What's new

'93 chev c3500 w/ a 502 -or- 08' 5.4l 4x4 f350 superduty. work truck choice?

Pics of the engine?

Is it really a GM 502? 5 seconds on google says they're $8k+ even a short block is $6k.

If so, I can't see how a tbi setup made to put out 170 hp isn't completely choking it out. :laughing:

I'm also curious for an engine bay pic, hopefully we can see a casting number. I would hope that the fuel system is SOMETHING better than stock 1993 TBI... :lmao:

the guy i bought it from runs a repair shop, and my first question was how can i be sure/ know its a 502? he said something about number of bolts on the timing cover, and something else i forget. i trust him.

where would i find casting numbers on the block? i'll get a pick of them.

the tbi feels like its holding the motor back. it feels a lot better than the last tbi 454 5speed truck that i had, but its also not impressive. going down the road its feels like its pulls hard from idle to a little over 2000rpm then falls off.

i really dont need a monster motor, a stock tbi350 would work for me just fine. so for the time being i'm not planning on doing much, i might get a better fuel pump and insrease the pressure as i was reading at this link that could help.
the exhaust is only a single 3" too which according to the info in the link is way to small.

in my google i've also seen that there is one version of the 502 made with a small cam that was supposed to be a direct replacement for a tbi454. ht502 i think, i'm not sure if that's whats there but it would make sense.

i'm also not sure if i mentioned i think the truck has been regeared, at 70mph on the dash is 60mph on gps, i'm curious what the ratio is.

down the road maybe a carb or a real efi unit might be considered. and a cam if it needs it.

for right now i'm just going to see if i can get my flatbed to fit on it and put it to work.

QFLy7PGnTRncwaCQWTo9HyE2QU=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

IpxUH7YieAcl-3JPPINVoajyqA=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

heres a link to an ht502

That is a nice dually! So clean I'd be afraid to work out of it. A half day of junkyard shopping should get your old 1500 back in action.

The gmt400 chevys make good light duty work trucks as you already know. Low tailgate height, ride nice, just enough power, and cheap parts. I wouldn't want to drag a dump trailer though rough terrain with them all the time, that a superduty job. But for working out of like you seem to do its a good rig.

My friend is actually giving me a truck that has all the parts i need to fix the 1500, should be picking it up this weekend. i do want it back on the road. i like the super cush 1500 ride. great for bombing dirt gravel roads like someone else has said.

and i'm not one to keep shit nice and dont really care about destroying a clean truck, i'm not going to try to destroy it, but shit happens and it wont ruin my day. my little brother on the other hand is having a hard time knowing this thing feel into my hands. i told him he can have it if he brings me a nother work truck, but i doubt that will happen.

and light ish duty work is what this thing will do, i might see how it is towing, but i do have the van or superduty for that.

this thing could be a fun truck i end up putting some time and money into, but for now its work

I think the casting number is going to be on the block, right below the rear of the driver side head. You'll need a mirror-on-a-stick or stuff your cell phone back there to get a pic.

driver side rear under head

IyU-7dfats887C3bgPDo6asvWC=w463-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

that would be k30

also found this pass front below head

mhSSHGYR8QZ_1e667ZMQqLA0Sw=w463-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

hard to really see but part no 12568779.

i haven't had any luck with positive id yet

Last edited:
I think the casting number is going to be on the block, right below the rear of the driver side head. You'll need a mirror-on-a-stick or stuff your cell phone back there to get a pic.

found this link. it list the same part number.

from the link;

Big-Block performance​

With 461 horsepower and 558 lb.-ft. of torque, our 502 HO crate engine has power on tap for every need — from a ’69 Chevelle to a newer Suburban.

PART NO. 12568778​

shit fuck. its one number off, idunno:confused:

part number comes up on a boat forum

maybe the 779 is the reman version of the 778
like how VW will stamp an X at the end of the part number on reman stuff

i'm not wasteing any more time looking the numbers up.

in any case i'm sure its a 502 motor. and i'm sure the tbi isn't getting it enough fuel to make the power numbers its capable of. that tbi mods site says with new fuel pump and more pressure the tbi should support up to 440hp. probably start there.

i plan to pull the bed today so maybe i yank the pump and see if its been upgraded or not.

The CFM of the 454 TBI might be able to support that...

But the tuning wont. Trying to dump more fuel via pressure wont make a difference

The CFM of the 454 TBI might be able to support that...

But the tuning wont. Trying to dump more fuel via pressure wont make a difference
You can compensate a fair amount with various "tricks" like adding fuel pressure or bigger injectors. All this shit was SOP in the 90s because good tuning wasn't really a thing then. He won't wring power out of it like a modern tuner would but he'll at least be able to do a lot better than he'd do without any changes to the factory stuff.

so yeah, plans are to maybe add fuel pressure, but mostly just drive it and use for work. once i get my 1500 fixed up, which could be just a weekends work, this truck isn't needed for anything other than a backup or spare. thats when the fun starts. the wheels are turning for what to do down the road...
keep the truck together and do superduty axles, or maybe take the motor out and put it in the '69 swb chev out back??? (the 69 is completely restored under the sheet metal, and just lost the trans...) which if i can get enough work out might be as soon as this winter, could also be much longer.

