What's new

88 4runner hardtop question

Landcruzer

Member Number
Ive got a 1988 4runner I recently picked up. The hard top is weathered on the top part and the fibers are starting to show. It doesn't have any cracks or other damage. What would be the best way to repair this? Could I just skim it with body filler, sand and paint? Paint on a coat of fiberglass resin? I haven't done a lot of fiberglass work, but i get the basic idea . The top is definitely worth saving, im just not sure about the best way to repair it. Thanks

I would probably skip plain bondo because it will crack with flexing and look for a fiberglass specific solution instead

My 87 had a damaged top, as well. I just got a different one. At the time, there were several near me for sale on CL, but I actually ended up getting a very nice black top from a Pick-n-Pull yard for about 75 bucks. I miss the days when you used to be able to get them for free. :D

just skim it with resin with a bondo paddle, the cleaner you do it the less sanding later. the fibers are still there, just the resin is worn off. In my fiberglass bot when the benches got that way i just painted a couple coats of paint over it and it's fine.

Just went through this last week on my 89 restoration: DA with 320, light prime and 2k single stage paint. I like the factory texture on it and didn't want to lose that. Two med wet coats locked the fibers and it still looks factory.

Try and avoid a topping if you can. Sanding sucks.

Top Back Refresh