What's new

350 legend

Thumping

Member Number
Will the 350 legend last or will it go away? I've been considering an upper for the round but I'd hate to invest into a caliber that may go away.

Thoughts?

It’s just an upper. You can always rebarrel
it or sell it.

It was designed for states that require straight wall cartridges for deer. Its not going anywhere.

It was designed for states that require straight wall cartridges for deer. Its not going anywhere.

Correct. Ohio is one of those fucky states. It’s basically 450 bushmasters little brother.

Correct. Ohio is one of those fucky states. It’s basically 450 bushmasters little brother.

Yup. IL, OH, MI, parts of PA and a few others. Supposedly you lose about 75-100yds effective range compared to the 450 but its cheaper to buy and reload.

I bought a 9mm suppressor that is rated for the 350 legend. I'm thinking it will be a great late night hog killer. I just need a top end for my 16.

I’ve been on the fence about it. There is no legal benefit to it in FL, I can hunt with any center fire cartridge, but it is interesting as a lower recoil deep thumper.

I don’t understand why the majority of the barrels out there are 16-20”, it should be MORE efficient than .300 blackout according to the typical rules.

I’ve got a Dead Air Wolfman in jail that claims it can handle .350 legend, so I may put an upper together and play with it.

I’ve been on the fence about it. There is no legal benefit to it in FL, I can hunt with any center fire cartridge, but it is interesting as a lower recoil deep thumper.

I don’t understand why the majority of the barrels out there are 16-20”, it should be MORE efficient than .300 blackout according to the typical rules.

I’ve got a Dead Air Wolfman in jail that claims it can handle .350 legend, so I may put an upper together and play with it.

Ive read its because of the powder used in the factory ammo is fast burning and done by 16" to 18".

Ive read its because of the powder used in the factory ammo is fast burning and done by 16" to 18".

Yeah, .300 blackout burns in ~ 9” though, but you do gain around 200 fps from 9” to 16”. Given the same case design and a larger bore, .350 legend should be faster with the same powder and bullet weight out of a 9” barrel.

It may have to do with AR’s or at least SBR’s not being legal in some of the states where it was designed to be used for hunting.

I thought at first it was because most AR shooters dont want anything longer than 18". Then I looked at the bolt guns and most of them are 16 to 18 also. I did some further digging and it does look like the 350 gains a couple hundred fps when using 20 to 22 and then drops dramatically after 22. So then I started thinking that maybe that short fat bullet just doesnt stabilize very well over 2250fps. Its interesting but I dont have one totest and find out.

Thanks guys. Once shit stabilizes I think I grab an upper and see how it goes on a few deer and hog.

I decided to give it a try, and ordered a Shaw barrel to start an upper. I deer hunt in Michigan and Indiana, so it will see some use in Michigan. I frankly don't see the round sticking around long term if the straight wall cartridge states go the Indiana route and legalize regular rifles. But the fact that it looks like it requires nothing more than a barrel and mag to convert an AR from 5.56/.223 to .350 is pretty appealing.

450 and 350 have become very popular in Iowa since they allowed straight wall rounds. I don't see it going anywhere.

Top Back Refresh