What's new

90s vortec 5.7 oil filter mounts.

total newb

senior jerk ass
Member Number
Loc
trinity center ca
I got a 90s vortec mpfi motor and it has the dumbass side mount oil filter and cooler line base.

I would have assumed you could just take it off and put a standard sbc/bbc oil filter base on BUT the block is significantly different than what i know.

So i need a pn or way to do a standard vertical filter. I found a gm pn# 12556204 that is used in car motor but didnt find any and some other ## but nothing leading me to a result.

What have you done or do i need to screw on a standard wix 1060 sbc/bbc filter verticaly?
im not dedicated to that filter but its what i do use on my other sbc/bbc stuff.

Ok. Thats all i thought i was gona need till i saw the block was different around the seat than a normal sbc/bbc. Ill grab one and see what happens

15313 is the purolator, same thread as older engines filter but this ones shorter than what would go in a squarebody truck because the driveshaft is real damn close to the oil filter on a vortec in an obs chassis.

Is the cooler line being used?? Did you reroute or do something different???
Just asking out of curiosity, I’ve got a 90 Chev last year and might be asking the same thing when I end up going through it!!!!

Just asking out of curiosity, I’ve got a 90 Chev last year and might be asking the same thing when I end up going through it!!!!

You remove the entire cooler line assembly from the block. Install the old school filter adapter posted above and install a filter. I’ve done it countless time to get rid of leaking lines and coolers.

Shit no. Yanked the whole stupid fucking thing off

Yanked the vertical one off my squarebody too cause it got a hole in the alum line

If anyone still needs the numbers- did this on my 97 w/ a 350 a couple years ago because the lines leaked.

Melling MFA350 filter adapter
Allstar ALL92001 bolts
WIX 51069 filter (plenty of room if you're lifted, ACDelco PF454 if not)
Plugs for the oil ports in the radiator - forgot the size.
Throw the leaky piece of fuck lines as far as you can into the woods

Enjoy a vertical filter, enjoy no more drips in the driveway, enjoy not having to drain your oil through the front driveshaft

Another stupid question.... what is the purpose of cooling the oil in the first place??? It obviously doesn’t need it if these mods have been done and worked!!!

Another stupid question.... what is the purpose of cooling the oil in the first place??? It obviously doesn’t need it if these mods have been done and worked!!!

Longer oil change intervals, less sludge, oil gets up to temp faster and pretty much never overheats unless the cooling system can't keep up.

The only reason not to run it is because GM made it shitty and unreliable.

I replaced mine with a $15 Mr gasket adapter from O'Reilly.

I run a filter off a late 8.1L truck. Short but fat with a decent amount of filter media. K&N HP-1011

Top Back Refresh