What's new

A Matton 28 bore?...more pics added

User Deleted

Up at the cabin in Shenandoah this weekend and bought two guns from an antique dealer. Looks to me to be a Matton 28 bore. Pretty fancy for a regular old gun. All engraved, metal inlays and a cap holder in the stock. I cannot find a damned thing on the internet about this gun. Not even sure I got the name right. Anyone know somebody who knows about these things?

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Try ”Manton”

ooops just saw the pics. Not a name I’m familiar with. Old Damascus I’d be weary of. If she’s tight on the face I MIGHT try a really light load. There are hundreds of little mom and pop makers from the turn of the century who turned out guns in England, Germany etc..... could be a guild gun. Not to say the quality isn’t there, but not much for value. Cool piece though. 28ga is the best!

that definitely says Manton. which would be J. Manton of England. i love the swirl on the barrels.

a guy who might know more about it would be LeRoy Merz in Minnesota.

some of those go for quite a bit, depending on how fancy the wood is. i cant tell a lot from the picture but looks in decent shape.

On the rib I think it says "London Tine Twist" Checked the other side, it is a Manton. No serial number I can find. It strikes me as a gentleman upland gun due to the engraving and metal inlays.

On the rib I think it says "London Tine Twist" Checked the other side, it is a Manton. No serial number I can find. It strikes me as a gentleman upland gun due to the engraving and metal inlays.
"London Fine Twist"

There were two Mantons (brothers). John and Joseph. Competitors. There were also other Mantons. John made it longer and became John Manton &Son. A gun made by either would most likely have their full name and address on it. There was a Charles Manton, Frederick Manton and a business in India. I think you have a Belgium gun who either bought into the name or just used it. Just like Westley Richards is not the same as W Richards. Also there are lots of guns with London Fine Twist on the barrels. Hope this helps.

Top Back Refresh