What's new

22r timing chain morphed into adding turbo update love the turbo

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good am all,

so i got the front of the engine tore apart and doing the timing chain and then decided to put the turbo on that i have had on the shelf for over a year, i did not do it mid season for fear i would screw it up and then be out of a wheeling season and then is sept 2021 i got a yukon to do LS swap but finding parts and not breaking the bank is a challenge so i am getting parts still and will attempt the swap next winter once i have all i need. so far i have two 205s, a th350 and 5.3, still need a slew of little things.

anyway i decided to put my turbo on since i have it and i tore it apart. so thats this weekends plan more pics to follow. try to document the best i can.

i got the turbo kit from GOTPROPANE and so far it looks like it has everything needed.

some things i need to address,
power steering cooler need to move to passenger side i think, its not mounted right now but where i had it is where the propane mixer and air cleaner may need to be.
exhaust is dumping close to my gas pedal so i need to think about that
ign needs to move also, no biggie.

IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3576.JPG

Here is the first update about had the timing chain done going back to the assembly and I realized the guides were different so then did a little research counted the timing chain links on the old one I had 96 counter the timing chain links on the new one there’s 98 so over the years I’ve switched around motors and stuff like that oh I think this one was an 86 engine and I ordered one for 84 so with that being said I might take this time now and put the ARP head studs in what the heck

since i am waiting on parts to come i decided to mock up the turbo and start that process.

i am able to dump exhaust strait down, the turbo exit is 2.5 inches but i wanted 3 inch exhaust so i got a vband adapter to go from 2.3 to 3 inch and the a 90 degree stainless elbow to dump out the back,

the turbo manifold is a simple log style that i got from gotpropane and allows me to mount the turbo in any location off that log.because the way everything is laid out i needed to mount the turbo at a slight angle to fit space where the exhaust has to go.

IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_5012.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_5029.JPG

not sure how i like the turbo orientation yet, i may play around yet and see if i can get it at a 45 angle toward the intake instead of a 90.

The chain length difference is tall deck vs short deck. Good on you for eliminating headgasket issues. Should be fun. I think the stock pistons will be the downfall so long as you dont window the block.

the gasket was cheap i think 40 bucks or less. i was quite surprised, the studs, oh they are proud of them things for sure

no real updates, i did lock out the dizzy last night, that turned out to be easier than once thought. and i ground out the two spots on the valve cover where the arp studs hit and watched some top gear in the shop because my internet works there. thats when i decided i needed to go inside. lol

had a party this weekend and dinner sunday night so not too much was done but i did get the turbo and mixer orientation or is that called vaporizer? hmmm.. i was going to just run the charge pipe for the air cleaner over the top of the valve cover but was gonna be way to high up in the air, so i decided run the charge pipe to the drivers side then over brake booster and back of fire wall to air cleaner. add a couple of 90s witch are ordered.
i think i mounting the air clean in board to center of engine just above the dizzy cap. undecided exactly, may go strait up and down.

the messed up thing is when you have a blank slate and you can mount anything any way you like, and sometimes that is harder than you think because there is nothing but air there. anyway here are a couple pics of the progress.

still need to mount my ignition and power steering res someplace else, may mount it on the passenger side and see how that goes. getting kinda tight on drivers side.
IMG_5060.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

good morning

got it started yesterday, i had to mess with the timing a tiny bit but she runs.. and love the whistle thats for sure. i am building the charge pipe out of steel, and lots of wiring and hoses need to be addressed. but it runs and purrs like a kitten. so cool. i did notice i had alot of oil on the floor this morning, so that will need to be investigated

for sure. maybe loose connection on my oil feed line i hope

It's not too late.

Also, a flapper is a must.

If you're really a pussy, you can put a exhaust cut out to switch back and forth. :flipoff2:

Nice job.

What’s the muffler ?
I’m at that stage with mine and have all new factory pieces, except the muffler….

🍻

Top Back Refresh