What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

One thing that I have wanted to incorporate in the dash has been a gps unit. I had a few bucks from some side work burning a hole in my pocket, and after a few drinks I decided to order a Garmin Tread XL and a dock, as well as the Bluetooth backup camera. Full overlander jeep bro mode engaged. Once I had it in hand, I trimmed the dash center panel and fit the GPS.

This is what I cut out

o9EIY-n4q24S1u756Zzg=w567-h1008-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

x89xrJVlptBzYgHdvDgQ=w1752-h986-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

30JkK0XSwDv4YgY-aw5Q=w567-h1008-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

In an effort to get all the power consumers mounted, I made some little brackets out of scrap aluminum. They are not as nice as Skipped_Link would build, but they should work. I was on the last operation of milling the brackets and had an epic moment of stupidity. I needed to mill a 3/16 step in the bracket to fit the stinger/bumper mount. It would help if you machine the correct side of the scribe line, talk about a :homer: moment. The one on the left is wrong, I have another addition to the wall of shame. I counterbored/tapped the holes for the angle adjustment bolts, and will use two nuts on the top.
1UYYs5_XAvVvxAHDfDHA=w567-h1008-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

3j7ot3f-SST_LuF1uawQ=w567-h1008-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

GB5l_Vkq8vJL7qJM_FVQ=w1752-h986-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

3WUEG0TsM0xB9un8DHHc=w567-h1008-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I really don't love the location of the lights. I always envisioned them looking like this:

Jsi5wKMlX31dLNv2_d0g=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

If I mounted them like this word photoshop, do you think it would get in the way of the winch line, or block too much air?

1711373226537.png

I really don't love the location of the lights. I always envisioned them looking like this:

Jsi5wKMlX31dLNv2_d0g=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

If I mounted them like this word photoshop, do you think it would get in the way of the winch line, or block too much air?

1711373226537.png
Don't worry about the air it'll be fine.
I'd make a bracket over the fairlead mount.

That last re-work with the lights looks great!!

How does the Holley dash mount in the enclosure? It looks so clean from the outside with no sign of fasteners ...

Well, that sucks. I have no idea what happened, but something wasn't happy. The acid etch primer had 4 days to cure, so it wasn't off gassing. It peeled everything off before I was finished spraying the first shaft. It peeled up the primer almost perfectly. It acted more like air craft stripper......

MzqWUX79mQUDmJz0mPog=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I was able to use a micro fiber and bring it back down to raw steel. So I must have messed something up. I let it dry overnight and then used a wire wheel to strip everything off. I ended up using duplicolor engine enamel black to give it another shot.

UnlFZNb_Lro7gnb8UOog=w584-h1039-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Note: this was seymour 316L paint over seymour acid etch primer. This is the same combo I used on the trailing arms, and it turned out fine.
You think there was some degreaser, acetone etc. trapped in those splines?

That last re-work with the lights looks great!!

How does the Holley dash mount in the enclosure? It looks so clean from the outside with no sign of fasteners ...
Thanks, I like it. And I am going to run with it.

The holley dash has an aluminum casing, and there are drilled and tapped holes on the back. I am using little "L" brackets that hold it in.

You think there was some degreaser, acetone etc. trapped in those splines?
Possibly, but I didn't douse them in degreaser or acetone though. I wet a rag and then cleaned them up. I emailed the mfg, (the directions on the paint can are shit), and he said only apply one coat of primer. I applied two coats. He thinks the second coat stopped the first coat from curing completly, and the solvent from the top coat stripped the uncured primer right off. Who knows though.

i love the bumper light combo. nailed it. :beer:

Thanks! I need material to make the light mounting plate, and my chunk of AL was two inches too short. I have it drawn up, and was curious what send cut send would charge to laser cut it. Getting a 13.5" x 2" piece of 1/2" 6061 was $46. Getting it with drilled holes was $54.00, getting it laser cut, drilled, tapped, and countersunk for flat head bolts was $68.00, shipped. I thought that was pretty damn reasonable.

Thanks, I like it. And I am going to run with it.

The holley dash has an aluminum casing, and there are drilled and tapped holes on the back. I am using little "L" brackets that hold it in.

Possibly, but I didn't douse them in degreaser or acetone though. I wet a rag and then cleaned them up. I emailed the mfg, (the directions on the paint can are shit), and he said only apply one coat of primer. I applied two coats. He thinks the second coat stopped the first coat from curing completly, and the solvent from the top coat stripped the uncured primer right off. Who knows though.
Painting is fun like that. Some stuff can be covered after it's flashed or has to completely cure while others will do what yours did. And sometimes just dumb luck.

I didn't get a ton of time on the jeep this weekend, but I did make some bezels for a KC cyclone light. These bezels will be used on the front grill for my turn signals. For some reason the pics make the print look a lot more rough than it is in real life. These are printed with 20% carbon fiber material and have a really nice appearance.

EHDUor56RWgPGg4FCGw=w1731-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

1T7ah3W54lwUC0zqLnyA=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

B1bTU8TmgjJvzm23vDw=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Ordered some headlight bezels and ducks
0q3vcHDQyBjSVEwPVp0=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

1711975547834.png

Top Back Refresh