What's new

88 F700 Tow King - convert from Daytons?

mrstang01

Member Number
I practically stole an 88 F700 with a flat deck that was previously a State Asphalt dump of some kind, looks like the hoses are still there, but not the pump or lift for the dump. At some point I'd like to set it back up for dumping. Right now it's running on 20's on Dayton wheels. How hard would it be to convert to 10 lug 11r22.5? It runs well, but top speed looks to be about 55-60, especially with the old bias tires.

Why do you want to convert to budds other than to make changing a tire harder? 20s and 22.5s (not sure about 24.5s) are interchangeable. You can just get 22.5 rims for your current daytons.

Budds are cheaper to run if you're running a fleet of trucks that racks up millions of miles but that comes at a price of being less easily serviceable (gotta drad out the 1" impact or torque multiplier just to change a tire). For a personal use vehicle it's almost certainly not worth it.

There's no reason you can't drive 80+ on Daytons. You see trucks doing that every day on the highway around here. If your tires are old and shit then replace them.

Shouldn’t be very hard at all as long as it has a standard brake system and a common axel bolt pattern. on it. Hubs cost around 300 loaded with bearings and a seal.

As mentioned above just get som 22.5 Dayton rims and be done. I have done this many times. The only time I don’t like Dayton’s is when you have to do a brake job other than that they are a stronger axle tire mount vs the 10 hole unimount. I crack 6-8 unimount wheels a year, never had a Dayton system fail.

That sounds like good advice, guess I'll start hunting for some decent 22.5 Dayton rims. Why would they be harder to do a brake job on? As you can tell, I'm a newbie to Heavy Trucks

Why would they be harder to do a brake job on?

Because the drum is bolted to the back of the hub whereas budds are typically slip fit over the hub so you have to pull a heavy hub off in order to take the drum off. It's another one of those things that isn't really a big deal to someone running one truck for personal use but makes a decent difference for a fleet.

Gotcha, thanks! Where's the best source to look for rims? We don't really have any big truck salvage near Lexington, KY that I've found.

Gotcha, thanks! Where's the best source to look for rims? We don't really have any big truck salvage near Lexington, KY that I've found.

Stop at the otr tire shop. Not discount tire or any strip mall tire shop. They are the ones that have stacks of tires piled around the building. The building looks like someone backed into every peice of tin. They can help you out.

just jinxed myself one of my dumps broke a unimount rim this morning. Here is what a loaded hub costs nowadays.

9E3F09D5-703D-4BD1-8337-C48BB676D214.jpeg

Top Back Refresh