What's new

7.3 Powerstroke Starter Upgrades?

Grnd93

The Dude
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
Starter in my 99 F2Shiity Super Poopy is getting weak. I’d like to replace before it totally shits the bed.

What options are available for upgrades?

I’ve read 2000-2003 will work. Anything else I’m missing?

Get a Denso-style starter: Amazon.com

Description with tech specs and videos here: 94.5-03 7.3L Denso High Output Gear Reduction Starter - TG228000-8420

I bought one of the chinese knock offs in 2018 (DB I think?) and it was a noticeable improvement. I don't like that it only uses two of the three starter bolts, but it has been fine so far.

Comparison with a stock starter:
pxl_20230211_214206433-jpg.jpg

Pretty sure 486 said something about using one out of an MDT. You're gonna have to post this question in chit chat because he can't be tagged and doesn't come around here though. :laughing:

Description with tech specs and videos here: 94.5-03 7.3L Denso High Output Gear Reduction Starter - TG228000-8420

I bought one of the chinese knock offs in 2018 (DB I think?) and it was a noticeable improvement. I don't like that it only uses two of the three starter bolts, but it has been fine so far.

If you do this, make sure you buy longer bolts, the stock bolts will pull out the threads in the aluminum bellhousing due to thicker denso.

I have real denso on my 01' and love it, its been great for 4-5 yrs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put a used 6.7 starter on my 97, i would do this on my 01' if I had to do it again. You need a stock gear reduction starter nosecone to swap on.

img_8528_38ed0c428802acce7dca8d7f6525f6e39e7703a6.jpg
img_8536_945e0a26121d73942e2d1d2fd11ba87ddc1d3036.jpg
img_8538_424f1ab0a388cfd38001ad9c1bd0092c4a6950cc.jpg

I put a used 6.7 starter on my 97, i would do this on my 01' if I had to do it again. You need a stock gear reduction starter nosecone to swap on.

More info? It doesn't look much different from the stock starter. You think it cranks the motor harder and faster than the Denso?

EDIT: Got a video of a cold start? I noticed the engine was already up to operating temperature in that video. Looks like it's cranking around 200 RPM before it lights off. I might take a video of my truck for comparison. If I do, it will be a "cold" start at ~80°F and the truck hasn't been driven since Saturday.

More info? It doesn't look much different from the stock starter. You think it cranks the motor harder and faster than the Denso?

EDIT: Got a video of a cold start? I noticed the engine was already up to operating temperature in that video. Looks like it's cranking around 200 RPM before it lights off. I might take a video of my truck for comparison. If I do, it will be a "cold" start at ~80°F and the truck hasn't been driven since Saturday.
pic from left to right is oem 97, 2001 gear reduction and 6.7

unbolt 7.3 gear reduction nose cone and bolt on 6.7, just be careful not to fuck it up like i did the 7.3 starter on left in disassembled picture

before with old batteries, probably 50-60*

after with old batteries and 6.7 starter, probably 50-60*

cold with new batts and 6.7 probably in the 40's

I did the same a couple weeks ago on my 97. Went to move the truck so I could pass by with equipment and click click. Got it going with a hammer.

Start wasn't even 5 yrs old, maybe 8k miles.

Did need to bend the lug off the battery but otherwise a bolt in.

Seems to crank faster, though the old one worked fine till it quit. Schucks gave me a credit on it, was lifetime warranty.

Will see when it gets cold. Fought with it some this winter, though also found out my NOCO battery charger won't charge if it's colder than -4*.. "for safety"

Cold i mean like -30*. If your shit can't start at 40*, it's junk.

Auto and manual trucks both need longer mounting bolts with denso

I got a picture somewhere

45mm is perfect, i used 50mm cause all store had

IMG_7488.jpeg

IMG_7489.jpeg
IMG_7490.jpeg
IMG_7491.jpeg

Last edited:
My last 7.3 I put a 6.4 starter in. Spun faster and bolted directly in, I possibly had to change the cable lug to a 90/45? but can’t remember if that was because I found corrosion or if it was required but was cheap and easy to do

Auto and manual trucks both need longer mounting bolts with denso

I got a picture somewhere

45mm is perfect, i used 50mm cause all store had

IMG_7488.jpeg

IMG_7489.jpeg
IMG_7490.jpeg
IMG_7491.jpeg
I used the stock bolts. The flange seemed to be the same thickness, but can't say I measured.

Does only use 2 bolts vs 3 on the Mitsubishi starter.

Those 7.3’s are known to corrode between the starter and bellhousing, that causes a voltage drop. I’ve seen this plenty of times.
But 6.7 starter is a nice upgrade.

I took a quick video of mine starting at 70°F after a week of sitting. The caveats are that the truck still has the original HPOP and injectors at 276,000 miles, and the batteries are getting old and the cables have never been replaced. My starter is 6 years old with 40,000 miles on it, and it is a no-brand Chinese Denso-style knockoff for reference. I am pretty sure this is the one I bought (or very similar) High Torque Starter 4.0kW fits Ford F750 7.3L/444CI V8 Diesel 2000 - 2003 4N6770 | eBay

Looks like the 6.7L starter cranks harder as mine looks like it only spins the engine around 100rpm before catching, but not exactly apples to apples between the two trucks.

Last edited:
I took a quick video of mine starting at 70°F after a week of sitting. The caveats are that the truck still has the original HPOP and injectors at 276,000 miles, and the batteries are getting old and the cables have never been replaced. My starter is 6 years old with 40,000 miles on it, and it is a no-brand Chinese Denso-style knockoff for reference. I am pretty sure this is the one I bough (or very similar) High Torque Starter 4.0kW fits Ford F750 7.3L/444CI V8 Diesel 2000 - 2003 4N6770 | eBay

Looks like the 6.7L starter cranks harder as mine looks like it only spins the engine around 100rpm before catching, but not exactly apples to apples between the two trucks.

That sounds about like my 01' with name brand denso and 5 year old batt's & original cables.

The 6.7 starter in my 97' is original cables and >1 yr old batteries

The faster you spin a diesel the easier it starts, especially in cold weather.

I have been using those Denso type starters in 7.3’s and they do crank faster than the OE starters. My guess is about 25 RPM’s faster.

Last edited:
Anyone else here having trouble with their 7.3l flexplate?

My Dad’s 1997 is due for its 4th flexplate.

I bought a motorcraft one this time. The last couple were ATP or pioneer.

Maybe it’s time to add the 6.7l starter to the mix.

I've unbolted and moved a flexplate over a hole on a Ford 300 6 in a forklift before to get it off a dead spot.
Didn't seem to matter how it was shut off, it would almost always end up with the flexplate at the same spot.

Top Back Refresh