What's new

85 Dodge Crewcab Tow Rig

To me, you have a simple truck, I would not want to make it complicated by cobbling in a GM IFS system.
I'd just buy a wrecked 3rd gen (from your pic it looks like you already like them) and swap all that over.

To me, you have a simple truck, I would not want to make it complicated by cobbling in a GM IFS system.
I'd just buy a wrecked 3rd gen (from your pic it looks like you already like them) and swap all that over.

That 5 link front end has almost the same amount of moving parts and aren't exactly know for being super solid. If he's doing a chassis swap, it shouldn't really matter what the donor is. Although, I can agree that trying to frame splice or retrofit the ifs doesn't sound appealing.

I think GMT 400 IFS would be money....I almost wonder in you could even adapt the a arms to the dodge mounts, and then add the torsion bars and crossmember, and diff and use the dodge steering setup.

or just do a frame swap, or front frame splice.....
Yeah I’ve thought about that way as well. Plan on seeing if I can find one in a junkyard to rob some stuff off of to compare and mock up. We will see I guess

I’ve had a few 3rd gens. Mostly had first and second gens though. They’re all right. The only reason I have one now is for the mega cab because all my first and second gen backseats were just too small for my dogs. This truck will replace that one. I just won’t be able to get the ride height I want to achieve with that chassis. I will say it crossed my mind though. Every platform has their issues regardless. Just gotta choose which problems you want to deal with.

Top Back Refresh