What's new

9” southbend

surpip

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Sac, Ca
Picked up from my neighbor for 500 duckets, lotta learning to do, don’t know what half of this stuff does.
F4694249-F4D2-4F48-8BA9-1E8CD9F32CC5.jpeg
FCCF22F5-C465-4EFE-9687-2241EF27F8C5.jpeg
FC6CC05F-6E43-4CF3-8EAB-663E0498D29C.jpeg
4FB56502-6170-41F4-B88F-9D48BB2347AF.jpeg
6C29B938-F369-4AAB-8F4C-436C73BE675F.jpeg
3141904E-19DD-45DE-92ED-392EA4FFDCD0.jpeg

Attachments

• 9DF7E63A-DA93-449C-9BCE-7F59DDF78620.jpeg
    9DF7E63A-DA93-449C-9BCE-7F59DDF78620.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Nice find!
The part in the bottom full size picture is for cutting consistently sized small diameter, long parts. You adjust the cutter for size, the 2 rollers stabilize the material and keep it from pushing away from the cutter.

I have that same lathe I picked up off the curb. Jealous of all the tooling, that will come in handy. I just used a V-belt, probably from a 22re, and it transmits enough torque from the 110V motor. Make sure you clean out and lube up the head bearing, they can go bad quickly if run dry.

You got well over $500 worth of extra tooling with that thing. That turret attachment alone is probably worth that much.

Nice.
What would that turret be good for? Is it just a little faster than a quick change post for multiple operations?

What would that turret be good for? Is it just a little faster than a quick change post for multiple operations?

It takes place of the tailstock, not the compound/tool holder. If you had a lot of repeat tailstock operations, it would speed things up big time. Think - center drill, pilot drill, final drill, countersink/chamfer could each be done quickly by rotating the turret vs. having to swap the entire tool in the tailstock or swap them in a drill chuck. Can't tell if that turret is automatic where after you run the tool to depth and return the handle, it would automatically rotate to the next tool. You likely have to rotate that one manually. Still way faster than swapping tools.

box tool goes in the turret
geometric die head would too

you can really make a whole fuckton of stuff with a turret and a bit of creativity

box tool goes in the turret
geometric die head would too

you can really make a whole fuckton of stuff with a turret and a bit of creativity
You can make all that shit with the toolpost. The turret and creativity just make you tons faster.

I have a serpentine belt coming that I’ll splice on the machine, but for now this is pretty cool, this is my first chips pretty much ever, I can see how this could be a ton a fun to just make stuff to learn.

Also considering getting one of these to do some basic milling. Like maybe 1911 rails or something

Mini Vertical Slide (90 x 50 mm) for instant Machine milling on lathe metal working lathe tool Amazon.com

It’s that or the mill I don’t have 🤷‍♂️ is there a better option?

Wait until you can find a mill. Even an import bench top round column would be lightyears ahead of those.

I bought the milling attachment for my Atlas when I first got it. It's a pain in the dick to set up. Anything more than a couple thou cut will knock it out of square and you'll need to set it up again. Nothing on those small lathes is rigid enough to get any kind of accurate milling cut out of them. I used mine for one or two projects that were barely acceptable and never touched it again.

I've milled hexes onto setscrews just holding them in the tool post

it'll get you by on something really basic but...meh
if you finish out a 1911 forging with one
well, wow

Well, hey hey , new best friend! That‘s cool, some year I need to build a garage/shop and get one of those.

Well, hey hey , new best friend! That‘s cool, some year I need to build a garage/shop and get one of those.
Lol, I don’t know shit about fuck, i burnt up 4 inserts just trying to figure out how to cut that keg top.

Top Back Refresh