What's new

97 k2500 454 oil leak

paulhead

Member Number
Loc
Long Beach Ca.
It's spraying underneath the motor all along the oil lines, oil filter, bell housing. I took it to a shop and they're telling me rear main seal. But when I looked at it it's just sprayed too much in front of the bell housing, I understand the oil cooler lines are an issue on these. 174k miles. Do these 454s have more of an issue with the oil lines or the rear main seals? I'm not agreeing with their diagnosis I'm thinking about hitting under the motor with de greaser real good and trying to find the source myself which I should have done initially.

The two I had failed the oil lines. Always had a drip from the valve covers as well.

I’d think any shop worth their weight in salt would clean thing up and look for the leak.

Cooler lines do leak, but typically up front where they go to rubber.

Rear main seals can leak too.

Valve covers dripping as mentioned above is equally possible. Bolts work loose sometimes. Rubber gasket. Usually tightening the bolts cures it.

The starter, oil filter, everything's sprayed and dripping. Yeah I'll clean it up myself and reassess. I just don't always have the time to do these little jobs and thought these guys were efficient enough to do it right. I mean could a rear main seal spray that much stuff forward? I don't see how.

Oil lines, at the crimps and the connections of the hoses to the adapter in the bolck. Maybe ir dumb, but I fix those stupid things on my two 454s all of the time. They have really been pissing me off this week.

Maybe ir dumb, but I fix those stupid things on my two 454s all of the time.
That or you’re buying cheap parts.

GM genuine is the way to go. Should last at least 10 years or 100k.

I’ve changed hundreds of sets for customers: once.

Put a set on my 454 two years ago. Still bone dry. Put a set on my 350 like 10 years ago, still good.

That or you’re buying cheap parts.

GM genuine is the way to go. Should last at least 10 years or 100k.

I’ve changed hundreds of sets for customers: once.

Put a set on my 454 two years ago. Still bone dry. Put a set on my 350 like 10 years ago, still good.
YOUR ARE A FUCKING IDIOT, FUCK OFF!

Oil lines, at the crimps and the connections of the hoses to the adapter in the bolck. Maybe ir dumb, but I fix those stupid things on my two 454s all of the time. They have really been pissing me off this week.
I had an oring fail where the line goes into the block. Sprayed oil everywhere. Another time just after the crimp connection where it necks down fatigued and cracked the line. That one was the PO’s fault because the line wasn’t supported at the front of the block and just vibrated itself to pieces.

Another possibility is the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the block. Had one leaking through the top that dumped oil down the back of the block. That had puddles under both sides.

Have you checked the oil filter seal? Sometimes the previous oil filter seal gets stuck in the block and the new filter seal doesn’t fully seal.

Must be hard being a shitty parts changer. You’re grouchy. :lmao:
:shaking:

You know those hoses practically leaked from the factory, right?

Back when those trucks were nice and new and people paid parts changers like you to work on them they used to make delete kits for the oil cooler.

I dont know if 454 has oil pressure sending unit in same place as 4.3 and 5.7 do as they would be messy. You know as soon you reach out right below area of distributor

Oil cooler line will leak at crimp area also

1000039866.jpg

I'm pretty sure that these are the line adapters for your engine. Each one has a oring in it that can be changed but you need to use the correct material.

🍿 You guys are funny.
Anyway they went over everything. They told me it's the timing chain cover, steering box power steering hoses, oil pan, rear main seal , front diff axle seals and maybe another thing or two. Except for the oil cooling lines and oil filter mount so I'm curious. Yeah there's oil everywhere I've neglected keeping an eye on stuff. 174k miles on it so it sounds about right? Quoted me just over 2k not including the rear main seal 3400K with the seal. So this is way more than I'm willing to tackle on my own so I pulled the trigger. Fuckin A man.

That’s not a bad price to fix all that.
Front axle has to come out to do the oil pan.

Top Back Refresh