What's new

47” Swampers - Breaking in and Grooving

i never went through with it, mine are not bad enough that i want to drill a hole in the sidewall. they have some drama but no where near what i have seen.

i know the 47s are on there, but as we speak i have USDs inbound.

1703692772396.png
I am curious how you like the USD’s. They are a good looking tire for sure. I don’t personally know anyone running them. I go back and forth on giving them a try.

I am curious how you like the USD’s. They are a good looking tire for sure. I don’t personally know anyone running them. I go back and forth on giving them a try.
there is one guy locally running this exact set and i think he does real well. the only other set i saw in action was in MN on a mud infested rock trails and he had 46s on dana 80s front and back and zero give a fuck and them tires flat out worked. now maybe any tire on his rig would work i am sure. but he sold me on them especially after seeing them up-close and personal and the lugs are huge.....

there is one guy locally running this exact set and i think he does real well. the only other set i saw in action was in MN on a mud infested rock trails and he had 46s on dana 80s front and back and zero give a fuck and them tires flat out worked. now maybe any tire on his rig would work i am sure. but he sold me on them especially after seeing them up-close and personal and the lugs are huge.....
I live close to Shreveport where they are sold from and have been to the companies shop and talked with the owner. Great guy and you are right the lugs are massive.

Guess we're already off topic....:flipoff2:

They are popular with the havoc guys, usually with the "small" lugs cut out. For that type of racing, I think they are the best tire, even going against the massive 54-58s and even bigger ag tires. They are light compared to those and just hook so much better.

I did wheel with a rig last summer with them and I don't think they're the right tire for a crawler. He was trying to crawl some ledges and those huge lugs would just fold over and not grab.

Guess we're already off topic....:flipoff2:

They are popular with the havoc guys, usually with the "small" lugs cut out. For that type of racing, I think they are the best tire, even going against the massive 54-58s and even bigger ag tires. They are light compared to those and just hook so much better.

I did wheel with a rig last summer with them and I don't think they're the right tire for a crawler. He was trying to crawl some ledges and those huge lugs would just fold over and not grab.
i saw you post and was hoping you were letting us know the new 47s are shipped and will be at your house soon and asking what is the best grover for these bad boys.... :stirthepot::stirthepot::beer::beer:

I think they look cool but they need more sizes. 40x14x17, or 46x15.5x17. Make a 43x14.5 and im sold. 46" is just too big for my truck, and i dont want to go down to a 40. I see theyre going to be offering a 40" for a 16.5, so thats promising that they might offer other sizes in the future.

I ran 34" LTBs on my Samurai. They have the same funky offset on the ends of the lugs. I cut the offset parts off to create one WIDE straight groove between the lugs. I would probably add another normal width cut through the middle of each lug on a 47.

Cut tire.jpg

I ran 34" LTBs on my Samurai. They have the same funky offset on the ends of the lugs. I cut the offset parts off to create one WIDE straight groove between the lugs. I would probably add another normal width cut through the middle of each lug on a 47.

Cut tire.jpg

Do they move at all under a samurai?:flipoff2:

Any update?

There is still a set of these on their blem site for about the price of a 40" radial. Thinking about giving them a shot, I've always liked the size, but the ones I've seen were so stiff and hard. This thread makes me wonder if the new version is much better.

Its a long heavy family rig and I have double beadlocks, so I could run as low as I need :laughing:
No major update. I only got 1 trip to Dusy on them and they did great. I ran them at 4psi, next time I’m going to do 1psi. They still need to break in the side walls more. My 43’s took a few trips to loosen up.

I’m still planning on grooving them but haven’t gotten that far yet.

So far I’m happy, but 1st gear and 4.3 Atlas and 5.38’s is a little fast.

Gotta love the stance of some big meats. I think I can fit a 5gal bucket under the diff.

IMG_0041.jpeg

Well, they kinda pissed me off on my April 6th Rubicon trip, I was running 1psi and they just were not performing all that great in the snow. However, the snow was pretty hard packed and more ice than snow.

FordFascist and I were having a blast till we actually got 200’ onto the trail. I made 47” deep holes and got fawked up sideways. Winched out, but then I couldn’t make it up to the top of the damn. After countless rev limiter attempts, I pulled the valve cores and I was able to make it to the top in one try. So I may need to run these at 0psi for best performance.

We’re heading back up this weekend, and I’m almost done grooving them with the Van Alstine.

You know you’re fawked when you break out the MaxTraxs.
IMG_5082.jpeg

Who needs portals.
IMG_5073.jpeg

Setup the Groover for a pretty deep wide cut.
IMG_5290.jpeg

This is what happens when you’ve been drinking since 9am and put the cutter in backwards.
IMG_5292.jpeg

Tell me this cut doesn’t suck. I’m calling this “Comp Cut”. I’ve gotten pretty good. I can do one 47 in 23min.

IMG_5293.jpeg

you draw it out with a silver sharpie so your brain can go in cruise control? I know I'd have to do that....

I drew out a couple different patterns with a paint pen and then picked one and ran with it.

No laws when pounding claws. It’s not too bad once you get going. The Van Alstine rips through tires with no smoke and no rubber smell, and the tool and rubber are cool instantly. It’s nice having the right tool for the job.

IMG_5291.jpeg

I don’t know anyone that has this tool, so let me know if anyone has any questions about it. This is the second set I’ve done. It has 4 Heat setting and a Low and High, so technically 8 total settings. I cut my 43’s and 47’s on High 3.

The setting are a little confusing. It goes 1L,1H,2L,2H and up to 4H so technically I’m on heat setting 6 of 8, and it cuts like butter. This tool can do a 1”x1” cut as fast as you can push it.
IMG_3145.jpeg

Top Back Refresh