What's new

4.6 woes

Can you get him to go to a parts store and write down the codes they find?
He has a code reader. I've been posting the DTC's that he pulls up. It is the 3v 5.4, according to the intake plastics. He's been going after each code with the parts bazooka himself. I always suggest avoided this as well, but can only do so much from where I'm at. Here's hoping the shop he took it to can narrow down what'a going on.

Reactions: DMG
Most likely. But do you ever try to work with folks remotely that have the hardest time correctly sending you pics or info that you need? It's kinda like tellin someone "reach to your left" "no, your other left" :lmao:
I have gotten better about learning when I am trying harder to fix someones shit than they are.
As a "rescuer" its a negative personality trait not a positive.

I’m thinking it has the leaking plastic tensioner and cam phaser issue as it probably turns out to be 3V 5.4
If it a 3V then it’s in a special class of junk engines.
If somebody put any aftermarket phasers or other timing components in it all that stuff needs to be OEM. I’ve done plenty of these jobs.
I hate those engines…. well I guess I should like them because I’ve made money fixing them.

If it a 3V then it’s in a special class of junk engines.
If somebody put any aftermarket phasers or other timing components in it all that stuff needs to be OEM. I’ve done plenty of these jobs.
I hate those engines…. well I guess I should like them because I’ve made money fixing them.
x2

Once he sent me the pics of the 3V 5.4, I knew it was a pile. Would be nice if I could pack up the majority of my tools and head up there.

If that was in front of me I could probably figure it out in minutes. The only way to find a broken plastic intake is with a smoke machine, well any vacuum leak really.
If he shot the chinesium parts bazooka at it he’s made even a bigger mess, I get these types of messes dropped off all the time. I already have a good idea of what kind of mess it is.

Another useful tool is an IR camera, I can look at the exhaust and see in seconds if all the cylinder are pulling equally.

If that was in front of me I could probably figure it out in minutes. The only way to find a broken plastic intake is with a smoke machine, well any vacuum leak really.
If he shot the chinesium parts bazooka at it he’s made even a bigger mess, I get these types of messes dropped off all the time. I already have a good idea of what kind of mess it is.

Another useful tool is an IR camera, I can look at the exhaust and see in seconds if all the cylinder are pulling equally.
All of this. I've mentioned to him that it is best to stick with OEM parts exclusively on this. I know there's a few parts on there that aren't. Had I known more about this when I was there, I would have dug into it more than scoping for the broken spark plug and reconnecting what wasn't connected correctly. Ran out of time to go further, so this has probably been one of the worst remote diagnostics I've done.

I’ve seen plenty of this type of disaster, I’m the guy that fixes it after a few guy’s worked on it who shouldn’t have.
Trying to fix it with one of the Playschool code readers isn’t going to work unless you are a pro and know what to do. I’ve seen so many people waste a lot of money trying to throw a Hail Many at a problem only to waste time and money.

Does it have a miss? If not then the problem could be a vacuum leak and you’ll see a P0171 & P0174.

I’ve seen plenty of this type of disaster, I’m the guy that fixes it after a few guy’s worked on it who shouldn’t have.
Trying to fix it with one of the Playschool code readers isn’t going to work unless you are a pro and know what to do. I’ve seen so many people waste a lot of money trying to throw a Hail Many at a problem only to waste time and money.

Does it have a miss? If not then the problem could be a vacuum leak and you’ll see a P0171 & P0174.
Had a miss on #6. No vac leak codes and it's at a shop now.

Top Back Refresh