What's new

24v thermostat in a trailer

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
Can I do this? I bought a 12 to 24v converter, but the coleman AC takes 12v thermostat inputs, so I can get the thermostat to work on 12v, but the output issue

I'd like to get a smart thermostat, not the ghetto 12v kinds available, but a nice home unit.

Give the operating side of the thermostat whatever voltage it wants, the switch side of the thermostat shouldn’t care about the voltage within reason.

But you are correct power the thermostat with 24v (house thermostats are actually 24v AC not DC) but I think they will work on DC too.
The relays to switch on/off are going to be 120v minimum rated I bet.

I am missing where they tall about sending a 12v signal from thermostat to the AC? Because normally they send 24v :confused:

New digital household thermostats are equipped with onboard batteries (usually two AA or two AAA alkaline batteries), enabling them to function fully without any external power source, AC or DC.

the household thermostat will still send the appropriate signals to make the things work, just find one that uses batteries apparently.

anything battery powered should be functioning off of DC. it would certainly be another step if you wanted to hardwire it into the truck and get away from batteries altogether.

the household thermostat will still send the appropriate signals to make the things work, just find one that uses batteries apparently.

can you clarify please? I thought a 24vac stat will send 24vac to the AC relays, wouldnt that fry the the 12vdc AC stuff?

can you clarify please? I thought a 24vac stat will send 24vac to the AC relays, wouldnt that fry the the 12vdc AC stuff?
battery powered thermostat for the household style thermostat works off DC power. it'll just trigger whatever it is passing through. On a house it would be passing through 24vAC and on mobile it will be passing through 12vDC (passing through/switch on/off)

the internal batteries are just to turn the thing on and do the controls and stuff. if your common is 12vdc that's what it will signal out.

Top Back Refresh