What's new

2wd Tow Rig Tech

A rwd will not do better than a fwd car.
trumpwrong.jpg
There are VERY few limited slips in FWD applications, I've got one of them, a torsen based one.
It doesn't grab in the snow and ice half as well as a proper welded rear. My '85 LTD with the glued spiders will pull out from stoplights faster than a lot of 4wd stuff with open diffs.

10.5" 14b has dirt cheap detroits, so get one of them
my f350 is 2wd DRW with the 161" wheelbase, it is tolerable now that it's got the lockright in the back, but it does get stuck easily when empty. Couple tons over or just behind the rear axle makes a massive difference.

ETA: also, beater 3+3 trucks are the only crewcabs I can tolerate. Personal opinion, but for whatever reason they're just on the edge of okay where everything else is complete trash to be immediately sold to soccer dads.

Last edited:
[486 said:
;n274567]
trumpwrong.jpg
There are VERY few limited slips in FWD applications, I've got one of them, a torsen based one.
It doesn't grab in the snow and ice half as well as a proper welded rear. My '85 LTD with the glued spiders will pull out from stoplights faster than a lot of 4wd stuff with open diffs.

10.5" 14b has dirt cheap detroits, so get one of them
my f350 is 2wd DRW with the 161" wheelbase, it is tolerable now that it's got the lockright in the back, but it does get stuck easily when empty. Couple tons over or just behind the rear axle makes a massive difference.

ETA: also, beater 3+3 trucks are the only crewcabs I can tolerate. Personal opinion, but for whatever reason they're just on the edge of okay where everything else is complete trash to be immediately sold to soccer dads.

I have a heavy V8 wagon with a lockright rear, a front wheel drive car, a couple of 4wd trucks, a 100 series cruiser and the wife’s rav4. Plus I drive customers cars every day. I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania.

a fwd car is worlds better than a pickup without half a ton in the bed, assuming a 2wd truck or 4wd not locked in. SW PA is extremely hilly. 2wd trucks just don’t get up the hills. Fwd cars do, as long as they are on all seasons and the tires aren’t a foot wide.

Do any of you with 2wd rigs carry traction mats or chains? It's something I've been considering, my truck seems to get stuck pretty easy.

no chains, once you're stuck they're hard to put on and when you're not stuck I hate to have them on there
I do carry some boards and shit mostly for dunnage, but they do get thrown under the tires every spring to get it outta the 8-10" deep tire shaped holes in the frozen dirt/clay

I do have a 4wd f150 that has chains on year-round but it never sees asphalt
I have a heavy V8 wagon with a lockright rear, a front wheel drive car, a couple of 4wd trucks, a 100 series cruiser and the wife’s rav4. Plus I drive customers cars every day. I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania.
a fwd car is worlds better than a pickup without half a ton in the bed, assuming a 2wd truck or 4wd not locked in. SW PA is extremely hilly. 2wd trucks just don’t get up the hills. Fwd cars do, as long as they are on all seasons and the tires aren’t a foot wide.

Dunno what to say other than when my FWD shitbox won't go up a hill, it usually will in reverse.

Last edited:
most of my tow rigs have been 2wd. mostly because of cost.

but i set them up the way i want. almost always gears and a locker, maybe a winch. my 2 tow rigs right now are a 2010 f350 w/ 5.4 and 4.56gears/ electric locker. the other a 98 e350 psd, small lift, 33" tires, 4:10 gears, locker, and bigger shafts (was 31 spline now 36? i think). and the van has a winch on the front. both have air bags and on board air, air helps when airing down the tires.

i think most trucks for towing are under geared, i dont need to run 1500rpm @70mph in a gas rig.... and regearing a 4wd is allot for the use, not to mention i cant remember ever needing to do more than air down a little and hit the locker, if i ever need more traction.

this is also the PNW not allot of snow but i cross allot of territory. most recently to glamis, then to boise and back. wa, or, ca, ne, id, and or. and that was in the 5.4 truck, even hit the scales... loaded to 21k:eek: truck had a rzr on the flat bed, and a toyhauler with another rzr and all the crap to be gone 2 weeks. over 3k miles on a 5.4 w/ 250k miles. didn't mis a beat and almost got 7mpg, 65-70mph speeds. i'm happy with that:smokin:

[486 said:
;n276845]no chains, once you're stuck they're hard to put on and when you're not stuck I hate to have them on there
I do carry some boards and shit mostly for dunnage, but they do get thrown under the tires every spring to get it outta the 8-10" deep tire shaped holes in the frozen dirt/clay

I do have a 4wd f150 that has chains on year-round but it never sees asphalt

Dunno what to say other than when my FWD shitbox won't go up a hill, it usually will in reverse.

Probably a VW or similar with wider front tires

I was probably dumb when I picked my truck but I went and bought a 71 f350 crew cab 2wd. It hardly moved in my yard with a small amount of snow but it does have shitty tires right now. Actually rides pretty decent. I was pleasantly surprised. The 360 died so in the process of building up a 460 for it. should be 450-500 hp with AFR heads and at 9.2:1 compression should be able to run on 87 octane. Havnt towed with it yet to see how it pulls.
I also never plan on my truck seeing winter do to salt.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh