What's new

3D printers

wvracer821

Member Number
Loc
Morgantown, WV
I'm looking to get my first 3D printer to play with. I've been looking at the Ender 6 Pro but I really have no idea whats good or bad. does anyone else have any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost below $750.

My roommate picked up the Ender 3 V2. He has had to make a lot of adjustments and replace some parts to get it printing clean quality prints. That said he's a former machinist and current perfectionist so YMMV.

We have been using the Creality CR-10 something (it is the big one )

Kid is always using it, I can never get at it anymore

Shipped fast, cheap parts when you dork something up

Been playing with an Ender 5 plus since a little after Christmas. Decent prints out of the box (just ditch the included filament), be careful with some mod's that are suggested as they can actually hurt quality. If you're going to be around them when running, a silent board is nice unless you enjoy the sounds of an R2 droid orgy.

I've got and elegoo mars and SLA printing rocks. The quality is amazing compared to FDM. Printing threaded (internal and external) parts really made a difference in I could do for testing and making useful stuff.

That being said I am looking at FDM printers due to the size limitations of SLA. I'm between dropping big coin on one of the nicer builds like a Voron or Railcore or a cheap dual material one like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0891TQKLX?tag=91812054244-20

Spin off question:

Those of y'all with a 3 d printer, how many things have you actually made and do you still use it?

Lots

ours had a different purpose
kid started to ask 'when are we ever going to use this math?' questions

Got the printer, got her a tinkercad account, and you would be amazed how many tools that your house did not have

and she owns math at this point, she can see it, and better yet she can see the why she needs to learn it

Latest has been labrynth door knockers for her bedroom

I have made guards for the cnc table, proof of concept models for the shop and the such

I've got an ender 3, if I were buying today I'd go with the Ender 3 Max just for the extra bed size.

I use a Prusa MK3S+ at work to make prototype parts. Prusa is one of the highest rated FDM printers and I see why. Very good resolution, intuitive menus and slicer, and quiet.
It is so easy and simple to use, I'll be buying one for personal use eventually...
Looks like their DIY build-it-yourself set is $750
https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-mk3/

When I built up the one for work and fired it up for the first time, it ran a self diagnostics and said, "Good job with the build. The X and Z axis aren't perfectly aligned, but they are close enough that we can adjust it in the software"

Spin off question:

Those of y'all with a 3 d printer, how many things have you actually made and do you still use it?

Hardly ever...it's noisy (need to do the silent stepper upgrade), shit never sticks to the bed, it's slow AF to print anything, and got frustrating. I printed off the few things I really wanted to do but haven't done much since....of course if there was something I needed, I could fire it up, but meh, nothing going on right now.

I've been doing a lot of reading and comparing, read a bunch of articles and watched a lot of YouTube videos.

I think I've decided I want a Creality CR-10 V3, seems to be the best bang/buck for a larger printer.

This will be my first 3D printer, but I made a living as a CAD monkey and CNC operator for a few years. I'm looking for maybe a little better than entry level printer.

Any thoughts, better recommendation than the CR-10? It's cheaper to buy the V3 than it is to buy the V2 and upgrade it to a V3, so I figured I'd just start with the V3.

I have the artillery x1. Its a useful tool. No comments on how it compares to other printers.

I've been doing a lot of reading and comparing, read a bunch of articles and watched a lot of YouTube videos.

I think I've decided I want a Creality CR-10 V3, seems to be the best bang/buck for a larger printer.

This will be my first 3D printer, but I made a living as a CAD monkey and CNC operator for a few years. I'm looking for maybe a little better than entry level printer.

Any thoughts, better recommendation than the CR-10? It's cheaper to buy the V3 than it is to buy the V2 and upgrade it to a V3, so I figured I'd just start with the V3.

I have that, zero issues. Have plenty of spare parts on hand if the machine being down will be an issue for you. Go to lowes and buy a 12X12 mirror for the bed. Other than that mines stock and I run it off a Raspberry Pi.

4 year old Anet A8 (?, knockoff of a knockoff). Paid $170 for it. Hasn't caught fire yet and prints as good as the $1000 one at work, but I haven't tried ABS with it yet, and probably wont. PETG on blue tape. Only mod is auto level. Its printing a project enclosure right now.

I like my cr-10. This year my goal has been out use it more so I have been making random tool organizers. The hazard of having lots of ways to make things is I don't think about using the 3d printer unless I really need to use it.

So far I upgraded the 40mm fan on the extruder, will probably put the stepper silencers on the weekend. After that I need an all metal hot end to print PETg better and a quiet 60 mm fan for the PSU.

Jewels got me a CR-10 V3 for my birthday! :smokin:

I look forward to a whole new way to waste time and money! :laughing:

I'm looking to get my first 3D printer to play with. I've been looking at the Ender 6 Pro but I really have no idea whats good or bad. does anyone else have any suggestions? I'd like to keep the cost below $750.
Just looked at prices on the 6 and it was $550?

Just a brief look as I hadnt heard of it yet, but man, that thing is sweet.

I have a 5 with a lot of mods done to it, but it sits.

Upgrading the damn things is a hobby unto its self.

do you have the time and energy to fuck with it for ten hours to make it work right? Buy an ender.
Do you want to assemble it, calibrate it and then have it make perfect prints? Buy a prusa.

maybe it is the operator
my 10y/o had ours running fine :laughing:
This.

The only thing I've done to my $200 monoprice special is level the print surface after every few prints and upgraded the extruder when the old one clogged. I've probably run 20 spools of filament through it and barely had to mess with it.

This.

The only thing I've done to my $200 monoprice special is level the print surface after every few prints and upgraded the extruder when the old one clogged. I've probably run 20 spools of filament through it and barely had to mess with it.

Thats been my experience too and I'm about the same amount of spools, I did add a mirror to the bed though. I chalk the issues up to the user

I will admit, there is a little learning curve, the hardest part is getting the bed level, if you can get that first layer down its cake after that

Top Back Refresh