What's new

96 K2500 Burb Rear Brakes - Rebuild or Replace

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Took my new burb out on the GA gambler 500 this past weeked. Had a blast and aside from a coolant leak, the intake hat bouncing off, the front axle actuator not working and the rear brakes being useless it did great.

Brakes were the biggest issue. I replaced the rotors and pads on the front before I left but did nothing to the back brakes - kind of a pandoras box situation. Parking brake doesn't work, based on how it stops they aren't doing anything. Antilock also likes to freak out for the first 10-15 minutes until its warmed up, probably needs a flush.

Pricing on Rockauto if I need drums it will be around $350 to rebuild the brakes. Drums, shoes, hardware kits, new self adjusters, parking brake cables, etc. Or I can get a disc conversion off Lug Nut 4x4 for about $750 with parking brake calipers. Reading on GMT400 it sounds like some people have issues after conversion and either need to remove the ABS and/or put in a new proportioning valve.

Anyone got feedback on the conversion vs rebuild options? Right now my rough plan is to pull the drums and measure, if it needs drums I'll re-eval but if they are within specs and it just needs shoes/hardware then I'll rebuild for now.

The rear drums on both of my 14 bolts stop great and have great parking brakes. They are not removable without getting into the whole hub removal but I wouldn't go out of my way to swap it to discs.

Also not sure but doesn't that kit use a 1/2 ton caliper? Also haven't heard anything great about the integrated parking brake. For a work truck that's a deal breaker. I'd rather use an OEM setup with the brake built into the hat of the rotor.

Drum-in-hat parking brakes suck too. They either don't hold, or seize up.

The big 13x3" drums on the suburban are pretty darn good.

I did the rear brakes on my square body and bought everything from summit (reused the bearings) it ended up being cheaper than rock auto and all bendix and raybestos parts. I can lock up all 4 tires with 35 12.50.

If this is going to be an off road rig I'd delete that stupid fucking GM ABS, but I would double check your front abs sensors and unit bearings :homer:.

Have you pulled the drums and got a visual on what’s going on yet? Might just be a locked up adjuster and that needs to be freed up and adjusted for $0

96 should have slide off drums

Have you pulled the drums and got a visual on what’s going on yet? Might just be a locked up adjuster and that needs to be freed up and adjusted for $0

96 should have slide off drums
Of course not, where do you think this is? :lmao:

Been slammed this week getting cleaned up and ready for a party this weekend. Didn't want to have it torn apart in the garage space where food will be setup tomorrow. Next week things might calm down and I can tear into it

Ok, pulled one side of the drums this morning. These drums are bad (same as the rotors were). They should have been turned or replaced about 2 sets of shoes ago, now they have a 1/8"+ groove in them and the aduster wheel was almost maxed out.... But based on comments that this setup works fine when taken care of I'm going to rebuild them as is

Top Back Refresh