What's new

4Runner Rear Gas Tank Ideas

I had a 2 door S10 blazer tank behind the rear axle of my old S10 pickup. The factory tank is along the frame like a Toyota. It worked great. You can get new steel ones on rockauto for cheap.

I built a skid plate of 3/16 A36, and tapped it all the time, never had any issues.

I plan to use a TJ tank on my JK to do the same. Downside is the TJ tanks are plastic, so the don't rust, so there aren't cheap replacement ones. Upside is it uses more OEM Jeep stuff, so I can make it look OEM enough to not draw attention.

Is a TJ tank going to fit in the back of a JK? I guess the JK frame is probably wider.

I haven't done shit with this idea. I'm tired of the rear leaf springs in the 4runner, but I'm lacking motivation to do anything about it. Starting to wonder if putting my efforts into something different would be a better use of my time.

I have looked at the Ford tank.
I removed the spare cable lift crossmember to gain room, but the LSPV in the brake system hogs a ton of space inside the frame behind the axle. Its currently connected in the max load position and my get eliminated later, if the fuel tank scenario comes to fruition.
I'm open to trying the S10 Blazer tank turned sideways to get tucked higher.

Years ago, I saw a fuel filler that had one gas cap, but a Y underneath to allow choosing between two fuels tanks. I felt like that would be better than trying to add a second filler location, but plumbing could be an issue.
Look into an lspv delete by adding a manual valve. Wilwood has them available for around $70. Summit racing has some house ones as well.

I'm late to the game, but for the next guys sirch:flipoff2:

Shitty pic,

I ended up using a long bed tank and moved the crossmember back.
I set the willwood prop. Valve over the bumpstop bracket.

3rd pic is the rear offset for shock/tank mount, note the fornt hole in frame was factory.

20200319_182544.jpg
20221026_085857.jpg

20221026_085904.jpg

Is a TJ tank going to fit in the back of a JK? I guess the JK frame is probably wider.

I haven't done shit with this idea. I'm tired of the rear leaf springs in the 4runner, but I'm lacking motivation to do anything about it. Starting to wonder if putting my efforts into something different would be a better use of my time.
People have done the TJ tank in the JK, so I know it's doable. I'll see how high I can tuck it up there.

Can you just make your leaf springs work better? Links are sexy, but you can probably get 80% of the performance for 20% of the effort/cost with decent leafs and shocks.

People have done the TJ tank in the JK, so I know it's doable. I'll see how high I can tuck it up there.

Can you just make your leaf springs work better? Links are sexy, but you can probably get 80% of the performance for 20% of the effort/cost with decent leafs and shocks.
Nice!

Dunno. I can't seem to come up with anything that is easy and spending a ton of money on leafs seems dumb. A 1" block would be nice, but I wouldn't be able to run my e-brake anymore. I already have extended shackles on it, but I could go even longer I guess. Any sort of fabrication of mounts or 63" chevys just seems like a waste of time. Might as well just link it and be done. Just need to get motivated.

I originally had an F150 tank in my 86 4runner and after having issues with the gasket, I found a early pathfinder tank fits between the rails and only hung down a couple of inches further.

So are you guys running a dual tank with the ford selector switch or just replacing the oe toyota tank? Are you running a toyota fuel pump or the frame mounted ford style pump? I've been looking for more fuel options other than a 5 gallon gas can. I thought about doing something that just gravity feeds to the oe tank.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh