What's new

95 RRC W/4.2 am I a HIGH?

hooligan shmulligan

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Thinking about picking up a Rover with a 4.2 and auto with Trutrac and 4.10s. I don't know shit about Rovers. What am I getting into? It checks a lot of boxes for me since my Montero SAS hasn't gone very far. Sounds the Borg t-case is a weak link. Is a 230 all that it's cracked up to be. The tea drinking inbreeder fan boys just goo gaa over them. Not a real fan of a all the time t case. Would rather swap out a Dana 300 but it doesn't look like anyone makes a swap kit.

They are capable, but heavy wallowy pigs when lifted.

Lt230 is a great t-case as long as you keep them full of gear oil.

Sometimes the Borg Warner needs a little more throttle to get the loaded axle's wheels to turn... like when pulling up out of a hole to a steep incline. That can make the glass-like stock rear axle shafts snap like twigs.

I used to wheel with several guys with Range Rovers that had Borg Warners. After a day of wheeling we went to a restaurant that had an inclined parking lot. One of the RR had a broken rear axle shaft that happened late in the day that the owner did not realize . The RR was found at the other end of the parking lot backed into a light pole. The viscus coupling let it slowly roll away in park.

Last edited:
The borg warners working fine are good. The last one I had which was seized had no oil in the front housing. Looks like if the level gets low that's the bit that gets dry first.
No oil means no cooling and with extended wheel spin they can seize.

The 4.2 engine is the bigger question mark. Does the dude below still have his D1 drivetrain for sale? Good for spares.

Top Back Refresh