What's new

47RE tranny

WaterH

Member Number
Loc
North Florida
I have a 12 valve on a stand in my shop. Not sure what I’m going to do with it. I’ve heard that a 47RH tranny can be bolted to it and you can run the whole set up with out computers. Apparently, the OD and lock up can be triggered with just 12 volts from a switch on the dash. I don’t like computers. So I’ve been keeping my eyes open for one. Recently a friend of mine bought a dodge with a standard tranny. It comes with a working 47RE that was removed. Does anyone know if this tranny can be used without a computer?

47re can run off a stand alone controller, they've got that decently sorted out and priced OK I've heard

47rh can be run off switches and relays, they are hard to find, so buy them when you find them

I'm not sure how much the re and rh have in common, but ib seem to remember some hybrid parts, maybe something like more common rh v8 gas parts in a more common re diesel housing

Also look for trannies in v10 trucks, same housing, and the differences are fixable

Rh would just need command for lockup and OD. 1-3 are governor shifted.
Re is the same other than 1-3 is electronic as well.

Could run an RE off switches, it'd be similar to a full manual valve body.

They are both more or less a 727 with bolted on overdrive.

I don't think the re runs off switches, I just got with my buddy that does a fair amount of 12v auto swaps, mostly putting 47s in 1st gen trucks,

we also have access to a really great tranny guy, tons of diesel swaps, diesel race trucks etc

converting a 47re to an rh is expensive and takes hard to find parts

The 47re controllers are hit and miss, but apparently these guys are good to deal with, his buddy has an older unit with some issues, but apparently the customer service is good and they're working with him for an update

Imo you need to find the right 47rh or go 5 speed and forget about it. 5 speeds are expensive, and building a dodge auto is expensive, then building it again is more expensive :laughing:

Screenshot_20231021_112039_Chrome.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg
Screenshot_20231021_111328_Chrome.jpg

Whatcha building!

Nothing right now. Just collecting parts. It might be swapped into my Bronco. I won’t be converting the RE. I’ll just keep looking for the RH.

Thanks for the info.

I forget what you've got in that bad boy, but lifted broncos are problematic for full-size diesel swaps because you run out of rear driveline pretty quick. 4bt and full size tranny is OK because you can push it forward. The guys that build 7.3 broncos and do a mild lift seem happy, but the guys that want all the torks, all the gears and all the lift have problems:laughing:

Anyways, take pics:usa:

Edit:

Since we're spending your money, do portals, problem solved:grinpimp:

I know a guy that has a 12 valve in a Bronco with a C6 like my HEMTT. Not sure how much longer the 47RH is.

Ok, I have some new questions. The truck in the first post was sold. (Not to my friend.) Now he’s looking at another truck with the 47RE tranny. He is concerned about a EMP attack. He is thinking of defeating the oil pressure shut off on the engine. I told him that he probably doesn’t want that tranny. He told me that if the 47RE loses all electric power, it goes in to 3rd gear. He also said that it can be shifted into neutral at any time. Is this true?

The other question he had was could he somehow push start the truck with any automatic. I’m thinking that is not possible. What say Irate?

As a bit of a prepper, I can't stand these emp dumbasses. It's all mental masterbation. He needs to buy a 12v with a manual trans and leave it parked at the top of a hill. Then build a Faraday cage and stuff it full of goodies, spare alternators and batteries and walkie talkies and kick start dirtbikes.

And then he needs to learn horsemanship and get a team of mules.

And figure out how to keep food cold.

But in reality they will keep the grid going forever to keep everybody fat and docile on their fucking couch receiving their "programming " until they wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered

The barge joke was a jab at pae moving to Alaska, another nice enough guy stuck in analysis paralyses over an impending emp.

Fuck emps that'll never come, learn how the bankers are fucking you now

I have a 12 valve on a stand in my shop. Not sure what I’m going to do with it. I’ve heard that a 47RH tranny can be bolted to it and you can run the whole set up with out computers. Apparently, the OD and lock up can be triggered with just 12 volts from a switch on the dash. I don’t like computers. So I’ve been keeping my eyes open for one. Recently a friend of mine bought a dodge with a standard tranny. It comes with a working 47RE that was removed. Does anyone know if this tranny can be used without a computer?

