What's new

2bb bought a pos excavator and needs input from people smarter then him

The alternator as explained above most are internal but this one most likely isnt.

Or perhaps it is an AC source in the cab for an accessory outlet.

@PAE

Yes it does say AC on it. What would be ac on this thing? Possibly a block heater? Or could the altenator be ac?

The alternator as explained above most are internal but this one most likely isnt.

Or perhaps it is an AC source in the cab for an accessory outlet.

Rectifiers only convert AC to DC... DC to AC is another ball game needing an inverter.
OP: is there a 110V power plug on this rig (male)? How about a transformer tucked in somewhere?

Serious question, do you really need to cycle glow plugs in ca temps? My dozer has a 3 cylinder perkins, no glow plugs, and will generally fire right off well below freezing. It does have an intake charge heater (diesel fire) but it doesnt work.

Serious question, do you really need to cycle glow plugs in ca temps? My dozer has a 3 cylinder perkins, no glow plugs, and will generally fire right off well below freezing. It does have an intake charge heater (diesel fire) but it doesnt work.

On this one you seem to. Its probably so low on compression it needs all the help it can get. My new kubota didn't need it but it would fire quicker, same with my 7.3 f250. My 82hp perkins fires instantly no matter what though

Didnt read all that^. But did you get the milwuakee m18 grease gun?

Yes thats what I meant.

Rectifiers only convert AC to DC... DC to AC is another ball game needing an inverter.
OP: is there a 110V power plug on this rig (male)? How about a transformer tucked in somewhere?

When they're wore the fuck out.

I've got a tractor with 7000+ hours. It wont fire in 100* temp without glow.

You need to spray ether in it. Lots and lots of ether. Then spray some in your COVID mask and then don that mask. Then try to start the engine. It won't start but you won't really care.

Where the go to place for pins and bushings? Somewhere I can call and they know and can ship me what I need in 1 shot

Where the go to place for pins and bushings? Somewhere I can call and they know and can ship me what I need in 1 shot

get a parts manual...look around. And no not really. You can measure your pins once they are removed and maybe in the slightest chance a generic hydraulic shop will have them.

But its probably going to be dealer..maybe ebay

Messicans at home depot here start around 30/hr plus lunch plus you drive them.

So yes it would probably be cheaper

No Shit! Needed some yard clearing last year; fucking beaner cost me well north of $20/hr.. I had to provide tools, dump trailer, and fucking GLOVES!. Next year; going to hire a local landscaper to clean up my shit! :smokin:

No Shit! Needed some yard clearing last year; fucking beaner cost me well north of $20/hr.. I had to provide tools, dump trailer, and fucking GLOVES!. Next year; going to hire a local landscaper to clean up my shit! :smokin:

Gosh, it’s almost like they’re human and deserve a living wage.

To earlier to discuss grease guns?

My old 1980 diesel tractor has to be glow plugged no matter the ambient temp. 2 cyl Shibaura in a ford branded new holland. It doesn’t smoke at all when running, but if I don’t glow plug it, all it will do is smoke when trying to start it. About 8 to 10 seconds is all it takes.

my Grandfather owned an engine machine shop called industrial engine repair. He specialized in Detroit’s but rebuilt whatever people brought in. I worked for him rebuilding engines for about 5 years. He had some trophies that were connecting rods with up to 90 degree bends in them from ether. Growing up if you mentioned ether in my grandpa’s presence he’d line everyone up for an ass chewing session. I don’t use or recommend ether unless the engine isn’t yours.

My old 1980 diesel tractor has to be glow plugged no matter the ambient temp. 2 cyl Shibaura in a ford branded new holland. It doesn’t smoke at all when running, but if I don’t glow plug it, all it will do is smoke when trying to start it. About 8 to 10 seconds is all it takes.

my Grandfather owned an engine machine shop called industrial engine repair. He specialized in Detroit’s but rebuilt whatever people brought in. I worked for him rebuilding engines for about 5 years. He had some trophies that were connecting rods with up to 90 degree bends in them from ether. Growing up if you mentioned ether in my grandpa’s presence he’d line everyone up for an ass chewing session. I don’t use or recommend ether unless the engine isn’t yours.

I've got a '79 IH. No ether ever. But just did rebuild the injection pump. What a difference that made. Now I have shift linkage issues. Ugh

That item in the pic is a bridge rectifier.

Or at least looks like one.

It most likely connects to an AC source and if hooked up correctly turns it to DC.

Not at all a resistor, google bridge rectifier.

I was guessing glow plug relay.

JR4X said:
. I don’t use or recommend ether unless the engine isn’t yours.

The JD combine I briefly owned had an ether button on the dash. That thing needed to have the glow plugs cycled to fire off, dont think weak batteries helped much. No idea of actual hours on the dozer, apparently the engine is the only thing on it that isnt beat to death.

Try to never use ether, reach for wd40 first, if that doesn't do it, try a rag with gasoline stretched across the intake.

Not all diesels require a grid heater or glow plugs to fire it up. Some of the smaller diesels DO. Even some of the early V8 diesel engines wouldn't fire off unless ALL of the glow plugs were working and that was in Texas in the summer.. Do NOT use either. I repeat, Do NOT use either. Use WD 40, just a squirt. Spray too much and you can make the engine runaway. Diesels do NOT have a throttle body, so, the engine speed is controlled by how much fuel you put into it.

Last edited:
I was guessing glow plug relay.

I'm thinking something like that. At first thought it was downhill from the glow plugs but now I'm thinking it's the other way around now. At some point every wire (all 6 of them) and hose thingy runs into the mysterious void under the tractor.
I really wish I had a shop or even piece of concrete to tear the thing down 100% and clean/paint/ re assemble with all new hardware and pieces. There isn't much to this thing at all.

That depends on the model, brand and engine. Some engiintes will go another 5k hours or more.

We start to get rid up ours around the 7k hour range. Not a engine thing. Usually the entire chassis is need of repairs, and we are at the cusp of being able to sell it before it costs us more money.

Top Back Refresh