What's new

4Runner common issues?

Baconator

Member Number
We are looking for a new SUV for my wife, she has decided that she likes the 4Runner, and it seems like it fits our needs.
We've been looking at 2012-2018's with under 75k miles.
I am wondering if there are common issues with these? I tend to work on all of our stuff, is there anything stupid on these that has to go to the dealer for?

Had a ‘17 trd pro in the shop 5+ times for weeks each time for evap issues. They ended up finding something cracked and it’s been good since, but it was frustrating.

I have a 2012. Disagree with the above on towing. It's not a tow vehicle by any means, but up to 5k pounds or so it's good.

Not to the Runner, but I am looking at new Tacomas and it seems Toyota is really behind as far as tech goes in the cab. If I didn't like the looks so much, Id be with looking at other brands.

Not to the Runner, but I am looking at new Tacomas and it seems Toyota is really behind as far as tech goes in the cab. If I didn't like the looks so much, Id be with looking at other brands.

This is my only issue with them, they are pretty basic inside. We are replacing a Yukon Denali and it is way behind that, however that POS has more issues than I can even count.

They're pretty bulletproof. That 4.0 is a good engine. They get crappy fuel mileage for a modern vehicle, and don't plan on towing anything more than a kayak. Oh, and they're pricey to buy.

It wont tow anything, but will make trips up into the mountains up to ~12k ft, I dont need to pull the hills at 80, but would be nice to be capable of that.

with under 75k miles.

I imagine this could be a problem. Toyota people tend to drive the crap out of them.

with under 75k miles.

I imagine this could be a problem. Toyota people tend to drive the crap out of them.

Ive found quite a few 2013-2014's with 40-70k miles, owners think theyre worth gold though

This is my only issue with them, they are pretty basic inside. We are replacing a Yukon Denali and it is way behind that, however that POS has more issues than I can even count.

Yeah, the Toyota interiors pale in comparison to even a fairly entry level Tahoe/Yukon. We have a Denali too.

That's true of Japanese brands in general. They're not big on all the amenities like American brands are.

Wife is on her 2nd 5th gen. She had a '15 SR5 w/ 120k(got hit while parked & totalled) & now '16 Trail w/ 30k. Only thing I've done is basic maintenance. Avg 17-18mpg. Audio/nav is archaic & sucks, my only complaint.

Resized_20200213_124529.jpeg

Resized_20200213_124520.jpeg

IMG_20200926_153627_01.jpg

The 4.0 will start having head gasket issues when it gets 150-200k on it. I've done probably 20-25 4.0 head jobs in the past couple years, all with close to 200k. They just seem to let go fast like.

I forget when they went to 5th gen, but the 4th gen the front calipers would freeze up. I think the fix was to swap to 5th gen brake parts.

Probably the only problem is the amount of pussy you're gonna attract with it is gonna skyrocket. It's a common problem with all Toyotas. But it's just something you learn to live with.

It's a Toyota thing.....you jeep fags wouldn't understand:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Jeep fags will lick the windows then tell you it doesnt taste as good as their cherokee.

if you can swing it, buy new. The cost difference is negligible.

i personally think they're underpowered, and over 6ft doesnt fit well in the back. Not somewhere I'd want to be for long. My head also hits the roof if equipped with a moonroof.

Manlets wont have an issue.

This is what I look for. The more basic the better. Less tech crap to fuck up that I can't fix.

I love SE TJ's with not even a cassette deck.

Hated my 4.0L/5AT 2nd gen Tacoma. Mostly driveability issues, steering/driveline/braking vibrations etc and awful shift logic/throttle response. The 4.0L developed piston slap around 110k miles, as if it wasn't clattery enough from the get go. Most of the issues I had carried over to the 3rd gen Tacoma so I have yet to buy another Toyota truck. I'm skeptical that the 4runner is much better but people seem to like them?? I think it's a cool rig and loved my 1st gen 4runner but that 2nd gen Tacoma ruined it for me.

:frown:

Look at what they want for the years your looking at and then what those models went for new. Its usually really close to the same number. Because of that I'd buy new knowing that in 3-5 years I could sell mine for the same price

My wife picked up a new 4Runner LTD earlier this year, under powered, not fuel efficient and missing a lot of features other new vehicles has (and hers has every option available on the Ltd’s).
Over all, we both love it.

Test drive a Gx460. The V8 goes a good ways towards solving the power issue without much of a mileage penalty. As far as “tech” it’s enough for me. Heated/ventilated seats, heated rear seat, power 3rd row, Bluetooth, nav, and traffic. I don’t care for Apple car play so don’t care its missing that. It’s extremely comfortable, quiet on the highway, rides great, and is pretty capable off-road. I just finished a 5k mile trip out west in my 177k mile unit pulling a trailer with tools, gear, a Polaris rzr, and a few mountain bikes. It has crawl, multi terrain select, and kdss suspension like a trd runner as well. Was able to run most of the popular stuff in Moab without issue. Hells gate, top of the world, poison spider, and a few other random ones. The biggest benefit to me is it has been reliable as a damn hammer. Only wrench that’s been on it for repair other than regular maintenance was a wheel bearing after developing a slight vibration after a trip through New England and northeastern Canada last year.

FB8DB914-7A43-4694-8510-ABA5F3E2A7D7.jpeg

217D476C-096D-4238-9BCF-E788F33D75BD.jpeg

B82EDA98-9AD8-4F19-8768-CCA98ED2C4F4.jpeg

We have one car seat right now. I do think it would be pushing it to have more than 2 car seats in one if that is of concern.

I upgraded my wife’s 2013 to a new head unit and added a backup camera earlier this year. Being able to use the head unit for google maps is really nice.

They're fine vehicles but just like every other Toyota product with a ladder frame they rust out quick and are beat to shit high mileage junk compared to what you can buy from a different brand for the same price. Either buy one new and sell it to some dumbass yuppie for way too much money in a few years or don't buy one at all.

2015 here. SR5 premium, Toytec BoSS loft, 285’s, sliders.

Two major complaints that I have: Entune is horrible (fortunately, my wife doesn’t care) and the 4.0 has to rev to feel like it has anything under the hood.

i think Toyota WAY under geared it. Read a number of folks jumping to 4.88’s with good success.

Look at what they want for the years your looking at and then what those models went for new. Its usually really close to the same number. Because of that I'd buy new knowing that in 3-5 years I could sell mine for the same price

I wont disagree they hold their value probably better than any other SUV out there, a comparable new one is $42-44k, ones I am looking at are 22-26k. Another thing I have to consider is registration costs, anything 0-4 years old around here is $1k+/ year to register, after 5 years old it drops significantly.

I wont disagree they hold their value probably better than any other SUV out there, a comparable new one is $42-44k, ones I am looking at are 22-26k. Another thing I have to consider is registration costs, anything 0-4 years old around here is $1k+/ year to register, after 5 years old it drops significantly.

$1k for tags??? :barf::eek::eek:

Top Back Refresh