That will convert to full manual and let you run lockup and OD with a switch. I used one on my 46re, swapped in place of a ax15. Computer still thinks I have a manual.

As a bit of a prepper, I can't stand these emp dumbasses. It's all mental masterbation. He needs to buy a 12v with a manual trans and leave it parked at the top of a hill. Then build a Faraday cage and stuff it full of goodies, spare alternators and batteries and walkie talkies and kick start dirtbikes.

And then he needs to learn horsemanship and get a team of mules.

And figure out how to keep food cold.

But in reality they will keep the grid going forever to keep everybody fat and docile on their fucking couch receiving their "programming " until they wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered

The barge joke was a jab at pae moving to Alaska, another nice enough guy stuck in analysis paralyses over an impending emp.

Fuck emps that'll never come, learn how the bankers are fucking you now

Protecting from EMP is not just for a nuke. As I understand it, the military have smaller EMPs now. Ones that can be directed at a single vehicle. How long before the feds and local police have them? Maybe even gangsters. I don’t want anybody to have the ability to stop my car/truck. What if a solar flare took out everything? I don’t believe in wrecking my life now for something that may never happen, but I’m not sacrificing anything to drive my truck, so it’s easy prepping.

That will convert to full manual and let you run lockup and OD with a switch. I used one on my 46re, swapped in place of a ax15. Computer still thinks I have a manual.
I like that, thankyou.

Protecting from EMP is not just for a nuke. As I understand it, the military have smaller EMPs now. Ones that can be directed at a single vehicle. How long before the feds and local police have them? Maybe even gangsters. I don’t want anybody to have the ability to stop my car/truck. What if a solar flare took out everything? I don’t believe in wrecking my life now for something that may never happen, but I’m not sacrificing anything to drive my truck, so it’s easy prepping.

OK, but if we have to go down that path, an auto transmission is a terrible choice for a myriad of reasons. Go manual with self contained fluid and push start capability

OK, but if we have to go down that path, an auto transmission is a terrible choice for a myriad of reasons. Go manual with self contained fluid and push start capability
As I understand it, a EMP doesn’t distroy a battery or starter, just computers. Of course, the manual tranny does give you another level of reliability.

I don't think the re runs off switches, I just got with my buddy that does a fair amount of 12v auto swaps, mostly putting 47s in 1st gen trucks

That's not what I said.

I said it COULD be run off switches. It’s all shifted through solenoids.

I forget what you've got in that bad boy, but lifted broncos are problematic for full-size diesel swaps because you run out of rear driveline pretty quick.
I may be wrong but I believe 47RH is considerably longer than 47RE.

Something to watch out for if rear driveline is short to start with.

Well my friend ended up buying the truck with the extra 47RE, so I will probubly be getting it at the right price. It also came with a stock T-case. Is that going to be something I want? Are all Dodges pax side drop? Can it be clocked to a drivers?

The 47s were in 2nd gen trucks with driver side diffs, if it's a 1st gen truck it'd be a non lockup 518/618 trans with a pass side np205

If it's a 2nd gen truck it's a np241 driver side drop, decent case, there's some variations, they got a little beefier as time went on

The 47s were in 2nd gen trucks with driver side diffs, if it's a 1st gen truck it'd be a non lockup 518/618 trans with a pass side np205

If it's a 2nd gen truck it's a np241 driver side drop, decent case, there's some variations, they got a little beefier as time went on
Good info, thanks

Good info, thanks
2nd gen Ram 2500/3500s came with either NP241DLD (Dodge Light Duty) or NP241DHD (Dodge Heavy Duty). The DLD is more common from what I’ve seen.

The light duty is still decent for normal use, aside sled pulling or serious wheeling.

Easy way to tell which you have is to look for a PTO cover. PTO = DHD

a 46RE can be controlled without a computer but it requires using a full-manual valve body (every shift, up or down, is manual), and the OD and LU can be wired to toggles. You can put a p-side drop t-case on it so long as it is a 6-round pattern and the resulting position is one you'll like, otherwise the d-side is the typical drop

OK, I got the tranny.

