What's new

60x60 Steel Shop

Ended up taking all the wood I put up back down, bought a planer, and have my center wall done sans 50% of the furring strips. Only 140’ to go! :homer:

422232AD-2EED-4B2B-97F5-F757124DE29C.jpeg

I would have had a hard time walking away from the 30x110... I have been blessed to always have access to my dad’s shop when I needed it but it was never mine. First world problems... I told my wife that a shop was one of my requirements on our first date.

I remember pulling a 4 cyl Jeep engine in our apartment complex parking lot in college. Thankfully the apt manager was a patient lady.

yep.. i remember painting my drivers door and pulling the trans in the parking lot of the army barracks....

i have a large 3 car garage...and a 30x45 shop.....that is too small...

yep.. i remember painting my drivers door and pulling the trans in the parking lot of the army barracks....

i have a large 3 car garage...and a 30x45 shop.....that is too small...

I love the avatar with the bent frame

Im trying to remember back to that thread, did they ever treat you right?

GM did not....my insurace had no issues though...and since the entire frame was replaced they did not tag the vehicle as having frame damage. my wife put another 20k miles on it.

sorry bout the hijack OP.......and btw nice scrambler

Last edited:
The wife wanted to redo the house garage so I’ve been working on that.

50CCC687-232A-4AAC-96E3-C56691F0A621.jpeg

Can you take a couple close up pics of how you did the trim around the roll up door opening?

Can you take a couple close up pics of how you did the trim around the roll up door opening?

Sure. I’ll take some tonight when I get home. I basically took the straightest boards I had and butted them up flush to door frame and trimmed out the top to fit around the roll up door brackets.

Sure. I’ll take some tonight when I get home. I basically took the straightest boards I had and butted them up flush to door frame and trimmed out the top to fit around the roll up door brackets.

I'm more interested in the metal trim around the door opening and tracks. I've installed plenty of roofing/siding but only for outbuildings, never something that was expected to be fully weather tight.

I'm more interested in the metal trim around the door opening and tracks. I've installed plenty of roofing/siding but only for outbuildings, never something that was expected to be fully weather tight.

10-4. I’ll take some tonight. My building kit came with all the trim. The top and sides of the doorframe steel are covered with white “c” channel that screws to the steel on the inside. A piece of j channel is slid between the outer metal panel and the inner “c” and then all 3 pieces are screwed to the inner steel. J channel is sandwiched bn white “c” and the outer panel this hiding the trimmed edge of the outer panel. The same for the header except that piece of j channel is sloped to allow water run off. The instructions called for the outer panels to be slit 1” horizontally to allow the header j channel to extended past the door frame 1” on each side of the door. It was then caulked. Pics will make more sense.

Missed this thread the first time around. Digging the interior...both the metal and the pine. When I move in to my new place, finishing the interior walls is on the list (currently just sheets of EPO foam, which I'm pretty sure is a fire hazard). I was leaning toward metal, but I may have to see if I can find someone milling around here. Or maybe it's an excuse to buy the sawmill I've been wanting...

I originally didn’t want to plane my boards but the wood got wet before I could get it bucked up and the sawdust molded. Thought about getting a router but I decided to go the lazy route and just put strips up over the joints. Sawmill would be awesome! I have found myself looking at them but I don’t need anything else to take up my time. Plus I’ve got two buddies within 30 min of the house who have them.

I originally didn’t want to plane my boards but the wood got wet before I could get it bucked up and the sawdust molded. Thought about getting a router but I decided to go the lazy route and just put strips up over the joints. Sawmill would be awesome! I have found myself looking at them but I don’t need anything else to take up my time. Plus I’ve got two buddies within 30 min of the house who have them.

New Place has a huge old pole barn that would be perfect for a mill....and plenty of room to store cut lumber to dry.
pb.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	pb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	446.3 KB ID:	124392

Where in SC are you? Where'd you buy your tin?

Last edited:
Very nice, one comment though

PUT SOME HANDRAILS ON THOSE STAIRS BEFORE SOMEONE ENDS UP INHERITING YOUR NEW SHOP!😁

New Place has a huge old pole barn that would be perfect for a mill....and plenty of room to store cut lumber to dry.
filedata/fetch?id=124392&d=1599402684

Where in SC are you? Where'd you buy your tin?

That barn is perfect for a sawmill. We live between Edgefield and Modoc (literally the middle of nowhere) close to Clark’s Hill Lake. The building kit came from Peak Steel but it is simply a rebranded Nucor building. Interior panels came from Armour Metals in Augusta, GA.

Very nice, one comment though

PUT SOME HANDRAILS ON THOSE STAIRS BEFORE SOMEONE ENDS UP INHERITING YOUR NEW SHOP!😁

I know it... have intentions of doing so just haven’t gotten around to it.

Not much progress lately due to work and other projects but I did manage to finally find something I have been looking for for quite a while. All original one piece baked glass Good Gulf globe for my gas pump.

52AD37EB-E00B-4631-A39D-8AD58C0A01C7.jpeg

I was contemplating milling wood for the barn walls, but I thought it'd be way too dark. You may have changed my mind.

I was contemplating milling wood for the barn walls, but I thought it'd be way too dark. You may have changed my mind.

I originally did not plan to plane my boards but I’m glad I did now. It cut down on the saw dust left over from the saw mill plus the rougher the board the more likely dust, dirt, and dog hair tumbleweeds (I see you have a GSD so you know what I’m talking about) is to catch in the boards. It was a ton of work but I’m glad I did it now.

I originally did not plan to plane my boards but I’m glad I did now. It cut down on the saw dust left over from the saw mill plus the rougher the board the more likely dust, dirt, and dog hair tumbleweeds (I see you have a GSD so you know what I’m talking about) is to catch in the boards. It was a ton of work but I’m glad I did it now.

She's a Malligator, but agreed.

I have the mill and plenty of white oak... 100% agreed with the idea of catching dirt, though... that's one of the reasons I don't like particle board.

Top Back Refresh