home for many residents of “the biggest small town in America,” including him.
“The woman who was the maid of honor in our wedding and for whom we are the godparents of two of their children, called me yesterday from the Barricks’ house and said, ‘I’m with Jessica Barrick. She hasn’t heard from her husband. Can you find out if he’s alive?’ ” McGarvey said.
McGarvey described calling Louisville police, who said Barrick’s husband, Joshua, was not on the list of survivors. He was later confirmed among the dead.

“She had to tell their two small children that their father would never come home from work,” McGarvey said.
Saying he was a person of faith, McGarvey criticized the routine offering of “thoughts and prayers” after a mass killing. He said policies should be implemented to prevent any community from needing thoughts and prayers.
“I had somebody tell me the other day, don’t make this political. Fine — don’t make this political. People’s lives aren’t political. Public safety isn’t political,” McGarvey said. “Put those policies in place that put people first.
This story will be updated.

copypasta

just in Kentucky? or other states too...??? (copy and paste from middle)

“Under current Kentucky law, the assault rifle that was used to murder five of our neighbors and shoot at rescuing police officers will one day be auctioned off,” Greenberg said. “Think about that. That murder weapon will be back on the streets one day.”

We always have shooters at the range who just purchased a firearm. Could be an AR or whatever. We always ask them if they had already cleaned and lubed it. The answer is always the same. "Oh no, the salesman told me that they did that and that they boresighted it, too." Of course, the salesman is lying, they did no such thing, the salesman just wants them out of there so he can get back to selling t-shirts and hoodies.

Every-single-one of those weapons jam or fail to feed because they are not lubricated as well as needing to be broken in. And forget about the boresighting - if the sights/optics are even tightened down the gun is shooting way, way off in both windage and elevation.

How is it that these shooters who just-bought-the-weapon never seem to have these issues? I guess they are lucky or go to a really good gun store.

We always have shooters at the range who just purchased a firearm. Could be an AR or whatever. We always ask them if they had already cleaned and lubed it. The answer is always the same. "Oh no, the salesman told me that they did that and that they boresighted it, too." Of course, the salesman is lying, they did no such thing, the salesman just wants them out of there so he can get back to selling t-shirts and hoodies.

Every-single-one of those weapons jam or fail to feed because they are not lubricated as well as needing to be broken in. And forget about the boresighting - if the sights/optics are even tightened down the gun is shooting way, way off in both windage and elevation.

How is it that these shooters who just-bought-the-weapon never seem to have these issues? I guess they are lucky or go to a really good gun store.
I have taken rifles out of the box and ran rounds through them without issue before.

Did it have optics? Regardless, it's pretty hard to miss with a rifle at inside a room distances. Could probably do it without sights.

I have taken rifles out of the box and ran rounds through them without issue before.

Did it have optics? Regardless, it's pretty hard to miss with a rifle at inside a room distances. Could probably do it without sights.
I agree regarding the sights but my point is that rifles out of the box are usually a disaster. You might’ve had some good experiences but I’m telling you that every day at the range we have several people with brand new firearms where the gun jams or fails to fade after one or two shots.

I agree regarding the sights but my point is that rifles out of the box are usually a disaster. You might’ve had some good experiences but I’m telling you that every day at the range we have several people with brand new firearms where the gun jams or fails to fade after one or two shots.
Well who's to say that he didn't take it to a range in the 6 days since purchase?
new shooters tend to buy the cheapest shit ammo on the shelf. Maybe guy spent the money on the good shit instead of blazer?

Well who's to say that he didn't take it to a range in the 6 days since purchase?
new shooters tend to buy the cheapest shit ammo on the shelf. Maybe guy spent the money on the good shit instead of blazer?
Who knows who knows who knows? The fact of the matter is that so many of these active shooter situations emphasize that the firearm was recently purchased and one would think that if the shooter had somehow shoehorned in some range time in between that would become part of the narrative as well.

I think if we want to stop this stuff... people at places where we spend our day (school, home, stores, work) need to start treating each other better OR at least reset expectations for how things are going to be.

People get supremely butthurt at these locations and when things don't go well, they think that there will be some kind of reflection on the environment they have been living, working, learning in and there never is.

People respond to this stuff with simple answers like ban guns or arm everyone. The answer is we need to treat each other better and not be so awful to each other and we need to lower our expectations for our companies and institutions so that people don't expect them to solve every single issue and that most people are mostly okay except for people who need treatment.

More complicated but a better way to solve it.

I went to training for the active shooter stuff (how to prevent it) by the best group out there working on this problem. From their experience and background, you'd think they'd recommend a bunch of SRO's or weapons, metal detectors or cameras or that kind of stuff.

Now, watch the reactions to this and you'll see. We don't have any intention of doing that (it doesn't cost anything) and people will cling to their one syllable solution because people just want to fight, they only want to feel aggrieved and offended and whoever they blame for how things are is as varied as there are people on the planet. (its the russians, its trump, its biden, its schools, its pge, its liberals, its whoever)

I suspect this will just go on for a long time. On the radio this morning I heard about the Louisville shooting and I thought: 'I have known two people who were either involved in the place or were victims (of a sort) in shootings (two different events) which brought home to me (made personal) the impact of what happened. Even with that 'connection' to the events, it is hard to know what to say to them. It has been a long time since the first event, but i know the person involved (the principal) and he never got his life back at all. The second is super recent, but, I'm pretty sure it will be part of that person's life forever.

We could fix this, I just don't think the will is there.
Not only this BUT

Stop giving every kid a fucking trophy. People/kids need to learn from a young age that not everything will go their way in life and they need to learn to accept it and move the fuck on.

Top Back Refresh