What's new

22re swap, what can i eliminate?

i just went from turbo 22r to LS, and can tell you it is heavier, i have not put the buggy on a scale but i did redo the spring calc on my coils. i had 150/175 front and 150 150 rear, now i had 250 front and 175 front and 200/175 rear. i did not increase alot but most of my weight i think came from the difference in tcase and tranny. th350 /205/magnum from toy 5 speed to dual cases.

i just went from turbo 22r to LS, and can tell you it is heavier, i have not put the buggy on a scale but i did redo the spring calc on my coils. i had 150/175 front and 150 150 rear, now i had 250 front and 175 front and 200/175 rear. i did not increase alot but most of my weight i think came from the difference in tcase and tranny. th350 /205/magnum from toy 5 speed to dual cases.

Ya, but you only had 1 transmission?:flipoff2:

Aluminum 5.3 is 110lbs lighter than iron, so that helps.

I'd imagine that 205 and doubler are around 250lbs? So roughly double the atlas.

6l80e is not light and will probably even it out.

I'm not saying I won't gain wieght, but I doubt it will be a crazy amount.

Problem is one guy weighing a long block, another weighing a fully dressed engine. Also, that aluminum block is light. I don't think an iron 5.3 would be very close.

The real difference is adding all the other shit to make a functional rig. I already plan on the atlas and 60s, so why not.

Which puts me full circle back to dropping a 22re in, and worrying about a real engine la
here is my 205 magnum. but even if you did not find that unicorn of 5.3 engine and went iron block. its only 100 pounds. hell mount the winch in the back them. hahah

and i did upgrade to 32 spline front so that will add a few more OZ. hahaha
1687441034931.png

here is my 205 magnum. but even if you did not find that unicorn of 5.3 engine and went iron block. its only 100 pounds. hell mount the winch in the back them. hahah

and i did upgrade to 32 spline front so that will add a few more OZ. hahaha

Well damn, I've always said the 205 wasn't all that much heavier than any other tcase and here I am guilty of posting a ridiculous guess :homer:

All 5.3s after around 07 are aluminum, so not that hard to find. There's a truck for 3k local to me that's complete, same price as a 22re truck :laughing:

I don't care that much about aluminum vs iron block, but I am stuck on the 6l80e and it's much easier to run one with the engine it came behind, which will be aluminum block.

eliminate the 22re and go a 4age. Be a man, with horsepower.

Don't most 4age's make like 2hp less than a 22re? :flipoff2:

I used to have a 1st gen mr2 an do have soft spot for them, always wanted to put a 20v in a samurai, but I can't imagine a Rev happy 1.6 trying to push a 6k loaded trail rig on 40s.

Eventually you'll only have a toyota throttle pedal, and everything will be right in the world.

Head gaskets, timing chains and rod knocks. Fuck those engines.

Eventually you'll only have a toyota throttle pedal, and everything will be right in the world.

you know that is kinda true.

whats left of my 83 is my gas pedal and rear view mirror , brake pedal is from a 91 toy. and about 2 foot of factory frame. and yes things are just about right....

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, the 82 I grew up in was treated terrible and still has the original engine. My 90 4runner had 250k miles when I got it and spent lots of time with the exhaust manifold glowing and on the Rev limiter. I did spin a bearing once when I let it get low on oil. Limped home, slapped $12 autozone rod bearing set in it and beat on it for a few more years before it burned in a fire.

Picked up this gem for what I thought was an OK deal.

Has a cel, but also no o2 sensor in the exhaust, so assuming thats why. Runs really good, was able to gain speed in 4th gear up a 6% grade. 65+ mph easy.

I think I'm going to drive it to work for a few days or so just in hopes of any issues popping up now.

Then I'm thinking about switching engines, since my 22r still runs, and sell it as a beater. Might be able to break even.

20230623_140635.jpg
20230623_151440.jpg

This is disgusting :flipoff2:

I think these swaps are best kept as complete as possible. A lot of people out there saying delete this, delete that, who don't know what they are talking about. It's hard to know who to listen to. If the 81 harness is junk, I'd swap everything over as intended and tap into the 81 gauge cluster. Experiment with removing stuff later.

On my swap everyone said the VSS and STP signal to the ECU weren't needed. Turned out they are, for it to work right. I also found that converting the carbed fuel tank didn't work well and went to an EFI tank.

Unfortunately the donor was a cali emmissions truck. I don't care for all the hoses and shit but it runs good and is getting 18mpg on 35's.

6P7nOmZm.jpg

So I'm thinking I'm going to basically just good it up as stock as possible.

I would like to eliminate the charcoal canister and lines. Looks like you did too looking at your pic?

Well fuck, there is a swap ready 1uz and aw4 on fbmp for the same price guys want for a 22re......:laughing:
If it's an sc400 1uz do it. The ls499 version is a bit of a bitch with it's hydraulic fan, front sump pan and exhaust manifolds that shit directly into the frame rails but the SC is rear sump with basically block huggers manifolds.

If it's an sc400 1uz do it. The ls499 version is a bit of a bitch with it's hydraulic fan, front sump pan and exhaust manifolds that shit directly into the frame rails but the SC is rear sump with basically block huggers manifolds.

It sold quick, I have the 22re now, so staying on track. Plan is to throw it in soon and then when it comes out for a real engine. I'd like to rebuild it and put it in the 82 that I grew up in. It's staying stock, but efi would be nice.

I texted Tydes about the 1uz, since he's the only guy I know off running one. Basically asked if he were to donit again would he do a uz or ls. He said ls :laughing:

A 1uz to an r150 would be very fun in a 2wd pickup though :smokin:

Yea I kept reading and saw the parts truck buy after posting. :homer:

Pretty simple swap. Lose the egr, air tubes to the exhaust, all the junk under the lower intake and the vacuum lines on the intake. Stone simple swap, been there, done that.

The engine harness is simple, pull the passenger kick panel, drop the computer and unplug it. The whole harness comes out the firewall.

So I'm thinking I'm going to basically just good it up as stock as possible.

I would like to eliminate the charcoal canister and lines. Looks like you did too looking at your pic?
I have a charcoal canister mounted to the firewall behind the intake. Don't remember what year canister I used but its not very big and there are factory bolt holes that the bracket matched up to.

I have a charcoal canister mounted to the firewall behind the intake. Don't remember what year canister I used but its not very big and there are factory bolt holes that the bracket matched up to.

Looks like the charcoal canister is just to catch tank fumes, so not needed. Just need to vent tank somewhere.

Have not decided if I'm using the stock tank or a fuel cell yet.

I was looking at RZ swap stuff and found this. It might be some info you could use with your RE swap.

Top Back Refresh