What's new

5 gallon bucket Oil pump

Cheapzuk

Member Number
Looking for a way to transfer from 5 gallon bucket of 15w40 into the engine for oil changes.
Sick of lifting 5 gallon buckets into awkward spots on equipment, or transferring them into 1 gallon jugs/ using funnels.
Is there a decent pump to do this? Tractor supply/ northern/ Amazon sell a lever pump, but there rated around 3 oz a stroke which seems pretty slow when your doing 3-5 gallon changes.

Either buy drums or totes and get an air pump or use gallon jugs.

I use jugs, case of 5w40 synethtic is $65. Few of my things take 8-10 gallons but most are only 1-3.

I got one that run on Makita to transfer oil into my tractor. Works well enough, bought a cheap used garden hose to stick in the bucket and fill tank on the tractor.
Would need to use it just for clean oil and keep it capped when stored.

Or I guess flush a gallon or two of clean oil, but at that point not really worth it.

I flush the lines on my truck pumps between product, but 4-5 gallons isn't much when pumping several hundred.

I use a cordless drill motor powered D60 tank fuel pump.

Would need to use it just for clean oil and keep it capped when stored.

Or I guess flush a gallon or two of clean oil, but at that point not really worth it.

I flush the lines on my truck pumps between product, but 4-5 gallons isn't much when pumping several hundred.
you have 2 set of hoses, clean and dirty. But the amount of oil in the unit isn't a ton and you can run them dry for a few seconds to pump the impeller mostly clean. Unless your oil is contamined it's prob no diff then whats left in the oil pan.

you have 2 set of hoses, clean and dirty. But the amount of oil in the unit isn't a ton and you can run them dry for a few seconds to pump the impeller mostly clean. Unless your oil is contamined it's prob no diff then whats left in the oil pan.
I use my M18 for transferring waste oil, antifreeze, pumping water, etc.

The pails are often same $$ as jugs, or slightly cheaper. Least when I've priced them.
Could do 2.5 glon pit packs, they have a spout like a box o wine.

A RAM pump on a drum withand Lincoln pistol grip dispenser/meter is nice though.

The drill pump is the quick easy answer for me.
Usually the 5 gallon pail is cheaper at tractor supply or I buy them on sale at auto parts store.

got any oil pumps from engine rebuilds sitting around? tack weld a drive shaft on there, dunk it in the bucket and spin it with a cordless drill
use EMT for the discharge tube up through the bucket lid and it'll give you something to hang onto to keep it from spinning
1/2 EMT is the same size as 1/2" copper pipe, so you can solder an elbow on there to get a better handle/angle/whatever, then 5/8" tubing slips over perfectly

I've had this sort of thing the last 12 years. It lives on my bulk 80w90 pail.

Powerbuilt 648772 Level Bucket Pump Amazon.ca

Edit: my cummins oil changes are with the pail alone, and a decent funnel. Setup a platform to stand on for the truck height, to have reasonable ergonomics doing it.

Edit: my cummins oil changes are with the pail alone, and a decent funnel. Setup a platform to stand on for the truck height, to have reasonable ergonomics doing it.
I just find myself pouring 5 gallon buckets of oil in equipment far too often. Maybe I should upgrade

it says 4oz per stroke. Doesn’t it take forever to pump in a gallon of oil? Or does it take more than 4oz in real life?

it says 4oz per stroke. Doesn’t it take forever to pump in a gallon of oil? Or does it take more than 4oz in real life?

I havent measured the volume per stroke. Seems like a diff or tcase fills fast enough. Clean and controlled delivery.

I've been using a drill powered fluid pump. Works for everything I've tried so far. Gear oil, engine oil, atf, diesel, etc.

i have same pump in gear oil also. works well.....

I just find myself pouring 5 gallon buckets of oil in equipment far too often. Maybe I should upgrade

My lever bucket pump takes a while, but when I'm sitting there pumping I think about how I could be holding a 5 gallon pail waiting for the funnel to drain down enough for another glug

They made old ones that you'd pour the oil into the tank and it pumped either by lever or rotary. Held maybe 3 or 4 gallons I'd guess. Maybe 5?

Anyone see those new?

Issue i have with the bucket pump is it's not remotely sealed so makes a big mess if it's close to full. It's slightly better than just having an open pail.
Also not easy to carry, the pail handle does work well with the pump in the way.

They made old ones that you'd pour the oil into the tank and it pumped either by lever or rotary. Held maybe 3 or 4 gallons I'd guess. Maybe 5?

Anyone see those new?

Issue i have with the bucket pump is it's not remotely sealed so makes a big mess if it's close to full. It's slightly better than just having an open pail.
Also not easy to carry, the pail handle does work well with the pump in the way.
We only keep the pails 1/2 way full when using those pumps.

5 gallon buckets suck to pour from. I save the 2.5 gallon jugs and pour the 5 gallon bucket to those. I'll elevate and set the bucket on it's side and roll it to control the pour into the 2.5
I put those hand pumps on all 5 gallon buckets with gear lube and ATF and they are great to fill a diff or T-case it, it would suck to pump a 5 gallon bucket of oil into an engine with one of those hand pumps, you may as well get on the elbow replacement list.

IMG_1064.jpeg

I have one of these and have been happy with it for gear oil. Not as fancy as the electric pumps and doesn’t really seal the lid, but pumps easy.

5 gallon buckets suck to pour from. I save the 2.5 gallon jugs and pour the 5 gallon bucket to those. I'll elevate and set the bucket on it's side and roll it to control the pour into the 2.5
I'm always surprised at how many people don't know that you put the spout on the top of the bucket when you're pouring, not the bottom

I do get that you're complaining about the "holding up 50lbs of bucket waiting on a slow ass funnel/fillerneck" and not the glugging

I put those hand pumps on all 5 gallon buckets with gear lube and ATF and they are great to fill a diff or T-case it, it would suck to pump a 5 gallon bucket of oil into an engine with one of those hand pumps, you may as well get on the elbow replacement list.
I get 3x gallon cases for engine oil.

It's like 0.10 a gallon more than pails, sometimes cheaper even so not worth lugging it up to an engine and overflowing the funnel.
Last 5w40 I bought was $62 a case

Plus easier to stash gallon jugs in cabs, under hoods, trunks, etc vs pails.

Top Back Refresh