What's new

3rz head options?

4x4orbust

Member Number
I’ve been having a rough idle/ rough initial startup on my 98 4Runner 3rz 5 speed 168000 miles.

Did a compression check and I’m at 215 psi for cylinders 1,2,&4. Cylinder 3 is at 80 psi. Did a leak down test and it’s the exhaust valve on that cylinder. I’ve been running it with this problem for 10-20k miles so the head is most likely cracked and toast. I will be checking valve clearances this weekend just because.

What are my options for a fully assembled head to purchase? I’ve done some googling and found this one that seems legit.

NEW COMPLETE TOYOTA TACOMA 4 RUNNER 2.7 3R or 2.4 2R DOHC CYLINDER HEAD CAM SHAFTS.

Also found this one

I basically want to swap mine out with a rebuilt one in a weekend. Any input on which way to go?

I've always tried to source a factory head to rebuild but I am about to give a Chinese one a try. The machine shop said the quality didn't seem bad... I'll add the name of the head later tonight, when I make it to my shop.

It's probably a receded valve and not a cracked head. It's the main problem with RZs. Don't keep the clearance in check and risk a burnt valve. Otherwise, they will go forever,

Top Back Refresh