What's new

91 FJ80 Build

Got the motor resealed and the transmission. Going back together to hopefully not come out again.
IMG_2685.jpeg
IMG_2686.jpeg

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks like the shaft for the alternator is wobbling.

It may be an optical illusion, but it looks like the shaft for the alternator is wobbling.
I didn’t notice earlier but I think you’re right. It’s a brand new alternator from summit. I’ll look at it closer and see what’s happening.

Nice, I'm totally into the 6 speed auto over the 4speed. I didn't even realize there was a Gen 4 4.8, I may steal your idea :flipoff2:

You may have mentioned it, but what's your tcase set up as far as high and low range gears?

I'd like to put an lt230 behind a 6l80e as I think it would be perfect ratios.

Nice, I'm totally into the 6 speed auto over the 4speed. I didn't even realize there was a Gen 4 4.8, I may steal your idea :flipoff2:

You may have mentioned it, but what's your tcase set up as far as high and low range gears?

I'd like to put an lt230 behind a 6l80e as I think it would be perfect ratios.
I'm using the factory FJ80 transfer case. Low range is 2.49:1 and High range is 1:1.

I'm using the factory FJ80 transfer case. Low range is 2.49:1 and High range is 1:1.

Gotcha, with the 4:1 1st it will probably be pretty good for most situations.

The 80 cases are interesting with the 1.1:1 high gears as an option.

Gotcha, with the 4:1 1st it will probably be pretty good for most situations.

The 80 cases are interesting with the 1.1:1 high gears as an option.
The 80 series case has some options. 1.1:1 high range as well as a 3:1 low. So you can get better overdrive and better crawl gears in one unit.

Especially Those of us with 1991 FJ 80's..." types in Toyota part number....NLA " :laughing:
It feels like every damn part is NLA. 🤣 Get pretty good at Jerry rigging newer parts to fit the older applications

Any idea what the wieght difference between the stock engine and trans and the new stuff?

Is the 4.8 aluminum or iron block?

Any idea what the wieght difference between the stock engine and trans and the new stuff?

Is the 4.8 aluminum or iron block?
Iron block 4.8l

The front end looks lighter with the 4.8l/6l80 vs the 3FE/A440 combo. I didn't weigh them but I wish I had.

Google fu shows the following: (But I don't know about the A440 weight that transmission is massive compared to the 6L80.)
3FE weighs ~650lbs and the A440 weighs ~215ilbs dry for a total of ~865lbs
4.8l weighs ~580lbs and the 6L80 weighs ~195lbs dry for a total of ~775lbs

So its a little lighter.

I need to air up the tires to a more road worthy pressure. I think the Autozone power steering pump is dead, because it intermittently works. I need to plumb the crankcase vent on the passenger valve cover to the intake because currently it’s an unmetered air leak that whistles 🤣. Need to order fittings to get the AC connected. Also need to adjust the throw of the shift lever because it’s nowhere near where it needs to be. But it was a successful first ride and it didn’t explode so that’s good. :smokin:

Top Back Refresh