What's new

47” Swampers - Breaking in and Grooving

I got my first run on the 47’s Labor Day running Dusy. It was a great trip, rainy and cold though.

We parked at Dinky Creek and Rock Creek Rd. Drove to Courtright, then to Kaiser Pass, then down 168 to Rock Creek, and then followed Rock Creek back to Dinky Creek. So 34 Miles of trail, maybe 20 miles Dirt Road and 50ish miles of pavement.

I’m pretty happy with how they performed. For a Ca trail basher I’m not sure what more you could want. They need to break in some more and they seem to have a pretty firm rubber compound.

I ran them at 4psi as I was worried about the inner bead, but I think next time I’ll run them at 1psi.

It’s like driving on portals, the diffs didn’t hit anything, and I only used my front ARB on Thompson.

Now I need to decide how I’m going groove them :smokin:

C9BAC9D0-3FDE-4CCD-993D-933D009523A3.jpeg

8D70DFC6-0022-4269-B244-E82982AB2502.jpeg

B9D992B3-D1B4-4832-BF28-B591CE971862.jpeg

B03D2E4D-8012-4EA5-97EA-A96F3D7A750A.jpeg

DBB4296B-8B02-4D3A-AA32-2C511D0B54F7.jpeg

C082A5A6-83A1-480B-831E-23E9E9F0EF3B.jpeg

They rub on everything though. They rub the front Lower Links, the Grill Hoop, Front Fenders, Rear Fenders, Coil Over Reserviors.

A1FBC292-F58F-451F-B1F3-8CB6BE3F58E6.jpeg

9E346214-F3F0-429C-ADBC-2C99D608FCD9.jpeg

My go to for the Swampers.

1339806F-CA00-4EA1-90FB-6AE2BDB8C30D.jpeg

Centers are an 8 or 10 blade full depth. Really let’s the carcass flex and form over stufff.

Big lugs I tried something different and used a 2 full depth, dive in and pop out. Makes like a nice big deep sipe and really let’s it flex but doesn’t take away any contact patch.

For yours I’d also consider doing the red. Full depth with like a 6 blade, that’s going to let the littles flex independently like fingers.

Source; I’ve grooved more tires than I could count.

My go to for the Swampers.

1339806F-CA00-4EA1-90FB-6AE2BDB8C30D.jpeg

Centers are an 8 or 10 blade full depth. Really let’s the carcass flex and form over stufff.

Big lugs I tried something different and used a 2 full depth, dive in and pop out. Makes like a nice big deep sipe and really let’s it flex but doesn’t take away any contact patch.

For yours I’d also consider doing the red. Full depth with like a 6 blade, that’s going to let the littles flex independently like fingers.

Source; I’ve grooved more tires than I could count.

That’s very similar to how I grooved my 43’s. They performed awesome in the snow.

I bought all the blades Van Alstine offers, thank you for the suggestion.

The hard part about the LTB’s is the Three Stage Lugs are drastically different in size than TSL’s, and they have a weird jog at the end of each center lug.

0F5792DC-A803-4785-89B8-D8FF1ECC60F5.jpeg

I would not recommend cutting the largest lug any, they are easy to tear off. Cut the wear bars out, V cut the center lugs and straight cut the two smaller outer lugs.

The 47s on the blem page are not "sticky" despite what some say. They are a softer, different compound then the old LTB

I would not recommend cutting the largest lug any, they are easy to tear off. Cut the wear bars out, V cut the center lugs and straight cut the two smaller outer lugs.

The 47s on the blem page are not "sticky" despite what some say. They are a softer, different compound then the old LTB

I don't know if anyone said sticky

I did not know about a softer standard compound though, how long has thay been out?

There's some confusion floating around about the ones, 47s, on the blem site, nothing directed at anyone in particular here.

They changed compound when they switched production plants overseas. That's why they were out of production for a few years before Covid.

There's some confusion floating around about the ones, 47s, on the blem site, nothing directed at anyone in particular here.

They changed compound when they switched production plants overseas. That's why they were out of production for a few years before Covid.

Are the new softer ones having issues with ripping lugs off, or is that only the stickies?

The theory with larger tires is they allow you to roll over holes or allow the tires to be over center on ledges making it easier on drivetrains.

It definitely works both ways depending on situations. Get wedged up against something, turn the hydro steering and pop.

Are the new softer ones having issues with ripping lugs off, or is that only the stickies?

From what I’ve read, it’s the over sea stickies that are not doing so well.

The 43’s are made in the USA.

My 47’s are for sure not stickies. I just need to get the sidewalls broken in. I like running 0psi, and these with valve stems pulled, easily support the weight of the vehicle. Trail weight I’m probable around 5,500lbs.

That’s very similar to how I grooved my 43’s. They performed awesome in the snow.

I bought all the blades Van Alstine offers, thank you for the suggestion.

The hard part about the LTB’s is the Three Stage Lugs are drastically different in size than TSL’s, and they have a weird jog at the end of each center lug.

0F5792DC-A803-4785-89B8-D8FF1ECC60F5.jpeg

I take back what I said, the LTB’s are a 4 Stag Lug, with a jog at the end of each thread.

I’ll map out a groove this weekend…

5ECA2360-C865-413B-BD40-29BDF5D45C59.jpeg

Any update?

There is still a set of these on their blem site for about the price of a 40" radial. Thinking about giving them a shot, I've always liked the size, but the ones I've seen were so stiff and hard. This thread makes me wonder if the new version is much better.

Its a long heavy family rig and I have double beadlocks, so I could run as low as I need :laughing:

i almost kick my self for not trying the 47s too. i am just worried about the breakage. and i maybe overthinking it too. i would do it bud. get a set....

Any update?

There is still a set of these on their blem site for about the price of a 40" radial. Thinking about giving them a shot, I've always liked the size, but the ones I've seen were so stiff and hard. This thread makes me wonder if the new version is much better.

Its a long heavy family rig and I have double beadlocks, so I could run as low as I need :laughing:

I think you should do it. Ill bet any traction issues are outweighed by the fact that you have way more clearance and tires that are to big to fall in most normal tire sized holes between rocks

I agree, I'm obviously all over the place kn tires. 40s would probably work totally fine, but for some reason I have the itch for bigger tires. After all, the whole point is to have fun, not like I'm competing. I've also heard guys day those tall sidewalls make for a very cush ride over nuisance rocks, poor man's suspension :laughing:

If I hate them, I could probably sell the wheels and tires for a decent price around here with all the havoc type guys near by.

I agree, I'm obviously all over the place kn tires. 40s would probably work totally fine, but for some reason I have the itch for bigger tires. After all, the whole point is to have fun, not like I'm competing. I've also heard guys day those tall sidewalls make for a very cush ride over nuisance rocks, poor man's suspension :laughing:

If I hate them, I could probably sell the wheels and tires for a decent price around here with all the havoc type guys near by.
So its settled

Everyone I've ever heard say something like that ends up breaking all kinds of shit. :laughing:

That's what the ...... is for :laughing:

I used to be pretty hard on shit, but with age, I've gotten fairly sick of fixing shit and usually wheel smarter.

Also, I'm fairly positive that those 47s will be easier on parts than 42-43 stickies :laughing:

i ended up going with 40 USD s i found used. we will see how bad they tear shit up... but almost kick my self for not just doing 47s...

i never went through with it, mine are not bad enough that i want to drill a hole in the sidewall. they have some drama but no where near what i have seen.

i know the 47s are on there, but as we speak i have USDs inbound.

1703692772396.png
Nice, those stickies will be a game changer.:smokin:

Top Back Refresh