E4EC5771-88E4-4D78-8B83-D2409CB01ADC.jpeg

I also got this torque converter.

FE2E103E-BA3C-4F91-AC10-3B6AE24A171F.jpeg

It looks like lots of electrical connections.

0FD82830-5E44-47D2-ACD4-FA6173F036CB.jpeg

I was hoping for the T-case also, but my friend decided to keep it. Any chance a Ford T-case will adapt to this?

F10763F2-C825-44F7-ABC8-2305261F16EC.jpeg

I don’t have any immediate plans to do anything with this. I might not ever do anything with it. Then again, if a deal like was in our Craigslist thread comes up for a rust free Super Duty frame and axles, who knows? The guy that sold the truck to my friend said this was a good working tranny when he pulled it to install a standard. The truck has over a 1000 lbs of torque now. So it makes me wonder if that is true.

My question, should I do anything to this right now to check if it’s good or maybe something for storage.

6949E3C2-74DB-4A3E-B6ED-BC4FAC7EDEEA.jpeg

So I got to looking at the tranny and thought the hole pattern for the T-case looks close to the Ford case. I took a quick measurement and sure enough there real close, if not perfect. I measured the nose on the Ford case and it appears to be the same as the recess on the tranny. I said what the hell and dragged one of my Bronco T-cases over to the tranny. (I collect Bronco T-cases) It bolted right up! I couldn’t believe it. Ford and Dodge working towards standardization.

663C02E7-79E1-4E03-B659-19CC6A190528.jpeg

Of course, my excitement was short lived. After pulling them apart, I found that the output shaft on the tranny is about a 1/4” smaller than the splined scocket on the Ford case.

FE768E79-01AF-4AAC-A43B-F887827E6DD2.jpeg

Does anybody know if there is a larger shaft available for the 47RE or maybe a smaller input socket for the T-case?

No idea about BW t-cases. But I knows NP (23x, 24x, 26x, and 27x models) input shafts are swappable.

47RE come with 23 spline. There are 29 spline output shafts available ($$$ blingy billet 300m). T-case behind manual trans in dodges came with 29 spline.

It can be made to work if there’s a BW t-case with either 23 or 29 spline (and with correct spline profile??) input shaft to swap in. Otherwise I’d think you’ll need to go custom.

You want to spend $100-$150 on a used NVG271 from any Ford application and then buy an input and swap them out.

You can buy a dodge NVG271 so keep your eye out but it'll probably be more expensive because they weren't made by the millions like the Superduty ones were and it will be slip yoke instead of two fixed flanges.

You want to spend $100-$150 on a used NVG271 from any Ford application and then buy an input and swap them out.

You can buy a dodge NVG271 so keep your eye out but it'll probably be more expensive because they weren't made by the millions like the Superduty ones were and it will be slip yoke instead of two fixed flanges.

Ive not found NVG271 in google. I have found NV271. According to the site, the 2007‘ to 2009’ dodge 3500 came with a 23 spline input and flange output. They have them in stock for the great low price of $2245.00

I guess I need to confirm my trans has a 23 spline output.

Edit, Does Atlas make T-cases that fit 23 spline trans?

Last edited:
Ive not found NVG271 in google. I have found NV271. According to the site, the 2007‘ to 2009’ dodge 3500 came with a 23 spline input and flange output. They have them in stock for the great low price of $2245.00
They’re likely only found in cab & chassis dodges. Won’t be easy to find used.

Might be just easier and cheaper to get a NV271 out of ford and swap $150 input shaft from RockAuto.
IMG_2194.png

I guess I need to confirm my trans has a 23 spline output.
It most likely is. Stock 23 spline output shaft can handle a lot of power just fine and in extreme cases it makes for a great “fuse”.
Edit, Does Atlas make T-cases that fit 23 spline trans?
Yes. Same spline as jeeps.

Correct me if I’m wrong, a atlas can send all the power to the front axle without the rear in gear? If so, can it do this long term without issue? My reason for asking is I might be interested in building a rear engine truck and flipping the axles. I don’t want front wheel drive most of the time, so I would need the output to the front axle (which is the rear axle) running all the time.

Top Back Refresh