What's new

77 Wagoneer Transplant

DIRTKID

Member Number
Jeep Wagoneer fans, Im looking for knowledge on replacing my AMC engine with a Vortec 7.4 (98'). I'm under the impression this is a Gen 6 454. My question to the group is will this fit in the engine bay of the 77 Wagoneer before I purchase the Vortec?

Full size jeep network has alot older tech articles and may have the answer you seek . I have to ask why though ? If the 454 is stock its not gonna be a major improvement at any angle.

Thanks for the info. Main reason is ease of parts and cost. I'm in Arizona and would need an engine rebuilder that knows about AMC. No joke called on 3 local to my house and none have AMC knowledge.Two of the 3 stated "They are a pain in the as* to work on". I believe they are easier to work on just the age is causing issues with getting knowledgeable local help. Trying to avoid some hack who thinks they know stuff but only works on Chevy and Ford but knows nothing about AMC clearances and tolerances, oil journal mod, etc.. If anyone knows a quality person please share.

Thanks for the info. Main reason is ease of parts and cost. I'm in Arizona and would need an engine rebuilder that knows about AMC. No joke called on 3 local to my house and none have AMC knowledge.Two of the 3 stated "They are a pain in the as* to work on". I believe they are easier to work on just the age is causing issues with getting knowledgeable local help. Trying to avoid some hack who thinks they know stuff but only works on Chevy and Ford but knows nothing about AMC clearances and tolerances, oil journal mod, etc.. If anyone knows a quality person please share.
Bj's offroad sells long blocks also and I think jegs does as well . I lucked up and bought a fresh one off craigslist for $800 . As long as your not trying to squeeze it for horsepower just rebuilding your amc in stock form should be a no brainer for a good engine builder. And youll get good service out of it. The engine I pulled out of mine had 200k and it was still running, and could kill any bug within a forty foot radius.

AMC engines are stupid easy to work on, those shops just don't want to work on old shit. A 454 is a waste and not worth the effort LS swap is definitely worth it if you are going to swap.

I'll assume that you are not doing any work yourself?

I can't answer if the 454 will fit. I know a 500 caddy fits, I know a 455 fits, and I personally know a 440 Mopar fits (because it's in my Wag)

The engine bay is pretty big. You might need to go to hydroboost brakes to get rid of the vac booster, might need to relocate the heater box to under the dash, etc. The 440 fit pretty easy. I did need hydroboost but the heater box cleared.

I can't answer if the 454 will fit. I know a 500 caddy fits, I know a 455 fits, and I personally know a 440 Mopar fits (because it's in my Wag)

The engine bay is pretty big. You might need to go to hydroboost brakes to get rid of the vac booster, might need to relocate the heater box to under the dash, etc. The 440 fit pretty easy. I did need hydroboost but the heater box cleared.
Just curious man , did you or have you did any frame bracing to yours ? Not necessarily from the big block swap but for wheelin in general. When I get mine at full twist I can hear the body creaking bad. The doors still open and shut at that point , I just wonder for how long lol.

On IFSJ someone asked this question. Consensus was that it has been done, but the stock heater box in the engine compartment has to go and some stated that you may need a body lift or suspension lift to drop it and tuck it under the hood.

GM shoved a 454 into the Corvette from the factory, which doesn't have an overly high engine bay. Per this site, you are looking at something around 23.5 inches tall. You can squeeze a 4bt or 6bt under the hood of an FSJ with a drop cradle, and they ain't exactly short (about 38 inches high)-- so I don't see why a 454 couldn't fit if that is what you want to do.

Is the 454 free? If not... Just buy a totaled/registration issues 3/4 chevy with a 6.0 in it and steal the rear axle while you're there. Got my 5.3 drivetrain "free" by buying a suburban and parting out the rest.

Hi Guys, Thank you for all the input. The reason for the 454 was simply to connect to the HD TH400 and a round pattern NP205 setup. I was looking to avoid adapters and bizarre flywheel customs. Simply put be able to buy stuff from OReilly or Autozone if needed. Since the 454 would bolt directly to the TH400 without adapters or flywheel mods. If there is another option that direct bolts to the TH400 Bellhousing Im down for that as well. The 454 was not free I would need to purchase it.

An AMC bolt pattern TH400 isn't going to marry up to a Chebby Big Block.

Note that for those with the earlier Kaiser Wagoneer-- the TH400 behind the Buick 350 has a BOP pattern (Buick Oldsmobile) TH400. So that won't work with a Chebby big block either...

Last edited:
Sorry should have written that better. It is a Chevy TH400 not the AMC TH400.

I'd look into either The Jeep Farm in Phoenix or AZ AMC restorations, in Pearoria.

Tried to link screenshots from facespace for both but I suck at internetting. :homer:

Or 5.3. Hard to beat value for the money.

Well then, any small or big block V8 chebby will fit on a TH400 with the standard Chevy V8 bellhousing. A 4800 V6, or most LS V8's. Even a Gm 6.2 diesel would bolt up.

Links:

The Jeep Farm
AZ AMC Restorations

An AMC bolt pattern TH400 isn't going to marry up to a Chebby Big Block.

Note that for those with the earlier Kaiser Wagoneer-- the TH400 behind the Buick 350 has a BOP pattern (Buick Oldsmobile) TH400. So that won't work with a Chebby big block either...
Yes it will with the Buick 350. I had a 71. Used a standard chevy th400 but had an adapter from the chevy pattern to the bop that was about an inch and a half thick. It was factory. My grandpa bought it new in 71.

Just curious man , did you or have you did any frame bracing to yours ? Not necessarily from the big block swap but for wheelin in general. When I get mine at full twist I can hear the body creaking bad. The doors still open and shut at that point , I just wonder for how long lol.

I haven't yet, when I link it and do the doubler I'll be adding some crossmembers for those bits which may add some rigidity. My wag the tailgate won't line up at all if you open it off camber. And that's with all new body mounts, a solid frame, etc.

wt91 Just curious where did you find the body mounts? I'm referring the the rotted rubber pucks. DuckDuckGo only shows the poly body lifts which are used in conjunction with the pucks. Thanks

Dirtkid -
Like others I cannot say if a 454 will fit, but I did swap a Caddy 472 into a J-series. As others have stated, the heater core box is an issue. I was able to massage the box to keep it in the engine bay. Clearance was tight, but it fit.

if you are swapping, LS is probably the way to go. Ditch the turbo 400 while you're at it and go full drivetrain swap from your donor.

Yes it will with the Buick 350. I had a 71. Used a standard chevy th400 but had an adapter from the chevy pattern to the bop that was about an inch and a half thick. It was factory. My grandpa bought it new in 71.

My bad, the 327 engines also had an adapter.

Is the easiest way to install new axles to add leaf springs to them first then attach to the 2 frame mounting positions then the 2 front shackles?
PS: Thank you for the body puck purchase location.

Do you all know what the torque specs call for on the rear leafs both shackle bolts upper and lower and the front hard-mount ? 77 Wagoneer

I had a 92 tbi 454 in my 77 chief and a 80 with a carburetor my 78 honcho. It clears the heater box and vacuum booster with a 3" body lift. The p.o.s. in the chief died and I did the 5.3 swap. Best thing I have done to that thing! Good power, better mileage, fits better and the weight loss over the front. Really no down side

Top Back Refresh