i'm really liking what i have to start with. the truck, and the motor. i really like doing cool shit for cheap, anyone can spend a lot of money on cool. but also i'm not a broke dick hack that wont spend the money when needed.

the 502 could be real fun in this truck. but the superduty axles under the currect truck with a flatbed, and the motor properly fed and tuned i think would be even better, more work but more better. other than proper fual and tuning everythign i already have.

the 69 thats out back.
kxmJs56gYBlILUDr7a7_xCG0rc=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

iyHu63hYceL-SrmdrAoS4dVG87=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

like i said before, the 502 truck will get 2-5k miles a year for work, thats it. and the truck should stay in good condition, but i work around big equipment, loaders cranes and on the water where the truck is in the middle of the crap on a barge. with loads overhead. damage happens.

I did the same Google searches you guys did, no luck.

So I called Chevy Performance.

12568779 is the same engine as a 12568778, but also included the intake manifold. It's a 502 HO.

If someone dropped the coin to swap that in I could only imagine that they did SOMETHING to the TBI to support it. Can you get a pic of the throttle body?

I did the same Google searches you guys did, no luck.

So I called Chevy Performance.

12568779 is the same engine as a 12568778, but also included the intake manifold. It's a 502 HO.

If someone dropped the coin to swap that in I could only imagine that they did SOMETHING to the TBI to support it. Can you get a pic of the throttle body?

dude, thanks for calling them and figuring that out!:beer:

i will take any picture that helps, it sure doesn't feel like its got the big hp and tq the 502ho it is capable of. strong in the low end but falls off. its happy cruising at 1k rpm. steep hill to my place i just came up in 4th gear about 15-20mph easy. not loaded. i hope to try out with a load by the end of the day. working on getting the bed off it now... i also think it has a larger than stock fuel tank. looks newish and bigger than my other truck.

taking pictures now if there are any better pics i can take to help figure out what i'm dealing with, i'm all over it!

I'll let others chime in... The three tall hex bolts don't look stock, and the TB itself looks like it might have had some porting work. Maybe?

i think the truck has been regeared, at 70mph on the dash is 60mph on gps, i'm curious what the ratio is.

If you lift up the rear tires (trans in neutral), spin one tire a single revolution and count the number of times the driveshaft turns. That should get you a very close guess without opening the differential cover.

That those pictures makes me feel like I'm a teenager at the junkyard. :laughing:
it aint super clean, but junk yard shit aint that clean.

at least i dont think, i've never been to a junkyard to find parts. we have one yard here and it isn't worth going to i only call them to pick up the junk i'm done with. i'm right between a mil squid town to the south, and yuppie deluxe islands to the north. i mostly work north.

There should be a part number printed on top of the injectors. You can see them by unplugging the harnesses from the injectors. If they've been in there a long time, you may not be able to read them though. But if you can read them, you should be able to figure out if they're stock, or upgraded.

Pete

There should be a part number printed on top of the injectors. You can see them by unplugging the harnesses from the injectors. If they've been in there a long time, you may not be able to read them though. But if you can read them, you should be able to figure out if they're stock, or upgraded.

Pete
this part?

XsyT2ogmwInSFIA_mgXOU6qlvJ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

threre gotta be a place i need to clean to see?

the more i drive it the better it feels. put 2 cans of seaform in the fuel tank, and decided to get the flatbed off the other truck before taking the bed off this one.

so i'm going to use it to take the dump trailer to the county dump and then get eyes on the parts truck to fix the 1500 that i wrecked. probably 1.5hr of drivetime with a trailer, not gonna leave till 5pm my time, its 3:15 here now.

is it weird this thing has the oil pressure gauge pegged until it gets warm? its drops to 40ish on the dash once warm.

maybe i should change the oil, looked at some receipts and looks like its had 10-30 the the last change was 10-40. no idea why

is it weird this thing has the oil pressure gauge pegged until it gets warm? its drops to 40ish on the dash once warm.

maybe i should change the oil, looked at some receipts and looks like its had 10-30 the the last change was 10-40. no idea why
Definitely change the oil, perhaps even to synthetic if you're feeling flush...

Aaron Z

can't just move the spring perches inboard on the axle housing? IIRC they're mounted to the inner-c on the narrow axles and on the axle tube on the wide axles

get the wide track one because dually and bonus steering angle

Didn't even think of that, honestly.

good info

got a build thread going?

No, not yet.

I'm glad you bought this truck though. Cause I was going to ask you for the guys info if you passed on it!

That TBI unit looks all stock to me, but it could have different injectors in it, or a pressure regulator. There are little things that you can do to them to help it out a bit, but it'll never be a hotrod with the stock tbi stuff on it.

I don't know what the 502s would say but the side of a 454 has 7.4 cast into the side of the block. I don't even know what it takes to build a 502 from a 454:homer:

this part?

XsyT2ogmwInSFIA_mgXOU6qlvJ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

threre gotta be a place i need to clean to see?

Yes. The dark color around the orange terminals - is that just oil? If so, clean it out and that's where the part number should be. At least that's how it is on the 4.3/SBC ones.

Top Back Refresh