What's new

27 gallon storage totes.

billybob_81067

Redneck
Member Number
Loc
Southeastern Colorado
I'm thinking about picking up a shitload of those black 27 gallon storage totes with yellow lids. So far I see Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart.com, and Costco sell them. I've also seen that the ones at Costco go on sale for like $6 from time to time. Any of the others go on sale regularly? I don't have a Costco membership and the nearest one is about 100 miles away.

Has anyone done any durability testing on them or have a preference on one over another? Any other places that sell them other than the ones I mentioned? I'll probably end up buying a couple hundred of them so if I can save a few bucks on each tote it would be worth it, but don't want to limit myself to shitty totes either, and also don't want to buy some that end up being one-off weird totes that won't be around for a while and won't stack/play nicely with others...

You should get the white 275 gallon ones instead, they cost a couple bucks extra but the added capacity is really worth it.

We did our entire garage with the various sizes from home depot. They are holding up well so far. I do have one 27 gal. From costco and crushed the lid from stacking two other totes full of 5.0 parts on it. My own fault, probably close to 100 lbs of stuff on a plastic lid.

[486 said:
;n136304]You should get the white 275 gallon ones instead, they cost a couple bucks extra but the added capacity is really worth it.

Already have a few of them! :flipoff2:

We did our entire garage with the various sizes from home depot. They are holding up well so far. I do have one 27 gal. From costco and crushed the lid from stacking two other totes full of 5.0 parts on it. My own fault, probably close to 100 lbs of stuff on a plastic lid.

Do you feel like the home depot ones are superior to the Costco one, or did it fail purely from the severe abuse?

I have a few hd ones. They are pretty tuff, one has 3 np205s in it and has been going strong for a few years. I also broke the lid on one but don't remember how.

I think they are about the same. It failed due to abuse. And it really didnt completely fail. The lid just sank and buckled on the sides. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow.

I just bought like 8 of them from home depot, they were on sale for ~$8.

Ive noticed that different brands are different enough that the lids don't interchange or they won't stack with each other. :homer: I'm not sure why they all make them look the same if they aren't the same.

Point being, buy them from where you know you can get them in the future. I'm not sure Costco always carries them.
​​​​

Home Depot Husky totes with the red snap close lids are what I prefer, but it's a pita finding them in stock now and for your application they might be a bit pricey.

Totes are weird like that, seems they make one style for a year or two and then never again...

Sterilite (sp?) makes a similar one which seems to be built pretty stout, had to break down and go with that since I couldn't find any more Husky ones.e

Edit

FWIW I've used the 27 gallon totes with yellow lids your referring to, they seem to hold up good for misc crap in the shop, but I prefer the Husky totes, they seem more stout.

Last edited:
Home Depot Husky totes with the red snap close lids are what I prefer, but it's a pita finding them in stock now and for your application they might be a bit pricey.

Totes are weird like that, seems they make one style for a year or two and then never again...

Sterilite (sp?) makes a similar one which seems to be built pretty stout, had to break down and go with that since I couldn't find any more Husky ones.

For how much though? You read where he said he's buying a few hundred?

I'll let you know, I packed all my tools and garage shit into 6 of them. 2 went with the movers and the rest with me. So far I overloaded one with spare truck parts and it cracked around the edge:laughing:! I'll update this in a few mo ths once my truck gets out of storage and it makes the 13hr drive down here and my shit gets out of storage from the moving company.
20200912_173958.jpg

we will see how they do with a tire strapped over them.
20200912_174655.jpg

Sterilite (sp?) makes a similar one which seems to be built pretty stout, had to break down and go with that since I couldn't find any more Husky ones.e

Edit

FWIW I've used the 27 gallon totes with yellow lids your referring to, they seem to hold up good for misc crap in the shop, but I prefer the Husky totes, they seem more stout.

The Husky ones are great but they're getting harder and harder to find in the stores, especially the smaller 5 gallon ones. Might just order them through Amazon

I have about 100 of the Lowe's variety. They had a sale for $9, and I bought about 40 recently. We've moved regularly, and they are awesome to stack 4 high on a open trailer.

We have the Costco ones, The yellow lids are fragile in my case. No problem with the black tubs. Might be opening in cold weather that did it. I have had better luck with misc. sterlite and rubbermaid totes.

Black and yellow hd ones are the best I've found.

The $:quality ratio is best.

I keep thick cardboard And random cutoffs of plywood around to put in the bottoms of these if I am going to put a couple of cylinder heads or a winch in them. It helps them survive my abuse.

Stack them with a lot of weight in them and they are ok for a while but eventually they will crush.

What are you doing with a couple hundred of these things anyway? Isn't that more of an issue than which one will hold up best to the dead hookers or piss and shit collection, or whatever the fuck your storing in them? :flipoff2:

I have a mix from HD and Lowe's and probably a couple from walmart. I think I snuck them on my moving expenses when my last company relocated me. As others said, they all look the same but they're not quite identical. Lids don't interchange and some don't even stack well. Just have to plan out where you're using them so the compatible ones end up together.

I've been planning on getting a couple dozen more for my upcoming move. They are for the heavier stuff and long-term storage.

Why does it seem that when you buy things like this for organizing and storage, you always end up with things that are just a tad too big to fit in them? I want to put all my house painting supplies in one....except this one roller handle won't fucking fit. So now I have still have paint stuff in multiple places. Every fucking time.

They are a bit more expensive but I haven't found anything that holds up as well as the rubbermaid roughneck totes. They bend and flex vs every other make that is more brittle and end up cracking.

The Husky ones are great but they're getting harder and harder to find in the stores, especially the smaller 5 gallon ones. Might just order them through Amazon

I like those 5 gallon ones aswell, it turns out Craftsman makes a very similar 5 gallon one, same lid style, seems really stout. $5 at Lowes.

They are a bit more expensive but I haven't found anything that holds up as well as the rubbermaid roughneck totes. They bend and flex vs every other make that is more brittle and end up cracking.

2X. I’ve had some over a decade. Just keep them out of the sun, of course nothing plastic is going to be outdoor friendly. I mostly use the 15 gallon size. About $8, maybe $6 online if you buy a dozen or better.

2X. I’ve had some over a decade. Just keep them out of the sun, of course nothing plastic is going to be outdoor friendly. I mostly use the 15 gallon size. About $8, maybe $6 online if you buy a dozen or better.

i have a rubbermaid tote(18 gallon i think) from 1990 and its still in good shape :laughing:

Of all places, Aldi's in my area have had the black/yellow Commander totes and the price was pretty good.

I've had far better luck with the standard Rubbermaid totes than anything else. Lids tear sometimes if you have pointy uneven shit in a tote and stack a heavy one on top but that's about the only failure mode they don't recover from.

What are you doing with a couple hundred of these things anyway? Isn't that more of an issue than which one will hold up best to the dead hookers or piss and shit collection, or whatever the fuck your storing in them? :flipoff2:

Making a dock? Barge?

Nah just tons of shit that needs organizing... Went ahead and got 50 of them at Home Depot last night to get started on organizing stuff. Hopefully we can catch them on sale sometime and buy some more!

Top Back Refresh