What's new

2500HD 6.0 tow rig upgrades/tech

Gunhand1

Member Number
Loc
Best Virginia
So I've got a 2005 2500HD with 6.0/4l80e as my daily (for now) and tow rig for the shitbox cherokee. I'd like to make a few upgrades to help out towing and whatnot. It really does great for what it is, and I don't have a desire to sell it for a diesel at the moment, but a few upgrades to help drag shit up the hills would be welcomed.

What have you guys done and what difference had it made?

Currently it has the cats deleted and 1-7/8" long tube headers along with a ported out stock intake box. All that together seemed to take my tow MPG from about 8 to almost 9.5 on the same route and same load.
I'm looking at possibly a torque cam, TBSS/NNBS intake, and a Blackbear(or other) tune

a tune from 150tunes helped my 05 2500 out a lot. my dad drove it with just a tune for over a year as a daily before I started chopping it up. my plans for it now are a cam, valve springs, TBSS intake and a tansgo shift kit.

a tune from 150tunes helped my 05 2500 out a lot. my dad drove it with just a tune for over a year as a daily before I started chopping it up. my plans for it now are a cam, valve springs, TBSS intake and a tansgo shift kit.
I'm definitely gonna get a tune soon, I'm just wondering if there's some supporting work I should do first so I don't have to have it re-tuned. But if a new intake and cam swap aren't gonna help much I'll just say fuck it and get the tune and be done haha

Turbo or get the fuck out:flipoff2:
I like the idea of forced induction, I'm just not sure I can pull it off clean enough to be reliable 🤣

Cam and tune, or turbo and tune. I’m in the same boat with my 6.0 gas truck. Apparently, says the internet only, a tune can give the lq4 50hp.

Currently it has the cats deleted and 1-7/8" long tube headers along with a ported out stock intake box. All that together seemed to take my tow MPG from about 8 to almost 9.5 on the same route and same load.

So need to get the headers on and exhaust built for my van, that’s quite impressive.

So need to get the headers on and exhaust built for my van, that’s quite impressive.
I was pretty surprised to see a pretty solid 1mpg jump, it took me at least 4 fill up cycles before I believed it :lmao:
And that's pulling through western MD and WV, I think on flat ground I might be able to eek out 10mpg.

cam, tune and exhaust is worth about 100hp on a 4.8 I would assume the gains on a 6.0 are similar
100hp would probably make all the difference in the world on this old truck. I'm really itching to pull the trigger on a BTR truck norris or stage whatever truck cam

ill drop this here if you haven't seen it already. I ended up with an Elgin 1840p (sloppy stage 2 is the street name) before this one came out.

ill drop this here if you haven't seen it already. I ended up with an Elgin 1840p (sloppy stage 2 is the street name) before this one came out.
That's a really great price. I watched a few dyno videos and it looks like it bumps power and torque pretty much across the board.

I'm running that sloppy 2 in my lq4 with ls1 heads, ls2 pistons, tbss intake, long tubes, holley tb, etc. I didn't buy a box tune, had it dyno'd. I wish I would have gone with a bigger cam, but I'm asking my truck to do different things than you are.

Last edited:
Silly question probably. Is the only good way to get a cam tune on a dyno or are there mail order tunes that work good for some of the popular cams?

Thought many times about a cam for the lm7 in my junk, but the tuning may be about the same money as the cam??

Silly question probably. Is the only good way to get a cam tune on a dyno or are there mail order tunes that work good for some of the popular cams?

Thought many times about a cam for the lm7 in my junk, but the tuning may be about the same money as the cam??
There are so so so many of these ls combos out there that are identical in parts lists that a box tune should get it close. I wanted all I could get so I went to the dyno. Turns out they wouldn't spin it up because of the long truck drive shaft. So who knows if I got everything possible. I doubt it. I run an afr meter too, too keep track of what is doing.

Top Back Refresh