What's new

6.5 Grendel AR15 bolt failure

animator

Member Number
Loc
DFW
First time I’ve had a bolt failure in an AR15. I know bolt failure is not that unrare in a 6.5g AR.

This one had about 1300 rounds of almost entirely hand-loads through it. I noticed a significant impact shift, and heard something rattling around in the magazine, and that broken piece dumped out.

Guess I’ll be ordering a new one and maybe one for a spare to keep on hand for the future.

Attachments

• 6AAF6FD8-ADA4-439E-A5BB-C6AE4FA759C0.jpeg
    6AAF6FD8-ADA4-439E-A5BB-C6AE4FA759C0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 65
First time I’ve had a bolt failure in an AR15. I know bolt failure is not that unrare in a 6.5g AR.

This one had about 1300 rounds of almost entirely hand-loads through it. I noticed a significant impact shift, and heard something rattling around in the magazine, and that broken piece dumped out.

Guess I’ll be ordering a new one and maybe one for a spare to keep on hand for the future.
I keep a spare in my range pack for my 6ARC, same bolt, same potential issue. I consider it a wear item. JP bolts are considered top quality from what I've read.

So whats the general consensus for the cause if its not an uncommon failure? Too much bang for the ar15 sized bolt? I have run an ar10 6.5cm without issue for the last bunch of years with >5k rounds on it so Im assuming it has to be the smaller bolt for a similar output caliber.

So whats the general consensus for the cause if its not an uncommon failure? Too much bang for the ar15 sized bolt? I have run an ar10 6.5cm without issue for the last bunch of years with >5k rounds on it so Im assuming it has to be the smaller bolt for a similar output caliber.

It’s not so much the caliber, but the case size. The bolt is pretty thin, and when you remove one side of supporting material for the extractor, you get a weak point. The lugs on either side of the extractor are the weakest, and lend themselves to failure in my opinion.

My loads are pretty tame (mid 2400s) so it’s not like I’m hotroding it the way some do.

Makes sense. I havent played with any of the larger case sizes for sholdered case calibers

Interesting. I have a PSA 6.5 grendel that's around 1500 rounds down range. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't order up a few spares?

What make on the bolt?
My 6.5 grendels run odin works bags.
Would probably be a good idea to have a spare or two.

What make on the bolt?
My 6.5 grendels run odin works bags.
Would probably be a good idea to have a spare or two.

It’s either an Odin or a Faxon. I’ve got a Faxon barrel and Odin bolt carrier, and don’t remember which one I got the actual bolt from.

Youd think you could fatten up the wall thickness and make the lugs a little more low profile.

458S bolt has the same thin areas but 20k psi less bang on it.
Yeah, 6ARC is limited to 52kpsi, but of course there are guys out there pushing it past spec. I'm completely happy with the 2589fps I'm getting with Berger 105's. At 1k it has the same drop as my 147 6.5CM loads, those little 6mm bullets are damn efficient.

The CMMG Mutant in 7.62x39 uses an AR10 bolt/carrier to make up for this.

$99 for a new bolt from Odin works, or $149 for the entire BCG.
That's kind of annoying.

You don't really need all those lugs do you? :flipoff2:

I got a maxim bolt for mine, $75 - Complete 6.5 Grendel Bolt

They came recommended well on the forums. Website is 10 years out of date but they shipped same day I ordered

1656772617391.png

Ouch

I've seen some AR bolts got the extractor-opposite lug cut back to even out the bolt loading so the ones next to the extractor don't want to pop off as often

they still doing that?

If they are, I can’t easily tell just by looking at it. They all seem to be the same. Haven’t actually measured the lugs.

New bolt is from Odin.

Attachments

• D2BC9DFE-7BD2-4E31-96E7-F84D21009F02.jpeg
    D2BC9DFE-7BD2-4E31-96E7-F84D21009F02.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 80C64A8F-3C59-410A-A2B4-23A248159AC1.jpeg
    80C64A8F-3C59-410A-A2B4-23A248159AC1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Top Back Refresh