What's new

24 valve belt alignment

pjaf

NY excapee
Member Number
Has anyone had accessory drive belt misalignment issues at the ac compressor? Truck in question is a 2005 3500 2wd standard cab The compressor is one groove forward and the belt jumps back and then destroys itself. New belts, new tensioner, new fan drive. Checked the dampener for a bad rubber bond. Using a straightedge the problem seems to be the compressor.. Truck has a new compressor and according to Napa,Rock Auto, and a couple of others it supposed to be correct. Sanden SD7HD15.
2006 compressors changed to a HD-18. Truck has a production date 5-05. Anyone else seen this before? Is the HD-18 a little shorter? Like one groove?
I tried to give as much info as possible, Didn't mean to ramble

Well a 2005 is not a 24 valve, could that be an issue?

Fwiw, I just ordered an alternator for a 95 12v and received one with a 6 groove pulley. Correct part number and all. Have you had a parts store pull their compressor and compare it to what you have?

I've had to cut a rib off on a truck before.

Sorry for the confusion on the 24v thing. I thought all common rail where 24v. No on the new compressor.
Yes and no on the compressor, Yes it has become a problem after a new compressor, but after asking the owner wtf? he admitted this problem was there before. The belt cut a rib off on its own and he left it. I can't believe that all dodge trucks where built this way from the factory.
Sanden compressor books state there is a gauge line you can measure but different charts show measurements taken from different points. Makes it ambiguous at best.
I think AKnate has the short term answer, but my OCD is telling me to fix this.

Have you try loosen a/c compressor bolts and push it backward?

How is the water pump?

Worst case scenario I can think of, if everything else checked out, is the a/c compressor mounting bracket not aligned correctly on the block. There are 2 roll pins to pin it into the block for alignment purpose. They either are missing or mashed up if the bracket was removed for repair, such as to replace the leaking coolant o-ring sandwiched between it and the block.

You can not move the compressor on the bolts, There is no adjustment . The ac bracket is part of the lower radiator hose outlet so there is no moving that either. I have to get a couple of compressors together and measure the Gauge line and compare them. The information from Sanden is not really clear on how they measure so I think I'm on my own on this one
Just thought someone has seen this before.
Knowing Dodge, They probably specked out a special pulley on the diesel that most of the rebuilders miss installing
Thanks for all the answers anyway:beer:

You can not move the compressor on the bolts, There is no adjustment .
you can, as the bolt OD is not snug tight to compressor's bolt hole ID.
The ac bracket is part of the lower radiator hose outlet so there is no moving that either.
They shouldn't move when assembled correctly. The ac/alternator bracket have 2 roll pins between it and the block for alignment. can easily be lost or mashed up during a repair job.

btw pics can help us to help you. or you're on your own.

I will get some pictures when I go back to work on the truck. Right now it is in Mooresville and I'm in Cary. And the owner is in New York for a couple of weeks . I really don't think the small amount of play in the bolt holes will be of any help in my situation. The alignment problem exceeds the amount I can get by moving the compressor on the bolts.
I will update this when i get more info Thanks!

try another compressor. the dodge compressors and the f700 cummins compressors look the same, but the belt spacing if off. they might have boxed the wrong one and sent it to you.

try another compressor. the dodge compressors and the f700 cummins compressors look the same, but the belt spacing if off. they might have boxed the wrong one and sent it to you.
Im going to do that when I get my hands on the truck again
Thanks for the support

Top Back Refresh