What's new

290 grain .45 acp

[486]

smells things
Member Number
Loc
pine city MN
so
ya'll may remember my retarded foray into 165 grain 9x19 (they tumble unless you fill the case entirely with power pistol)

well I decided what better way to salvage that relatively unusable mold than to get a 7/16" ball end mill and hog it out into a .45 mold of undetermined weight
Cutting the whole cavity all in one operation allows me to make sure the entire thing is concentric, where before I'd deepened the existing cavities resulting in a little bit of lopsidedness
well, jamming that end mill in deep enough to clean up the old cavities resulted in a 290 grain bullet
fuck

well, we press on
gonna see if they tumble with a real light red dot load (thinking I'll start at 3 grains), if they do, there's someone out there pimping 275s at 1035fps ahead of 8.7gns of blue dot, so I figure 6 grains oughta be an okay starting point for a retarded .45 super pressure level loading with strong small primer brass
if that fails I've got longshot to fall back on which is a good boy and wouldn't never do nuffin wrong (a pound of lil gun, too), but I'd rather get rid of the blue dot since I've started reading about it getting blowy-uppy below -20F

anyways, why not broadcast what retardation I got going on to the world, what's the worst that'll happen? Everyone will have a record of which calibers I've loaded for and then they'll draw unfounded conclusions about what sorts of firearms I have access to. Dystopian horrors abound!

I’ve shot several thousand rounds of 165 grain 9mm. No tumbling for me :confused: Loaded 3 to 3.2 grains. Far from a full case.

I’ve shot several thousand rounds of 165 grain 9mm. No tumbling for me :confused:
I had a lee 125gr mold and was running into the ogive hitting the throat real bad when seated to "normal 9mm" length, so I figured I'd extend the nose a bit to stick the ogive back into the case a little bit
used a 5/16" ball end mill but aligned it with the cavities by eye and feel which wasn't good enough, two of them were slightly lopsided which I think is why they were so unhappy with 1:10 rifling which would normally be somewhat okay

the 45 one is a 1:16, and the 9mm was tried in both 1:10 and 1:9.84

the 9mm one was kinda neat that it was right on the threshold such that it could be stabilized by adding velocity, though I was looking for a slow boolit in front of a cat's sneeze worth of fast powder, which is why I cut on the mold some more
.45 rifle stuff all seems to get away with extremely slow rifling, so the relatively fast 1:16 should do okay even with the real heavy bullet, especially since it is all concentric (casting voids notwithstanding)
we'll see in time, work up a couple loads tomorrow into a trap then I'll try them at distance through paper in a few days

My 10 inch 9mm sbr is 1:10 I think. Been a couple years since I swapped the barrel.

Well, if anything untoward happens to you, we already have your epitaph... Carry on! :grinpimp:

promo/reddot
3.0gr 704fps
3.2 748
3.4 775
3.6 err
3.8 789
4.0 840
4.2 827
4.4 883
4.6 908, primer just starting to flatten

blue dot
6.0gr 680fps
7.0 789
8.0 961
8.5 1006, primer just starting to flatten

thought I had longshot, couldn't find it, didn't bother
loaded up some with 3gr of promo and some with 8.2 of blue dot
we'll see if the slow ones tumble, if they do we'll see if the faster ones do too
if they do, there is room to go hotter

well they weren't tumbling
they were hanging up in the mag and not going into battery good, so I think I'll seat the next ones a tiny bit deeper

thinking the 4.2gr promo load would be a good one to load up a bunch of
they were cycling good and the blue dot wasn't making a whole lot more velocity for the double the amount of powder
maybe I should try something midrange between the two like powerpistol or 231, probably running outta case capacity on the BD causing the pressure signs before reaching retarded velocities

dunno, have to decide if I feel a need for speed

Top Back Refresh