What's new

2RZ PS pump mods, or just TC swap it?

Yotota

Truck nerd
Member Number
Loc
SW WA
Currently running a stock 2RZ power steering pump. I'm familiar with the "Stage 1-3" pressure, flow, and inlet mods to 22R pumps but I'm honestly not sure if this would apply the same to the 95-00 2RZ/3RZ pump.

The complete pump is a 44320-04020... It shares the same base pump housing 44302-04010 across all 2RZ and 3RZ models. And the same valve assembly 44330-26071 across all 2RZ, 3RZ, and 5VZ models.

For now, I just want a more power to an FJ60 box. I'll add a cooler now, and a hydro assist cylinder sooner or later.

I know I could drop $200 on a Chilkat TC mount and a Jeep TC pump with adapter fittings. That's been the plan. Plus another $100 if I do remote reservoir and hoses. But if I can throw a $20 seal kit and a couple hours of work into my stock pump it's probably worth a try.

Has anyone successfully modded a 2RZ/3RZ pump? Should I even spend the time dicking around with it, or just swap to a known better pump? Anyone have a TC recommendation beyond the 95-00 4.0L XJ Cherokee pump?

Last edited:
I'll be swapping to hydraulic fluid soon too. No idea what's in there now, except that it's old and nasty.

Last edited:
I have an idea... Why don't you finish the rear axle and drive it first? You may not need to mod anything. :stirthepot::flipoff2:

I have an idea... Why don't you finish the rear axle and drive it first? You may not need to mod anything. :stirthepot::flipoff2:

:flipoff2:

Yep, just the rear axle. We don't need drivelines, or brakes, or shocks, or.....

The list is still long and steering has to get addressed at some point. I'm restraining myself to not throw a cylinder on the front axle when I have it out for a rebuild and armor welding. And I need to stop spending money. 🥲

I need to flush the PS anyway and add a cooler. So if I can mod the stock pump it's a good time to do it. Or unbolt it and throw on a TC pump.

This truck will never be done if you keep adding things to the list....

Meanwhile, try this: LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

:lmao:

Oh thanks, that's totally different than the exact same search I've been doing.

I don't want a trailmart pump, PSC no longer makes a kit, and the rest is swapping to a TC. Then a handful of questions about pump mods but no actual confirmation.

Use a PSC SP1200X pump with a TRG bracket, you have to drill out one of the holes on the pump to bolt it up. Have a few buddies running them on 3.4s, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the 2RZ

i used the old psc 22re kit on poly performance with a chilkat bracket. The bracket had to be trimmed to fit, but other than that no issues thus far. I Also swapped out the v-belt pulley with a trail mart one

20210818_174357.jpg

Also made a bracket to mount the reservoir
20210818_174338.jpg

I was pondering the same thing when I bought my 2RZ. Then I picked up the motor and it dint have a pump. I ended up going with the PSC TC pump/Pulley and the Chillkat mount.

Thanks guys, four votes for the PSC pump is pretty damn convincing. :smokin:

I'll add a PSC pump and Chilkat bracket to the list and probably do them at the same time as the hydro assist later this year (phase 2). First order of business is getting the damn thing driving (phase 1) so I'll just flush the stock pump and run hydraulic fluid for now. Maybe throw on a cooler.

I have nothing to add as far as suggestions go.
But I have a 3rz and I’m curious what are the advantages of running hydraulic fluid instead of tranny fluid? I’m also having issues with the PS pump, put a Napa one in 2 months ago and it’s already making noise.

But I have a 3rz and I’m curious what are the advantages of running hydraulic fluid instead of tranny fluid? I’m also having issues with the PS pump, put a Napa one in 2 months ago and it’s already making noise.
It holds up to heat better and resists foaming better than ATF. Drag racers run it in their autos.

It holds up to heat better and resists foaming better than ATF. Drag racers run it in their autos.

Yep, it's better in every way for steering. Toyota fills them with straight hydraulic fluid from the factory but specs ATF for top offs because it's more convenient to find. ATF is effectively hydraulic fluid with a bunch of additives, detergents, and dye in it. And regular power steering is a plain old hydraulic system.

Top Back Refresh