What's new

3RZ swaps in Northern CA

Thanks all, I'll look into everything mentioned.

My runner is a federal truck. Does that not matter and it still needs a CA swap? Mine's actually a 1984 22r truck that had a 22re swapped in, but has no papers on... Hoping that doesn't make it any more complicated, but from my research it doesn't matter because like stated the 3RZ is newer and same class.

I think on your exhaust note I will go opposite of your method. I'll try to route under at first and if the ref doesn't like it I'll flange it and go over just to pass. That way I can swap it back. If he doesn't care then I won't have put in the extra work.
What are you doing with the old 22re?
If you're selling it and it's a runner I might be interested.

I have a smog legal swap with a 97 3rz in a 84 toyota pickup that had a 22re. The ref required that the exhaust location could not be altered before the cat. Since the 22re has the exhaust going down the opposite side there was a clash with the gas tank. In the end i made a meth-head looking temp exhaust with flex pipe and tie wire so that the exhaust all ran down the passenger side and hung below the tank. The ref signed it off and then I put it back in as it should be. Later 3rz's have evap stuff in the gas tank that make it more complicated. Make sure that you get a maunal ECM if you intend on keeping a manual. They also checked to make sure my carb legal AEM air intake was not modified in any way. Happy to help if you have any questions.

Not sure of your intended goals, but If you havn't bought the parts yet I will add this. The 22re on 33's will 4.88's was slow. With the 3rz if was fast. Once I swapped to 36" Tsl it felt like the 22re again. A struggle to keep speed on the hills on the freeway. After I swapped to 40's and 1ton's with 5.38's I can't make it up my driveway in high range if aired down. Crawling is no issue but it's a dog on the road.

good info, thanks! I hit you in a PM about the gas tank comments. I wasn't aware of that part.

I am already on 5.29 with 35" - Intentions are eventually go 37", but my tires have a lot of life so it won't be for a while. I am thinking it should handle the 35 and 37 well. Better than the 22re :grinpimp:

What are you doing with the old 22re?
If you're selling it and it's a runner I might be interested.
I will be selling it. It's a good runner. I'm not sure on exact mileage as it's obviously been swapped in place of the 22r that was stock. It looks pretty clean and passes smog. When are you looking to buy one? I wasn't planning to pull it until next winter because I wanna wheel, but if I pay a shop I'd potentially do it sooner since they will get it done faster than my slow ass would :flipoff2:

I'll get video of a compression test/it running before I pull.

good info, thanks! I hit you in a PM about the gas tank comments. I wasn't aware of that part.

I am already on 5.29 with 35" - Intentions are eventually go 37", but my tires have a lot of life so it won't be for a while. I am thinking it should handle the 35 and 37 well. Better than the 22re :grinpimp:

I will be selling it. It's a good runner. I'm not sure on exact mileage as it's obviously been swapped in place of the 22r that was stock. It looks pretty clean and passes smog. When are you looking to buy one? I wasn't planning to pull it until next winter because I wanna wheel, but if I pay a shop I'd potentially do it sooner since they will get it done faster than my slow ass would :flipoff2:

I'll get video of a compression test/it running before I pull.
I'm not in a rush. Mine still runs but is feeling tired with 264K on it. I would just like to have a good backup on deck to minimize down time when the time comes to pull it. I'm just up the road in Placerville so it would be easy for me to pick it up if it works out.

It "should" be semi easy since is basically the same vehicle ~10 years later.

I've heard some horror stories about the ref trying to fail a swap for having the exhaust on the opposite side. So just be prepared, or register in a non smog County :laughing:
When I did my 3.4L swap I spoke with our Ref about exhaust...I couldn't keep it on the same side as the donor vehicle due to a transfer case being in the way, so I modified the manifolds and put the crossover below the bellhousing rather than on top. The Ref gave me the green light as long as I kept the A/F Ratio sensor (pre-cat O2) and cat about the same linear distance from the manifolds as on the OE 3.4L application...or as close to that as possible considering the packaging restraints.

In my experience, if the Ref sees that you tried to keep things the way they should be and didn't try anything hackfuck or blatently try to bend the rules, they'll sign off.

Last edited:
You need more than a po box, yes, but it's still pretty easy.
False.

I’ve personally done it with a PO Box only.

I believe the key was I took it to AAA to run the paperwork. The system took the info, that’s all they cared about.

I think the DMV is more likely to have an employee that thinks they are responsible for personally policing their interpretation of the code.

man, 3RZ are a gem to find these days it seems. They've become pretty rare in Toyota terms of rarity.

I'm thinking about just shifting my project to 5VZ. Those are everywhere it seems and much cheaper when you find them.

This swap definitely is on the priority list for me. 22RE died on me last Friday. I don't know what killed it yet, but my temp gauge for sure was stuck. I cooked her...

Nothing like a dead rig to motivate you. Shit got serious.

3RZ donor secured! Dumped it off on the in laws side yard where I will cannabalize it 😂

490C3A87-C05E-4F0A-8E5B-810D35C25256.jpeg

Top Back Refresh