What's new

.30-06

Tin Roof

Rusted
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
My oldest son is in the market for a .30-06 rifle. It's been awhile since I bought a center fire hunting rifle. What are some good platforms in the mid-range for price? He likes the Remington 700, the bankruptcy and stories of quality issues with Remington guns lately isn't very appealing though.

I'm not typically a Savage fan, but that's what my .30-.06 is and I really like how it shoots. Before heading out West for mule deer and elk, I was shooting 4" groups at 500 yards easily.

Love Tikka and the Ruger American.

30-06 begins the punishing level of recoil for me. 6.5, 260, 7-mm08, outstanding killers, half the recoil. Debate for the ages I guess.

Love Tikka and the Ruger American.

30-06 begins the punishing level of recoil for me. 6.5, 260, 7-mm08, outstanding killers, half the recoil. Debate for the ages I guess.

Yup. I'll shoot my .243, .260, 6.5 all day long. Even my .308 isnt terrible. The 06, .338 even my .35 rem lever gun get to be a bit much after awhile. The worst is a PSA10 in .308 I picked up. It needs the buffer changed and an adjustable gas block added. The fucker is so light it kicks like a god damn mule.

You are probably pretty safe with any of the major manufacturers mid range offerings at this point, except Remington. I wouldn't touch one post freedom group unless I was getting a great price or just wanted a project action to build on. Not a big savage fan, but they do shoot well.

The Ruger Americans my friends have are all very accurate, especially considering the price.

My personal preference would be to Tikka.

I would check out the local shops and see what's out there. Hunting rifles haven't been too affected by the "panic or whatever it is" buying around here. You might just find something interesting for a decent price. Bottom line is it's a 30-06 hunting rifle, jack of all trades.

Hearing good things about Browning X bolts, no first hand experience.

I had an TC encore chambered in 30/06. Probably shouldn’t have sold it and all of the other barrels I had for it. Was a very accurate gun if you didn’t mind it being a single shot.

I'm not typically a Savage fan, but that's what my .30-.06 is and I really like how it shoots. Before heading out West for mule deer and elk, I was shooting 4" groups at 500 yards easily.

My .17 is a Savage 93 with Boyd’s thumbhole stock and accutrigger. It’s a fun gun to shoot.

Savage 110, Simmons 44 mag scope, Redfield solid bar mount, comfy sling. Good beater for banging around in the woods.

30-06 is my favorite round. I have a stainless 700, Browning BAR, Savage 111, and a TC Encore all in 30-06. I inherited all but the 700.

I live the round and honestly, love my 700. Load me up, load me down, pick up ammo at every gas station from here to hell and back .

My oldest son is in the market for a .30-06 rifle. It's been awhile since I bought a center fire hunting rifle. What are some good platforms in the mid-range for price? He likes the Remington 700, the bankruptcy and stories of quality issues with Remington guns lately isn't very appealing though.

Find him an older model in a pawn shop. Clean the crap out of the barrel and shoot it. The quality was there years ago. I recently picked up a 700 in 30-06. Cleaned the barrel til no more junk came out and it shoots great.

If youre going classic look for a Rem 721. I have a short action 722. Its great quality and has the 3 screw adjustable triggers.

Hard to beat a Rem 700, but any name brand rifle should serve him well.

I have a ruger Model 77 Mark 2 in 30-06. Shoot amazing and is dead nuts reliable. Savage is also has a great reputation for the money. A few friends have Tikka and they love them for a hunting rifle as well.

I would not touch a Remington unless its an old one.

Tikka is my vote. I have 4 of them now, one in 30-06 flavor. For the price they can't be beat, IMHO.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully we'll get a chance to visit the gun shop in the next couple weeks.

I’ve used a 06 for deer/elk combo gun for 30 years, but I’m moving to a 7mm-08 tikka with 140 gr accubonds. With modern bullets it hangs with the 06 in terms of energy.

Remington really isn’t competitive anymore, Tikka owns the upper low end for good reason. 30-06 in a 6lb tikka is probably the upper end for the recoil most can handle. I shoot a lot and my light weight 06 is one of my most uncomfortable rifles to shoot. I can roll the light weight 7mm-08 all afternoon without issue.

If he’s stuck on an 06, get one with some weight to it. Howa /weatherby is a good choice in that category IMO

Tin Roof I follow Cedar Valley Outfitters out of Marion, IA on Facebook. Ive bought a pistol from him and had it shipped to my local gun shop and had great service. He has a lifetime warranty on everything he sells.

he's got a used, like new, Savage Axis with scope posted for $289.99 in .30-.06 and a few other calibers

Top Back Refresh