What's new

5-Point Harnesses - What to Get?

Ordered a pair of the Simpson D3 harnesses:

I talked to someone at Simpson and they are making them with a reverse pull on the lap belt, as they don't normally come like that. I let them know that all the product images on their web page are wrong, which they apparently are aware of, but FYI if you go to the above link. Apparently they do not come with pockets on the shoulder straps - which I expressed my extreme disappointment with and they're going to see if they can add them when they're made:smokin: Went with 2" lap, 2" shoulder, padding, bolt-in...

PRP was the definite runner up... Some of the other brands like Hooker or Teamtech look nice as well but damn do their web pages and product images suck, so didn't look at them too closely. Same with Crow... Schroth's look nice, and I dig the dual anti sub nut belt but $1,300 or so for a pair of those seems a bit high for this project
mother f*%$er no pockets, i was totaly wanting a set now why bother

mother f*%$er no pockets, i was totaly wanting a set now why bother

Heard back from them today - hard no on the pockets - don't do them any more according to the sales rep who checked for me. Would be a cool spot to keep phone, multitool, etc. - or back when I smoked it would have been a perfect spot for cigs and a lighter. Gotta go custom if you want a pocket I guess...

Although since they make that stuff in house, I can't imaging if you said you wanted to pay to have pockets made and sewn on that you couldn't get them to do it. Sometimes it's the little things:grinpimp:

Step3: pull up on the sub belt and get it as tight as you can

I never really considered that since there is not a lot of room there - but damn if that wouldn't be nice to pull the anti-sub belt tight each time. Mine is a bitch to adjust... Wish I would have seen that before I ordered, although I may just call in the morning and see if that's something I can add to the order.

Glad I started this thread - got me to look up more options so I wasn't asking a blind question, and gleaned some good info out of it. Reverse pull on the laps seems like it should be standard - although I never thought of it before it was mentioned here. Hopefully this is a good searchable resource for people buying harnesses in the future:smokin:

I know one of the big items on adjusting belts that I have run into is the slots in the seat bind up on the belts, making it hard to work with them.

Bummer on the pockets, hate when companies so pics of stuff and then of no we don't do that anymore.

Good man! :beer:

Remember that loooong thread on the pros/cons of suspension seats at the old site?:laughing::eek:

Very eye-opening/informative thread for me.

I have a Mastercraft seat in my Bronco; but I had a NASCAR seat in my road racing Supra.

No suspension seat for me in racing!
Give me the cliffs on the seat issue please? I'm caging my shop truck this winter so I can enter faster classes in open road races, but I also dd this truck. I was planning on a pair of nice suspension seats for comfort while in dd mode. :confused:

i guess i am looking for a belt that is easy to adjust , mine are a complete pain in the ass now. i do like the 3 inch with the pads. but dam the adjustment parts sucks. so that lead me to the previous post.

My only input is this....
Twist locks over lever as it seems easier to disentangle the octopus when you can hold the twist lock open and pull away from ones self.
All I got.
like a cam lock? Couldnt pay me to trust my life to those. I have had them fail to unlock just casually getting out. Give me the simple latch lever all day. I have mine oriented so they can be pulled towards the outside from a person outside.

Fair nuff...
I've only had the old school lever ones, they never jammed up tho.
That would make me change my vote.

i guess i am looking for a belt that is easy to adjust , mine are a complete pain in the ass now. i do like the 3 inch with the pads. but dam the adjustment parts sucks. so that lead me to the previous post.

The easiest adjusting harness is going to be pull down shoulder straps (which most are) and pull up belts,

The easiest adjusting harness is going to be pull down shoulder straps (which most are) and pull up belts,

I've got ratchet belts and they're easier to adjust than pull up.

Also, Duck bills are easier than pull ups in my experience.

duckbill-buck-close-bg3.jpg

Google :)

so this ratchet adjuster? is it actully a 1/4 drive ratchet that you carry with you or is it built into the belt buckel?

ok ok ok google is my friend i get it. lol but that ratchet does it fall off or there permanently? because that vid makes it look like it would fall off.

so any of them with the long pull down work good?

They're all going to work. It's more about how easy is it for you to do while seated in the seat.

Pulling something up and over your lap would be much easier than down, especially if you have cage bars, doors, panels, right next to the seat.

If you have lots of room, it's probably not as big of a deal.

That duck bill option (that I never knew existed) looks like you're starting out already over your lap to adjust them. That could also be an option if space is tight.

The ratchet looks pretty cool. I've never really looked at them. I thought it would be operated more like a ratchet strap.

good am

has anyone tried these

i like how shoulder and lap are sewed together and according to Bill Vista they adjust super easy.

These look super similar to the DragonFire ones I have. I don't think 3" is necessary for a trail rig.

I bought thier adult and mini version, then added the sub belt. They were a lot less than that irrc. We all are using them my wife and I plus 4, 5, and 10 year olds. They're pretty comfy.

I absolutely love my Crows, 2" shoulder with pads/3" lap, Duh, Dave, Norman and anyone else whos ridden in the blue buggy agree. Only complaint is with my PRP Comps adjustment of the lap is a pain, new buggy will get ratcheting laps. I'll see Duh a few pics so he can show you at Dave's party.

good am

has anyone tried these

i like how shoulder and lap are sewed together and according to Bill Vista they adjust super easy.
I tried a set and didn’t like them. To bulky at the pads.

Been using and liking the G-Force cam lock harnesses that have the 2” shoulder straps 2” crotch strap and 3” everything else.

I have Impacts in my crawler and race car. No complaints.

good am

has anyone tried these

Link doesn't really work but the description sounds like my PRP's. My laps are sewn to the shoulders and have sewn in pads like these which they didn't make when I bought mine. I actually bought PRP 4.3's and added a 5th point for $20. I went this way cause IMHO they are more comfortable for me, there's no real choice on wearing shoulders and comfortable. Super easy to get in and out of and easy to adjust.

so the proarmor may be an older style, saw them on bill vista, and i was like that sounds easy. i have no idea if i will like the two sewed together but it sounds like it will be easier. and i am getting in and out alot. so that would be legit. ty for the link

Top Back Refresh