Mudslinger99

Ol' School member
Member Number
Loc
Here
This 59-Year-Old Army BCT Grad Is About to Be the New Guy in His Son’s Unit

svg%3E
mil%20Staff%20Sgt.%20Monte%20Gould%201200x800.jpg
Staff Sgt. Monte Gould, 59, walks down the range during training. He recently graduated Basic Combat Training with 1st Battalion, 34th Infantry Regiment. (Rebekah O'Donnell/U.S. Army)12 Sep 2020Military.com | By Hope Hodge Seck and Bing XiaoAt 59, Staff Sgt. Monte Gould is the oldest-ever graduate of the Army's current Basic Combat Training Course, finishing Aug. 27 in the top 10% of his class. Now, a decade or two older than retirement age for most career soldiers, he's starting a new journey -- with plans to join his son, Spc. Jarrod Gould, in the 405th Civil Affairs Battalion's Las Vegas detachment.

In an Army news release, Staff Sgt. Gould spoke about the challenge of making it through the rigorous BCT, the Army's entry-level training course. A veteran of the Marine Corps and Army National Guard, Gould went through boot camp in 1978 -- more than four decades earlier.

The BCT experience, Gould said, was "completely different."

"One, I was in the Marines, and this is the Army. And two, it is 43 years later," he said in a released interview. "The context is this. It'd be like taking a guy that went through Marine Corps boot camp in 1944 and putting him back in boot camp in 1986."

Though much older than his fellow trainees, Gould said in the interview that he didn't indulge in self-pity.

"After the first two weeks (here) I said to myself, 'This isn't going to be hard,'" he recalled. "And anytime it did get a little bit hard, I just said, 'Dude, what are you whining about? You've been through way worse than this.'"

BCT was "absolutely not" harder than his first entry-level training cycle as a Marine recruit, he said.

However, "I couldn't physically do now what I did then."

He'd left the Marine Corps to work in civilian law enforcement, then enlisted in the Army National Guard in the early 2000s as an infantryman, according to the release. After serving until 2009, he once again hung up his uniform. He came back this year, according to the release, because he's two years shy of earning a military retirement pension.

But "I'll stay as long as they have me," Gould said.

He did have praise for the 10-week BCT, which he went through at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, with 1st Battalion, 34th Infantry Regiment. He said the physical training was better-organized and designed to avoid stress injuries.

It was "better planned, better choreographed, better executed in that it wasn't just 'PT until you die' kind of thing," said Gould. "You didn't PT until exhaustion. You PT'd with a purpose, and you physically trained to the point where your body developed and your muscles had time to heal."

When drill sergeants administered corrective PT, they didn't work recruits until muscle failure, like drill instructors did in the Marine Corps in the 1970s, he added in the release. Still, that didn't stop his knees from swelling up and sending him to sick call multiple times over the course of training.

"But the amount of squats that we do consistently and constantly was really rough on my joints. And it was a matter of being rough on it initially and my body getting used to it," he said.

He was also satisfied with the better PT uniforms.

"When I was in the Marine Corps, we ran in boots and utility pants and T-shirts," Gould said. "We weren't authorized tennis shoes."

Despite Gould's 18 years of military experience, he said he was able to connect with his fellow recruits.

"I think a lot of the kids were kind of awestruck or gobsmacked that I was here doing this because to them -- I mean when I was 17, a 59-year-old man, that's an old man," he said. "But I think the kids had that as an influence, and they're like, 'Oh my God, this guy's 59,' and then I'm doing the PT and doing everything with them -- you know, doing the road marches, doing everything they're doing."

For the record, according to the release, Gould is not the oldest-ever graduate of BCT. A 68-year-old completed an earlier version of the course in 1999.

I'll forward this to my buddy, he's probably 58, and will need to buy some piss, but he went in to the navy at 25, from oil rigs in the gulf, when the drill instructors were kicking trash cans the high school kids were freaked out, he's like "what'd the trashcan do to you? ":laughing:

Sweet, old dude gets to go the best summer camp ever for a couple of years so we can pay his pension for the rest of his life. :flipoff2:

Years are years. If that's part of the deal for signing, I've got no problem with it.

Rock on SSG. When I went through PLDC (now WLC) the cycle before me had a 55-56 year old SGT who served in Germany during the Vietnam era and wanted to come back in.

Sweet, old dude gets to go the best summer camp ever for a couple of years so we can pay his pension for the rest of his life. :flipoff2:

plans to join his son, Spc. Jarrod Gould, in the 405th Civil Affairs Battalion's Las Vegas detachment.

That's where the Army hones its Urban Warfare soldiers. Navigating obstacles courses of strippers, the discipline of not hitting on 16, and the endurance to properly read the flop after a 22 hour session.

Ultimate Warriors.

plans to join his son, Spc. Jarrod Gould, in the 405th Civil Affairs Battalion's Las Vegas detachment.

That's where the Army hones its Urban Warfare soldiers. Navigating obstacles courses of strippers, the discipline of not hitting on 16, and the endurance to properly read the flop after a 22 hour session.

Ultimate Warriors.

Okay, hold up. If this is the same guy, he's got a solid resume. If you take 10 years out of the military and come back in, you have to redo boot camp.

Check this out:

Same guy? This is Monte Gould, reenlisted SSgt in the US Army.

Staff-Sgt.-Monte-Gould.jpg

This is Monte Gould, President and CEO of IMTT (International Mobile Training Team)

Same guy? It's certainly not a common name and the background and time frame fit.

https://imtt.net/index.html

monte_09.jpg

They haven't published a lot in his storyline, and if he's the same guy, I can see why. This is from his company website, so it may be a bit hyped or embellished a bit, but it looks like the guy has certainly got some applicable skills and abilities that would make the military want to pick him up again.

"He is a former (honorably retired) State of California Peace officer (27 ½ years of service) and SWAT (HRT) member (22 ½ years), former US Marine, and US Army Special Operations Forces (24 years of service) active and reserve SNCO. His last SWAT assignment was as an Assault Team leader and Master SWAT state instructor. He has participated in multiple combat, foreign & domestic and counter-narcotic missions; combat operations with US, Dutch and French Special Forces including the elite French “Commandos Hubert”. Further working as a contractor in High-risk protection teams with heads of state and clients throughout the world. Monte has attended numerous Civilian Law Enforcement, Army, Marine and Navy special operations related schools, and extraordinary training. He is a certified Firearms Instructor, holding numerous NRA, FBI, State of California and manufacture certification relative to weapons instruction and Executive protection. Throughout his career he has attended over 130 different schools, classes and advanced instructor trainings. Monte is also a certified “SPEAR” Law Enforcement / military instructor. He possesses specialized knowledge of Hostage rescue in fortified locations / heavily reinforced target locations, urban operations and CQB. Membership ID numbers; NTOA # 995 & SFA # A-3863"

https://imtt.net/staff.html

It says "Special Operations Forces, which I'm guessing means he wasn't in Special Forces, but in Special Operations, which includes Rangers, and other groups who support Special Forces. Still, it looks like a solid resume.

__

Last edited:
Okay, hold up. If this is the same guy, he's got a solid resume. If you take 10 years out of the military and come back in, you have to redo boot camp.

Check this out:

Same guy? This is Monte Gould, reenlisted SSgt in the US Army.

Staff-Sgt.-Monte-Gould.jpg

This is Monte Gould, President and CEO of IMTT (International Mobile Training Team)

Same guy? It's certainly not a common name and the background and time frame fit.

https://imtt.net/index.html

monte_09.jpg

They haven't published a lot in his storyline, and if he's the same guy, I can see why. This is from his company website, so it may be a bit hyped or embellished a bit, but it looks like the guy has certainly got some applicable skills and abilities that would make the military want to pick him up again.

"He is a former (honorably retired) State of California Peace officer (27 ½ years of service) and SWAT (HRT) member (22 ½ years), former US Marine, and US Army Special Operations Forces (24 years of service) active and reserve SNCO. His last SWAT assignment was as an Assault Team leader and Master SWAT state instructor. He has participated in multiple combat, foreign & domestic and counter-narcotic missions; combat operations with US, Dutch and French Special Forces including the elite French “Commandos Hubert”. Further working as a contractor in High-risk protection teams with heads of state and clients throughout the world. Monte has attended numerous Civilian Law Enforcement, Army, Marine and Navy special operations related schools, and extraordinary training. He is a certified Firearms Instructor, holding numerous NRA, FBI, State of California and manufacture certification relative to weapons instruction and Executive protection. Throughout his career he has attended over 130 different schools, classes and advanced instructor trainings. Monte is also a certified “SPEAR” Law Enforcement / military instructor. He possesses specialized knowledge of Hostage rescue in fortified locations / heavily reinforced target locations, urban operations and CQB. Membership ID numbers; NTOA # 995 & SFA # A-3863"

https://imtt.net/staff.html

It says "Special Operations Forces, which I'm guessing means he wasn't in Special Forces, but in Special Operations, which includes Rangers, and other groups who support Special Forces. Still, it looks like a solid resume.

__

Well Done! The Guy is a a Real Badass and has Earned his spot on more than One occasion.

​​:usa:

Top Back Refresh